''Is one rod a thing of the past''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It seems so to me, with the exception of Carp fishing where two or three rods were in use as far back as the late forties. Multi rod use is now employed in almost every branch of fishing.

I have been given a variety of reasons why, from testing alternate baits and terminal rigs, but I remain unconvinced.

Do you have an opinion?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Yes...I can see the advantage of multiple rods to do as you've suggested, Derek. I dislike fishing two rods but when I have my zander head on it does allow me to fish different baits at different ranges or with different end rigs. I will only do it if I'm expecting to have to wait a bit but I don't like it and I would never do it on a river OR mix "styles" ie one float/one lead.

Personally I'd rather fish one rod well than two rods badly and in my experience the "other" rod is a right royal PITA once a fish is hooked. I get in enough of a state as it is without making things any more difficult.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Many years ago I was dragged into the "sleeper rod" convention but to be honest neither that rod, nor my float rod were really being given the attention they deserved, so I swiftly dropped the whole idea.

If you are Carp, Bream or Tench fishing at a distance then I can see the point of multiple rods, but for float fishing then one rod is more than enough I'd say.

That said, and being an old match angler, I will often set up 2 or 3 float rods to different depths to avoid time-wasting fiddling about with float positions and shotting patterns, typically a couple of waggler rods and one stick float rod . . . . . but naturally only using one at a time.

Last edited:

qtaran111

Reaction score
Personally I'd rather fish one rod well than two rods badly and in my experience the "other" rod is a right royal PITA once a fish is hooked. I get in enough of a state as it is without making things any more difficult.

I think this sums it up perfectly.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On large waters with a small head of fish I think two or even three rods is a good method to employ. I fish one rod for the biggest part of my fishing....trotting with a rod in each hand can be a little difficult lol.

thecrow

Reaction score
A lot depends on what river I am fishing and strangely which way the river is flowing.

I don't know why but I cannot get on with fishing 2 rods if the river is flowing right to left, other way round and its fine, its possibly something to do with not using one of those pods that look like your beach fishing but using rod rests with the rod butts by the right hand side of my chair.

Other times when I will only fish one rod are when I am fishing a small river that's clear and contains fish that are easily spooked, when the swim I am in has obstructions such as bushes close to the swim or when the swim is one that I expect to get bites in one area only.

I don't agree that when I fish 2 rods that both of them cannot be fished properly, and if positioned correctly one doesn't get in the way of the other, both rod tips are no more than 9 to 12 inches apart so are easily within my field of view.

Fishing 2 rods has often brought me fish that imo I would not have caught as one rod has been used to "explore different parts of the swim often with a different bait or a lead instead of a feeder.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek,

Double the chances with two rods ?

I see it matters little which species you are fishing for, as long the lines are not on top of each other.

If you are fishing on a big gravel pit, with low stocking levels, what odds does it matter what species you are fishing for ?

On rivers I feel more or less the same, unless I'm fishing with a Cane rod and vintage centrepin reel, then of course I would apply old fashion values !!

Bob

rayner

Reaction score
Personally I'd rather fish one rod well than two rod badly and in my experience the "other" rod is a right royal PITA once a fish is hooked. I get in enough of a state as it is without making things any more difficult.[/QUOTE]

Sums it up for me, I like some have said have more rods set up.
Rather than risk hooking fish on more than one rod it's better in my opinion to use one. If folk want to use more I would never object but for me I'd sooner use one and rotate swims and feeding. That keeps me plenty busy enough.
How many rods you use you can only catch one fish at a time.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
On large waters with a small head of fish I think two or even three rods is a good method to employ.

I agree....or when you have enough room to ensure the rods are not "competing" as it were. I'm happy to fish two rods in such circumstances though, as I said before, its a right PITA when a fish kites into the other line.

I do like the flexibility two rods offer....especially as Mr Z can be extraordinarily fussy about what he has for his tea. I always fish different baits until a clear preference emerges....which it often does.

steve2

Reaction score
I think it was **** Walker who said “ when the fish are feeding one rod is enough, if they are not it’s one rod too many”.
Me, I fish two on still waters when tench, bream, pike fishing. Have had problems when a bream shoal moves in and end up with 2 fish on at once.
On rivers one, because on river I like to be on the move a lot more.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I sometimes fish the "Sleeper rod" - if carp are my 2nd rod target I'll put a sleeper rod out and then fish for silvers - this has bagged a carp whilst I catch silver - I'm not a person who can sit all day waiting for one bite

B

binka

Skip's initial post summed it up for me too.

I much prefer to fish one rod but I can see where two would be an advantage, I always fish two when pike or zander fishing or if I want to test something out otherwise I don't feel like I'm giving my main method my full attention.

I also like my fishing to be relaxing and sometimes two rods is just too much to faff around with.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
I've proven to myself over and over again that one rod fished with full attention beats multiple rods.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Not wishing to cause an argument but just how have you proven this? Its perfectly possible to give 2 rods full attention on a river.

I guess it depends on the type of fishing you do. I mainly fish from a drifting boat. In order to fish effectively, I need to be holding the rod. Also, multiple lines out can be a nightmare in terms of tangles.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree....or when you have enough room to ensure the rods are not "competing" as it were. I'm happy to fish two rods in such circumstances though, as I said before, its a right PITA when a fish kites into the other line.

I do like the flexibility two rods offer....especially as Mr Z can be extraordinarily fussy about what he has for his tea. I always fish different baits until a clear preference emerges....which it often does.

I use captive backleads to stop the worry of tangled lines if using more than one rod. I'm not sure if that would hinder your zander fishing in any way but for other species it works ok.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
If you walk around any big pit in the country you will find multiple rods are the majority.

With Sea fishing from the shore it could be 50/50 as there's just as many plugging for bass with one rod as there are multiple set ups on the beach.

Stroll down the canals and whilst it may take a while to see any anglers the majority will be fishing one rod/pole without doubt.

Same goes for rivers i would say that 90% of the anglers i've seen this year have been one rod.

As for commercials I wouldn't know as don't go near them but on the whole One rod is not or ever will be a thing of the past, it would be crazy to think otherwise.

Chefster

Reaction score
Can only use one rod in a match,but set up as many as you want or think you,ll need,but even pleasure fishing i,d never use 2 rods at once -ever,recipe for disaster..Gazza

barbelboi

Reaction score
I prefer - 'When fish are feeding one rod is enough and when they are not one rod is too many'.....................