Freedom of Info request shows water companies failing to cooperate over sewage outfalls

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
It was Anglian Water that wiped out the fish population of the lower River Crouch at Battlesbridge in Essex a few years ago - what irony....if you can't trust the water companies, who can you trust?

thecrow

Reaction score
It was Anglian Water that wiped out the fish population of the lower River Crouch at Battlesbridge in Essex a few years ago - what irony....if you can't trust the water companies, who can you trust?

Not anyone that's in business to make profits for their shareholders who couldn't give a stuff about pollution, the EA well words fail me.

Yes I know :D

rubio

Reaction score
The EA is simply not up to the job. It is impossible for them to be. Their funding stream, grants essentially, precludes the opportunity to borrow capital to invest. Their duties are too broad and quite possibly at odds with each other.
I think Angling Trust should take over licensing and relevant duties and responsibilities. £25 quid a year for a license and membership would probably cover it. Maybe with the bonus of 3 rod licences thrown in. Compensation for pollution offences could be claimed to boost the pot. Everyone buying a licence is then a member of a very large interest group, and many anglers would likely contribute more by way of bailiffing and work parties to support their work.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Angling Trust should take over licensing and relevant duties and responsibilities

That idea was raised and quashed a few years ago and nothing whatsoever has changed to make a new approach even worth contemplating.

If any interest group is worth its salt, and thereby its membership, then it should earn its members by right of action . . . . . . the idea of the levy was also raised and quashed about the same time.

Given the recent "contract award" by the EA to the Angling Trust then they have more than enough funding to now prove to the general angling public that they are worth following and paying a subscription fee to.

thecrow

Reaction score
I think Angling Trust should take over licensing and relevant duties and responsibilities.

Although Fish Legal have taken action against polluters the Angling Trust have shown in the past that they are all to willing to be associated with polluters just so long as it suits their purpose.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
The EA suffers from a poverty of ambition and a poverty of resources. Any policies which might have a detrimental effect upon landowner or business interests are watered down or avoided at all cost - irrespective of the potential benefits to society at large or river catchments in particular. These aspects come from the top down - the board members and senior executives who have flipped around in the world of politics and business and whose real ambitions are rarely environmental.