Question regarding shropshireanglersfederation fishing the River Severn (Shrewsbury)

anglingnoob

Reaction score
I'm new to fishing and based in Shrewsbury i was planning to fish in the River Severn. It states that you must release the fish back alive no matter what you catch. I thought it was possible to keep certain kinds of fish that catch under a certain amount is this not true regarding the River severn? Also just a side question is it safe to eat fish that you catch from a river? Cheers guys:beer:

thecrow

Reaction score
There are size limits for fish that can be taken that have been set by the EA but if a club that controls where you are fishing has a rule that no fish are to be removed that is the rule you should follow.

The bad one

Reaction score
If this is the way you open your account on here, can't see you being here very long :rolleyes:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You should put all fish back, regardless of the rules, thats my take on it.

We have enough fish shortish in our rivers as it is, without people taking more.

Why do you want to take the fish anyway ??

anglingnoob

Reaction score
It's just the whole catch and release thing to me seems kind of silly, fishing for me is another form of hunting so i would be doing it to feed me and my family. The only kind of fishing i have done is Mackerel in Cornwall and that was great fun tasted great too! But of course i will be obeying my local rules i was just unsure of certain things thats all. Thanks for the replies guys :thumbs:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
It's just the whole catch and release thing to me seems kind of silly, fishing for me is another form of hunting so i would be doing it to feed me and my family. The only kind of fishing i have done is Mackerel in Cornwall and that was great fun tasted great too! But of course i will be obeying my local rules i was just unsure of certain things thats all. Thanks for the replies guys :thumbs:

Seems like you just want to catch to feed yourself, nothing more.

You want fish, go to a shop and buy it.

Windy

Reaction score
He casts a damn good fly for a noob.....

Usenet* rule number one, don't feed the trolls.

* for those of us old enough to have been there...

snooozer

Reaction score
I think some very sad people post questions like this on a Forum knowing the replies they will get cause you just can't be that stupid :eek:hno:

---------- Post added at 07:08 ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 ----------

He casts a damn good fly for a noob.....

Usenet* rule number one, don't feed the trolls.

* for those of us old enough to have been there...

Glad you mentioned Trolls lol i just happened to have one lying around :wh

wanderer

Reaction score
If they have, feel free to come around here, we will teach you baseball whilst your cooking.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Now, has anyone got a good recipe for Barbel ?

Not exactly for Barbel, but this is a good one for . . . . Carp, but you can substitute Barbel if you prefer . . . . .

With each recurring day it appears more than ever that we are deliberately throwing away a valuable food product when we discard the large, oily, fat carp that infest the bay and the lake. The whole trouble lies in the fact that not one person in a hundred knows how to properly cook a carp.

People have gone at the culinary feat in a haphazard way, hence ‘tis little wonder that the fish has lost caste among epicures.
We are too prone to pass judgment hastily on manners and methods that fail to suit our individual ideas, notions and tastes, and ‘tis evident that the much abused carp has not had a fair chance.

A new method of cooking and serving carp has been tried with signal success and it is believe that the plan is a feature of the domestic science course at the university, but this, however, can not at present be substantiated.

Briefly, the method is this: Select a moderate-sized carp, dress carefully although this is not as important as some might think, although it is best that it be fairly well done.

Remove the head,open the fish and spread it out on a thin flat board a trifle wider than the carp is when he is expanded, the flesh-side of the fish to be next to the board.

With a few small nails fasten the fish to the board, give it a dash of salt and pepper and slip it into a hot oven. Baste it occasionally while it is baking, which will require about two hours, after which the fish may be removed from the oven and prepared for the table. The rest is easy. Pull out the nails, throw away the carp and eat the board.

Haper det smaker godt

;)

B

binka

Now, has anyone got a good recipe for Barbel ?

What a truly awful suggestion Windy, I'm surprised at you even contemplating eating a barbel...

Considering how good a livebait they make :wh

:D

steve2

Reaction score
Carp were in Tesco at £10 a kilo at Christmas. At this price it's no wonder they prefer to catch their own. Wonder if there is a market for catch and take carp fisheries like trout fisheries.
I have eaten carp, pike and perch in the past and would eat them again if I needed to. Can't see any difference than eating the trout and grayling I have caught.

dann

Reaction score
Carp were in Tesco at £10 a kilo at Christmas.

I am not surprised, have you seen how expensive a good bivvy, bedchair, sleeping bag, set of rods, rod pods, bite alarms, ipad, digital radio, van, head torch, outdoor kitchen and 7 different types of boilies cost these days :wh

snooozer

Reaction score
Carp were in Tesco at £10 a kilo at Christmas. At this price it's no wonder they prefer to catch their own. Wonder if there is a market for catch and take carp fisheries like trout fisheries.
I have eaten carp, pike and perch in the past and would eat them again if I needed to. Can't see any difference than eating the trout and grayling I have caught.

Oh dear :eek:mg: