Blowing in the Wind

bracket

Reaction score
When is it going to stop? In my area, while the river has been there or thereabouts, the wind has been South West and galeforce for around three weeks now. The one advantage has been that it is mild. The negatory side (Thought I'd throw in a bit of Yankee Lingo, just to establish my international street cred) is that on my club's stretch, the wind is downgate and at you all the time. Truth to tell I have struggled to fish the float. Yesterday was the worst, the wind was a screamer. I was determined to catch an the float, so the "Noddy Stick" stayed in the bag. During the few and far between, brief periods of relative calm I did manage six grayling, The remainder of the time it was an angling travesty. More like flying a kite than putting a stick float through, but as I said, whilst unloading my gear, to a sarcastic passer-by on his way to collar "It's got to be better than working Pal!". Today, I picked up some large diameter balsa dowel in order to make a few of those Neil Maidment Jumbo Floats and give them a try. So this afternoon I will be mainly cutting, gluing, sanding and painting. Dread to think what my old Trentmen Muckers would say, seeing me use that amount of lead. They'ed have me certified. On a more seasonal note I would like to wish all the members of the Forum and those members I have had the pleasure of meeting up with on the bank "All the very best to You and Yours for the Yule Tide and the coming New Year. Pete.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Same to you Pete, have a nice one and enjoy a grog or two, make sure its after your bit of DIY not before. Sorry about the wind, same problem myself on Sunday, resorted to a link leger but its not the same is it.
Happy Christmas to all the FM band as well while I am here.

Last edited:
B

binka

I think it's one of life's ironies Pete in that we like mild winter temperatures but the southerly and westerly directions always seem to blow in with a gusto.

I've been using some really heavy Woodys on and off all season, in fact during the summer I would rig one up on a separate rod in addition to the standard stick and the heavier, bulk, shot down presentation would often pick off a barbel immediately from the very same line I'd been running the stick through.

Lets hope for calmer days to come.

All the very best to you too Pete and many thanks, have a good one and to everyone here on FM :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can be entirely truthful and say that I rarely use a "proper" stick float. Four No6s just doesn't cut it on the water I usually fish, nor does it seem to matter much for the species I'm generally fishing for. Grayling are my regular quarry. It's often the case that I'm fishing at ranges that I'd not even be able to see a stick float. I consider 3bb floats to be fairly light. 3-5AA is probably closer to my average running water float, but I'm not remotely concerned about using up to 7AA or so. I usually bulk shot as well. Much less problematic in wind and I'm pretty sure that I'm not missing bites. Things may be different if I were fishing a deeper slower river for small roach and skimmers.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well .

17MPH around here tomorrow so the forcast says (probably double it knowing my luck) off for just overa week now and intend to fish most days weather permitting , although not sure just where yet maybe local cut tomorrow .

PG ...

rubio

Reaction score
Been out this afternoon with the very words 'downgate and at ya' coming to mind as I dragged a float in and out of the flow like a slalom event. Fortunately a few roach and a single ruffe took pity and hung themselves for long enough for me to notice. I'm gonna end up at a pond soon if it keeps up.