Frozen maggots

dann

Reaction score
I saw a thread a few days ago about frozen or preserved maggots but I can't find it now.

Does anybody regularly use frozen maggots with any success?

Unfortunately I don't have a tackle shop close by and and as I often get out for a few hours at short notice, I could do without having to do a 15 ish mile round trip on the way to the river or canal. I know other baits are available but on the venues I fish, my experience is nothing else comes close to maggots.

I have ordered some of legunas krill preserve too but not had a chance to try it yet.

Cheers,

Dan.

Chefster

Reaction score
I saw a thread a few days ago about frozen or preserved maggots but I can't find it now.

Unfortunately I don't have a tackle shop close by and and as I often get out for a few hours at short notice, I could do without having to do a 15 ish mile round trip on the way to the river or canal. I know other baits are available but on the venues I fish, my experience is nothing else comes close to maggots.

I have ordered some of legunas krill preserve too but not had a chance to try it yet.

Cheers,

Dan.
Hello mate,i use dead maggots a lot in the summer,for carp,skimmers etc,but prefer live ones for F1,s or for all species in winter..Simple to freeze them though,riddle off all maize,add some krill powder,shake about to coat them,and squeeze air out of the bag,and freeze them,leave in there for a couple of days at least to ensure they are dead.Any you dont use,can be re-frozen..Best to freeze them in 1pt batches
When you are at the bankside,keep them in water,and they retain their colour..In winter,as i say i like to use live ones,they keep for a good few weeks,just keep riddling them and adding fresh maize,they do shrink a bit though..As for the preserved ones that Laguna does,ive not tried,so cant really comment...Gazza:D

dannyboy1

Reaction score
I freeze all my left over maggots.

I use them regularly in the spring and summer for carp and for fishing up in the water for ide in commercial fisheries. They are a totally different animal dead to alive, almost a different bait mate.

Live maggots would always be my first choice for rivers,natural or sliver fish fishing situations. Dead maggots lose a bit of their weight, so are harder to loose feed into the wind, also they sink slower. Which is great for up in the water ide fishing but less than ideal in a powerful river

Sent from my HP 8 G2 using Tapatalk

wanderer

Reaction score
I agree with Gazza, unless you are carp fishing, the live maggots will serve you better , the dead maggots for carp during the summer is merely to stop them burrowing into the silt, go live mate or choose a different bait.

dann

Reaction score
******, was hoping for a different answer but I suspected the above.

It is more for Autumn and winter that I wanted it and for rivers and canals. In the summer I tend to have a bit more time for fishing with more daylight and no kids rugby on the weekend so I am more prepared.

Thanks for the feedback anyway, will have to keep experimenting with alternatives.

Chefster

Reaction score
******, was hoping for a different answer but I suspected the above.

It is more for Autumn and winter that I wanted it and for rivers and canals. In the summer I tend to have a bit more time for fishing with more daylight and no kids rugby on the weekend so I am more prepared.

Thanks for the feedback anyway, will have to keep experimenting with alternatives.
For canals you could use pinkies,they keep for about a month,in a bait fridge,riddled regular...I would get maggots,they will keep for a good few weeks this time of year,in a fridge,thats only a trip to the tackle shop every 2-3 weeks:thumbs:

dann

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. Doesn't sound like rocket science when you see it written down, just me looking for a shortcut and a way around my bad planning

Perhaps that should be my New Years resolution.

Chefster

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. Doesn't sound like rocket science when you see it written down, just me looking for a shortcut and a way around my bad planning

Perhaps that should be my New Years resolution.
For the canal mate,waz up a few loaves of white bread in the food processor,freeze that down in bags,take a few slices,get a bag out of the freezer and have a session on the punch:D,Buy a kilo of worm,or acquire some,and have a few sessions on chop worm..,Bread flake or worm on the river,,,etc..etc,theres loads of different things you can try,for impromptu sessions,if you havent organised any maggot..Gazza

tonybull

Reaction score
Your catch on dead maggot on rivers and canals and lakes all year round if the fish are there.

