The Woodbine Challenge 1973

B

binka

Cheers Neil I enjoyed skimming through that, look forward to watching it properly later.

Interesting to see a young Ken Giles who I first became familiar with around a decade later as master river float man, I can't remember who he fished for but might have been Dorking?

He is one bloke who never seemed to look any different throughout his life.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I thought it was all about smoking Woodbine's at first ;).

I wonder if the river has a good head of Roach today.

I noticed at times, some anglers never bothered to change maggots from one fish to another.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I thought it was all about smoking Woodbine's at first ;).

I wonder if the river has a good head of Roach today.

I noticed at times, some anglers never bothered to change maggots from one fish to another.

Me too, I gave up smoking 'Wild Woodbines' in 1967 - five years before I gave up smokin' ..................

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I fished several qualifiers in that era (and when it became The Embassy) but never managed to get to Denmark. One of my uncles did and I seem to remember he weighed in about 40lb/50lb for pretty much nowhere! Very much at home on the Guden which was similar in pace and power to the Hampshire Avon.

flightliner

Reaction score
Steve, I may be wide off the mark here but I seem remember Kenny Giles fishing for the Coften Hacket squad ???

Neil, my nieghbour over the road qualified for the match but a week before the match he ran off the road on his way to a big open on the Welland and spent a long time in hospital.

B

binka

Steve, I may be wide off the mark here but I seem remember Kenny Giles fishing for the Coften Hacket squad ???

You're absolutely right Mick he did, during the 60's & 70's I think.

Don't know where I got Dorking from, maybe he was from Dorking? :eek:mg: :D

flightliner

Reaction score
You're absolutely right Mick he did, during the 60's & 70's I think.

Don't know where I got Dorking from, maybe he was from Dorking? :eek:mg: :D

That was the time my budding career as a match angler came crashing to the ground Steve - lol.