Weights and Measures police!

laguna

Reaction score
I'm pretty much old school when it comes to Pounds and Ounces regards weighing my fish. I don't often catch near record weight to bother weighing to the degree of dram accuracy but you never know... :wh and have a hard time converting from imperial to decimal Kg's or parts thereof in me head so have a chart.
Shot is put on the line as No.1, BB, AAA, Swan etc. I don't use styls so don't feel it necessary to convert, just take shot out of the split shot dispenser and that's that... Old money rules!

BUT when it comes to ledger weights I prefer grams. 20g, 25g, 30g leads go figure!
The reason I probably use grams for ledger leads and pounds and ounces for fish is that pre decimalization I hardly ever ledgered and preferred to float fish so wasn't familiar with them. I maybe had a couple of large arlesey bombs tucked away in my box but nothing more for when trotting was out of the question. Each fish (of a decent size) caught back then was weighed in LB's and luckily shot is still sold the way it was back in the day.

These days I use leads more and so prefer the gram. Some ledger weights have both ounce and the equivalent gram writing on.

How do you refer to your weights, grams or ounces?

john step

Reaction score
Old money for me...never could understand how many grams made a yard:eek:mg:

rayner

Reaction score
Fish are weighed in pounds and ounces, everything else metric just because everything I buy is in metric. :thumbs:
I consider myself old school I'm an imperial guy, "I hate metric" for too tricky for a Yorkshire lad :(

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Pounds and ounces for me and Fahrenheit, feet and inches, miles per hour etc except decimal coinage, I picked that up a bit sharpish!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Pounds and ounces for me and Fahrenheit, feet and inches, miles per hour etc except decimal coinage, I picked that up a bit sharpish!

Good lad...me too. I am unashamedly Old School Imperial. I have no idea what a Hectare is other than he had a House and a very annoying ladder climbing French frog as a neighbour.

A pox on all measures metric.

wanderer

Reaction score
As all of you above, i used to work for an American Engineering company, never a thought of the U.S. going metric imperial forever, me too.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I miss the old passport, it was substantial in a royal blue with the crown embossed all over it. I always thought it kind of said -"don't mess with me mate". Now I have an insignificant piece of plastic crud that says - well, fa really.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I started pole fishing relatively late, in the early 90's so for me I can easily understand floats in grams whereas for feeders and legers I still think in ounces, regardless of buying them in weights measured in grams. That said I also think of 0.016 line and not x lbs B/S . . . . .

I have lived many years in Europe and Scandinavia so Metric is second nature to me, but I (like everyone else in my local pub') still order a pint of beer . . . . . and I also always order fruit and vegetables in pounds and not kilos.

Even driving here at home I tend to translate speed limits from mph to kph, again having spent so long in Europe and Scandinavia it just seems to mean more to me . . . . .

thecrow

Reaction score
Pounds and ounces for me, ounces for leads as I have no clue what grammes are when it comes to weight,

I believe that there are a couple of members from the Netherlands, what do they use when weighing fish?

Pound and ounces
Kilo's and grammes
Dutch pounds and ounces

Chefster

Reaction score
Pounds and ounces,for weighing fish.....feeder weights are in grams ie 24g etc...pole floats are either in grams,ie .2,.3,.4g or style sizes ie 3x8,4x10,4x12 etc,although they are shotted with shots,which needs calculating.....Main line for feeder/float is lbs/ozs.....m/l and h/l for pole is line diameter,ie 0.13mm etc,...Gazza:D

bracket

Reaction score
For me there is no issue. A float will take so much lead and a feeder needs to hold on the deck. So what it takes is what it takes, be it, lbs, ozes, gms, kilos or just a slack handful of whatever is in the bag. Pete

john step

Reaction score
Just another example of nonsense..... Car wheel diameters are in INCHES but the tread and circumference is in Metric.

Windscreen wipers are in INCHES even Bosch ones:wh

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Pounds and ounces,for weighing fish.....feeder weights are in grams ie 24g etc...pole floats are either in grams,ie .2,.3,.4g or style sizes ie 3x8,4x10,4x12 etc,although they are shotted with shots,which needs calculating.....Main line for feeder/float is lbs/ozs.....m/l and h/l for pole is line diameter,ie 0.13mm etc,...Gazza:D

And there, gentlemen, is the case for the defence. I am sure Gaz knows what all that means but he lost me after " fish".:D

Keith M

Reaction score
It's lb's and ounces for me too, and SSG AA, BB, 1, 4, 6, & 8 for shot.

The only thing I've had to learn since I started to do a little lure fishing is that a 50 gram spinning rod is more powerful than a 25 or 5 gram spinning rod and the 50, 25 or 5 grams is the approximate weight of the lures they're made to cast (well that's what I think anyway LOL.) and unfortunately all my lures and spinning rods are only marked in Grams.

Keith

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
I find it easier to use grams for weighing and adding up small things, saying 10g instead of 0.35274 ounces for example.

Who's clever enough to tell me in old money (without googling) what a quarter of a 3 ounce lead weighs? :D

and in new money? :eek:

Keith M

Reaction score
I find it easier to use grams for weighing and adding up small things, saying 10g instead of 0.35274 ounces for example.

Who's clever enough to tell me in old money (without googling) what a quarter of a 3 ounce lead weighs? :D

and in new money? :eek:

Three quarters of an ounce ? I would just half it 'twice' to give a quarter and that's good enough for an old fart like me LOL.

What three quarters of an ounce is in Grams? I couldn't tell you without looking it up as I can only guess how many Grams there are in a pound let alone how many Grams there are in an ounce and in the time it took me to work it out properly I could have already cast and caught a fish LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Either or suits me.

I also work internationally, and most countries have no idea about pounds and ounces, USA aside. But the US are even worse than us when it comes to hanging onto imperial measures. They have no idea of Centigrade or litres.

I am of the generation that saw decimalisation and the general metric switch so happy to work with either, though I do struggle to 'visualise' grams in my mind in the way I can visualise ounces.

Also does anyone else look at the price of something for example at 85pence and mentally think 17 shillings for that? WTF! Or am I the only one?