Not hungry? NOT HUNGRY??

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Not hungry? NOT HUNGRY??

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/18207-not-hungry-not-hungry.html

thumbnail.php

greenie62

Reaction score
I can imagine Salmon being annoyed by Sweetcorn - it annoys the hell out of me when I find it in my Salmon / Tuna mayo butties! :eek:

thecrow

Reaction score
Maybe its just the Salmon in the Severn that are easily upset, the one I had on a lump of luncheon meat at Atcham looked proper p****d off :D

Keith M

Reaction score
I enjoyed that :)

I've yet to catch a Salmon; although the wife threw one at me once when I had the gall to criticise her cooking; and I didn't catch that one either; well not with my hands anyway LOL.

I've always thought that they didn't eat when in fresh water, just shows how misleading this theory is. Great article.

Keith

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I was given to understand their stomachs atrophy in freshwater so they're unable to feed? Is that not right?

Isn't there a theory it's all about instinct / moving debris away from nesting sites?

Funny you should mention Atcham, I saw two guys hook a salmon there, one stood on the bridge and watched a salmon very gently take a worm whilst the other chap obviously struck and played it.

Same day I hooked a picnic basket. Strange days, indeed. :)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well it shows that Salmon do eat when in fresh water. I am sure there are plenty of others who have had Salmon take a bait also.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Not sure that they actually "eat" the items mentioned. It is well known that they will take items in their mouths for investigation, after all their mouths are akin to our hands. There is also the theory that they take certain items out of aggression. I know that they have been caught on dry flies, this may be due to an inbuilt instinct from their days as salmon parr. It is also well known that fresh run salmon are generally eager to catch than those that have been in the rivers for some time. This ties in with the theory of the stomach atrophying. I am of the opinion that they don't actually "eat" in freshwater for nutritional value but for take/place things in their mouths for the reasons mentioned.

Last edited:
B

binka

Sounds like a great reason to crack open a tin of bacon grilse...

Sorry... :eek:mg:

john step

Reaction score
When I was into feather chucking a few years ago some put and take trout fisheries stocked with salmon. They must have fed otherwise they would have died. They were certainly caught on flies.

soft plastic

Reaction score
When I was into feather chucking a few years ago some put and take trout fisheries stocked with salmon. They must have fed otherwise they would have died. They were certainly caught on flies.
Totally different to wild fish that start their life in freshwater, migrate to sea to feed and return to spawn.

greenie62

Reaction score
... some put and take trout fisheries stocked with salmon. They must have fed otherwise they would have died. They were certainly caught on flies.

Where are they now? - oops - they died!:eek:mg:
The ones that were caught - more than once - usually fell victim to 'streamer-type' flies = sand-eel imitations! - wonder what they were fed on in the fish farms?
Is anywhere still stocking these fisheries with these salmon?

Last edited:

soft plastic

Reaction score
Fed on pellets, like reared rainbows. Palm Springs, near Rutland, is open for this type of fishing....if you want to.

Last edited:

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I had a 3lb sea trout from the Great Ouse Relief Channel on a half-herring. The following weekend, in the same spot, a guy strolled-up and told me he'd once caught a sea trout here on a half mackeral. Naturally, I told him about my previous weekend's capture - but I wish I hadn't: he obviously thought me a shameless liar and moved-on soon after!

laguna

Reaction score
This little fella was caught by Will Bernard using what's in my avatar!

No they're NOT boilies... :D

laguna-albums-aqua-spawn-picture3269-will-barnard-salmon-aqua-spawn-2011.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:00 ---------- Previous post was at 00:46 ----------

laguna-albums-aqua-spawn-picture4214-dscf0476.jpg