Barbel rods

ben10

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First of all merry Christmas! Hope santa brought everything you wanted and you're still talking to the Mrs - being it's the one time of year they realise what fishing tackle costs ;)

Quick question....Hopefully in the right section!

I recently bought 2 tfg tremor barbel rods and on closer inspection have found the lacquer starting to peel along some of the blank.

Is this a cause for concern or is it mainly a cosmetic issue? Just wondering if I need to be looking at re lacquering them soon if it will have a detrimental impact on the rod.

Thanks in advance for the help guys and happy new year!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They're nice rods, a friend of mine has a couple and he loves them.
The peeling laquer won't cause any harm to the rod but it may look unsightly. I don't know why this happens but it even happens on high end (very expensive) rods. I've heard people say putting a rod away when it's wet can cause it and it probably will but I have even seen new unused rods with bubbles under the varnish/laquer.
It can be scraped off and re-varnished, i've done it myself on some old daiwa rods and you couldn't tell that i'd done it! Saying that you may be better off getting a rod builder do it for you, I can't see it being a coslty job.

ben10

Reaction score
It's mainly on the underside of the blank so not massively noticeable in use.

Just wanted to confirm that's it's only cosmetic as as you say I'd rather get it done professionally but I'd also rather wait to do it with some spare cash than having to find the money to have it done immediately.

Thanks for the help!

robtherake

Reaction score
It's a fairly easy DIY job; just rub down with fine grade wet-and-dry, then apply the replacement lacquer/varnish with your fingertip to get a smooth finish. As long as the area you're doing it in isn't too dusty it should be indistinguishable from new. I can't see it harming the rod if you leave it, though; it's only cosmetic. It depends how much it's doing your head in, I suppose. :D