Buy a pint of reds and half a pint of pinkies and seperate them into lots small bags with zips on, you get the bags from the pound shop. Freeze them and they will last you for ages.

For rivers/canals Just feed them with hemp in a swim feeder if your feeder fishing or if your trotting use a bait dropper. You don't need to feed lots this time of year and you can always feed some damp crumb in the feeder and bait dropper as well the hemp and maggot.

Just experiment, but don't go putting loads of bait in.

And as Chefster said.

dann

Reaction score
Thanks Gazza. Bread was my preferred last minute bait but I have not had much luck on it recently. I should really get back to it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

laguna

Reaction score

Cheers,

Dan.

Hi Dann just seen this post... for those that have tried will confirm, live are better than frozen dead maggots, but deads drowned in concentrated krill juice are superb! :w

Its always convenient to have some left over maggots and carry them around in your bait bag as a back up for other sessions, a no-freeze way to kill.

Technically, the juices of the maggots are exchanged through a process of osmosis with concentrated krill extract. They mostly remain plump and ooze natural krill flavour when put in the water. They work all-year-round mate. Krilled maggots reign supreme on any water and stand out as a hook bait amongst the rest of your freebies.

All the best.

rayner

Reaction score
Some good advice above especially from tonybull.
Only thing to add from me is dead maggot doesn't fire very well from a catapult. They work well year round for the same reason as stated previously they lay on the silt.
I bag the maggots and don't freeze them until they are motionless in the bag, this way freezing doesn't stretch them.
If you are only keeping maggots for a few weeks they can be kept in a fresh state by sealing them in a bag, give a breath of air every day and they keep for weeks in a fridge far better than just leaving them in a tub.
One remember thing to remember the longer the time spent dormant in the bag the longer the time to come round, when they do revive they are as fresh as when you buy them.
Without the bag in the fridge I would definitely freeze them.

john step

Reaction score
dann,
I am in a situation like you but twice that distance to travel for bait.
I don't fish matches where every ounce counts so I don't use live maggots so I cannot compare but I do know I catch enough fish to know they work.

I always use frozen. Flavoured or unflavoured. The whole point that needs emphasising to those who live near a tackle shop is convenience and travel costs.

They DO work all year. I buy in bulk and freeze separate packets.
When you get to the waterside tip them into a tub of water until defrosted and use from the tub of water.
They will then catapult well, but you will get cold fingers in winter! Keep a towel handy!
Any left over can be rinsed in sieve at home and refrozen. Save these for adding to groundbait for balling in in warmer times.

Dead maggots will catch river barbel,perch,Tench and every other fish that like live maggots. Guaranteed!!

To get confidence in dead 'uns, feed them as normal by hand or pult and put one on the hook but add a tiny piece of small worm. Very soon you will not feel the need for the worm and trust the dead' un

Last edited:

dann

Reaction score
Thanks John, nice to get another opinion.

I plan to do some experimenting with frozen, krill preserved and some alternatives like bread too. Failing that, I'll be more organised.

john step

Reaction score
Thanks John, nice to get another opinion.

I plan to do some experimenting with frozen, krill preserved and some alternatives like bread too. Failing that, I'll be more organised.

Do let us all know how you get on please.

dannyboy1

Reaction score
I guarantee you what ever you do with dead maggots, they won't have the same weight as a live maggot and they will sink slower.

I keep all my dead maggots in water it stops them from decomposing fast also I freeze them in tubs riddled and free from maise or sawdust

Sent from my HP 8 G2 using Tapatalk

seth49

Reaction score
Just been thinking about preserving maggots in krill juice.
Would using a pellet pump help things along.
Anyone tried this?.

rayner

Reaction score
Dannyboy's right deads do sink slower, perfect for fishing shallow.
They are my go to bait for shallow margin fishing. Carp can't get enough.