''The last hoorah''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Quite a few of my old friends have had for one reason or another a very poor season compared to previous years. Most however are determined to give it the gun up to the end. As one old friend explained it, '' I've been at this too long to allow something with a brain the size of a pea to defeat me''.

So my question is, are you up for the last hoorah, or is your tackle already stowed away?

naxian62

Reaction score
A combination of less work for me in the Winter and less people out and about, on the banks and on the water, means I fish more than ever through Dec, Jan and Feb.

lambert1

Reaction score
My absence from the "How did you get on" thread has nothing to do with the temperature ( I asked for and got thermals for Christmas!) and my gear is still very much ready, should the opportunity arise. I hope to get out soon, but other matters must take priority I am afraid.:(

rayner

Reaction score
Stowed away, sorry to say but I can't get motivated. We're in the mildest winter I can remember and still can't be bothered.
I have always hated Autumn and it feels like Autumn maybe that's my problem.
I have no idea how my local venues are performing nor care, and I've been nowhere near the tackle shop.
On the plus side I have no issues of any kind I love football and one or two bets are up, I've even got my Teeling.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek

I love fishing at this time of the year, a lot less pressure from other anglers who are not up for the challenge !!

Since I had a stroke a month ago I have not been out, but as soon as I'm given the all clear I will be there.

So watch out the Lea Navigation Perch ?

Bob

snooozer

Reaction score
Stowed as usual, but i must admit too thinking that i was too hasty.
Ya think lol

My Barra is all loaded ready for end of the week outing on a new puddle.
Last Hoorah, Not even close if the weather stays like this the rods won't see much sleep, Can't say the same for me tho :rolleyes:

It doesn't have to be a blistering hot day to enjoy Fishing :D

thecrow

Reaction score
Derek

I love fishing at this time of the year, a lot less pressure from other anglers who are not up for the challenge !!

Since I had a stroke a month ago I have not been out, but as soon as I'm given the all clear I will be there.

Bob

I hope you have a speedy recovery and a just as quick return to the bank Bob.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Derek

Bob

We may well pass each other on the Lea at some point Bob, hope your up and fishing very soon.

My gear never goes away, Less anglers on the bank, rivers,lakes and pits almost all empty of anglers.

I was hoping we might have some snow, i seem to do ok in the snow, but this mild weather just seems about right.

The problem i have, with so much water to fish.

Where the hell do i start :eek:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Having spent over two years working on two books back to back I've finally started getting out a lot more these last two months. Although the fishing hasn't been fantastic it has been interesting and enjoyable and I intend to get on some different waters before the end of the season, conditions permitting.

rayner

Reaction score
Derek

Bob

As soon as you feel ready Bob give those Perch hell :thumbs:

peterjg

Reaction score
Too stupid to give up - fishing 3 days a week - being hopeless I need to fish a lot! It's tough but someone's got to do it!

bracket

Reaction score
The last hooray? Not for me pal. I am still enjoying the "first hooray". The last one is not even on the distant horizon as far as I am concerned. My gear, like myself, is always finely honed and ready to go (river conditions permitting ). Pete.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My gear is always on standby....and I prefer the winter months simply because there are generally fewer people about to spoil my desire for a bit of solitude. My problem currently is drumming up sufficient enthusiasm to actually go. The older I get the more of a chore getting ready and going has become.

I've never been so driven that I have simply got to go and nor did I ever want to be. I'm currently weighing up whether I can be bothered to get out this week and at the moment, looking at the forecast, the answer is " no".

Keith M

Reaction score
My hands and fingers start to sieze up in the cold now that I'm getting older, but it doesn't stop me, I love fishing in the Autumn and Winter almost as much as in the Spring.

If the water starts to freeze then I target a local stillwater which used to be cress beds that is fed by warm underwater springs and rarely freezes over.

Otherwise I wait till the temperatures and air pressures have been fairly steady for a day or two and wander along my local stream; or if the cold wind is being a problem I will sit by my local estate lake with the shelter of the trees all around me.

Thankfully I have retired so can choose to go any day I want to, but if I had to go to work and rely on weekends only then I might think differently and go far less during the winter months LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Three short Wye sessions for 7 barbel last week, just after NY a Warks Avon day then off to the Frome in a few days for a 2 day session with a good pal.

Couldn't be better. Get some thermals, gortex suit and scotch in the flask. Heaven

B

binka

I'm gunning it as usual, both to the end of the year and to the end of the season.

This season has been a red letter one for me and I really don't want it to end, if the remaining third throws up what the previous two have i'll be one extra happy chappy :)

Good luck to all in their efforts over what remains of the season.

flightliner

Reaction score
The next three months are the ones I have been waiting for all season, love the whole winter scenario. Wonderful time to be out for me.