What DO they do???

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Still reeling from becoming x years old this year I find myself contemplating x +1 in the New Year – and so do you! Glad we should be then that fishing is there to make life worth living! Fishing compels us to think and to analyze; to apply our thoughts to the practical business at the end of our lines, then to achieve our goal of banking and admiring a creature unknown and unloved by the great majority. Millions who daily cross a bridge into town do so without a thought for what might live beneath the surface of that flow; they’ll be unaware of the fish species, the flow patterns, the shallows and the deeps and the natural drama that captivates so many of their fellow humans. I have often wondered what non-fishermen do with their time; what can they do with their time? How do the majority of people fill their waking leisure hours? What, other than fishing, can occupy their minds and foment spiritual fulfillment for hours, days on end? I dunno! Any comments?

B

binka

There are two things that slow down my life and take my mind entirely away from all other matters, first and foremost is fishing and secondly gardening.

Unlike gardening though, fishing never seems to feel like a chore :)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I've had tons of hobbies over the years the only two I ever stuck with are swimming and fishing. I'm a bit fidgety when fishing but swimming ( I do about 7 - 8 k a week ) completely absorbs me to the point where I dont think about anything at all just totally relaxed.

theartist

Reaction score
I got obsessed with football manager for a while but I stopped when I lead Watford from the championship to the champions league in three seasons. It seemed unrealistic back then :D

Also got into sports betting and trading but stopped when I realized watching football games from obscure leagues around the world was not helping my health.

Always went back to fishing each time as it's in the blood

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I got obsessed with football manager for a while but I stopped when I lead Watford from the championship to the champions league in three seasons. It seemed unrealistic back then :D

Also got into sports betting and trading but stopped when I realized watching football games from obscure leagues around the world was not helping my health.

Always went back to fishing each time as it's in the blood

I got an unhealthy obsession sion with unreal tournament a while back ( its an online video game ) even joined a league "ZDBennyG" also filled my garden with plastic greenhouses and grew some fantastic vegetables I stopped when I lost all the tomatoes to blight. Had a dalliance with various forms of gambling :( i still enjoy cycling but not like a mate who cycles 60k to get to competitions.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Gardening, part of my living, still do it and enjoy it.

Golf, part of my living, don't do it now, bad back.

Rough Shooting, part of my living, don't do it, retired.

Football, use to play it, to old now.

Reading, I still read at least two books a week, will continue to that as long as I can read ?

So that leaves fishing and the family, if I had to I could give up fishing, but hopefully I would never give up the family !!

Bob

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
The Artist wrote: "...I lead Watford from the championship to the champions league in three seasons"

Did I read that right? I know bu*ger-all about football but that seems like an astonishing feat! Blimey..........

Keith M

Reaction score
Fishing, playing Golf (badly), collecting Fishing books and fishing tackle, Painting (watercolours), Photography and Playing the Guitar.

I used to enjoy Shotokan Karate which kept me fit but I'm getting too old for that now
I also loved swimming but since my stroke a few years ago I just keep swimming around in circles LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

dann

Reaction score
My main one is cycling, both road and mountain bikes. A bit like fishing, it gets me out in the countryside and distracts me from life for a few hours.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The Artist wrote: "...I lead Watford from the championship to the champions league in three seasons"

Did I read that right? I know bu*ger-all about football but that seems like an astonishing feat! Blimey..........

That was just before he woke up................;)

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Over the past 10 years managing and teaching cricket for Colts teams at local cricket club.

Recently qualified as ECB umpire and spend saturdays doing that in the summer.

Having moved to near Ross on Wye couple months ago lots DIY and gardening.

Managed 5 barbel last 6 hours on the bank high Wye.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
That was just before he woke up................;)

I'm afraid it was all true and I did wake up -to play the final at 6 in the morning!!! that's when you know you're taking it a bit too far. Didn't affect my love life though as told the missus i was having an affair:D

ken more

Reaction score

There is the possibility of a job or two in the Premier League in the offing, might be an idea to get a C.V. at the ready:D:w Hear they pay a decent wedge too:)

wanderer

Reaction score
I have no idea what they do Cliff, i can only say my own hobby is fishing and my wonderful dogs, bit of home brewing and drinking and catching my beloved Irons whenever i can.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
I'm also a keen diver. It has had two profound effects on my fishing, firstly, I've seen my quarry in their natural environment. It gives me a better understanding of what actually goes on down there, making me a more efficient angler, but has also removed the mystery. Secondly, seeing our fishy friends in this way makes me less inclined to what to stick hooks in them. Perhaps I'm going soft in my old age!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I've had tons of hobbies over the years the only two I ever stuck with are swimming and fishing. I'm a bit fidgety when fishing but swimming ( I do about 7 - 8 k a week ) completely absorbs me to the point where I dont think about anything at all just totally relaxed.
Last year I managed to combine swimming and fishing. My advice to others would be to do each activity separately.

Last edited:

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I used to play football, too old now. I had motorbikes that I could just go out and ride for hours on end and sit in the garage polishing it for hours. I used to dabble in a bit of kart racing at a very low level and that was huge fun. These days it's fishing and I actually enjoy spending a few hours cleaning and polishing my car, or my wifes' car, or my sons car come to think of it. Strangely therapeutic plus it gets me outside for a few hours.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I often say to Mrs G. how did I cram all this in.

Weight training, but past it now.

Martial Arts, ditto.

Archery, ditto.

Photography.

Greenhouse gardening.

All the above fitted around fishing.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Football 60’s – early 70’s, Shotokan 1965 – 80, Sankuka1980 – 86, Clubman m/c racing mid-late 60’s, Skiing, Scuba Diving and Photography.

Again, the above fitted around fishing - I'm still able to take photographs.........................