Simon Crow - Gaining an Edge with Bait

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
The only thing missing from this article is..

Where to buy the bait.

How much it costs

And anything of interest..

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Is it me, or is this "article" more about discussing (read as advertising) a bait rather than discussing how to "Gain an Edge" with your bait :confused:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
For a good boilie ?

What ingredients does it use ?

Are they exclusive to the maker ?

Will the ingredients still be there in 3 years time ?

Cost of the ingredients ?

There have been a number of great boilies, but one or more of the ingredients becomes unavailable.

Or the cost of the ingredients prevents the boilie being a commercial success, it happens.

Like most things in life, a boilie is a compromise, so enjoy a good one until they blow.

Bob

laguna

Reaction score
Ha! the secretive business end!

A bait, any bait, without saying or explaining why it works, its advantages, its uniqueness, its capability/limitations (including what's in it), is simply another bait.

It becomes trendy and fashionable in the eyes of anglers if enough people use it on enough venues for enough time and word gets banded around. Inevitably some will catch big fish - and the undisclosed number of smaller fish too.

The quick route to market is to throw some money at it, offer some free to anglers, sponsor a few of the better ones and put a fancy label on it. What is truly fascinating to me (and I suspect many anglers) is the clever use of ingredients within a bait that can be proven to work without the need for clever marketing.
Above all else, the willingness to discuss and disclose what those ingredients are with customers.

The industry is far too secretive for my liking and I make no bones about it.

Respect to those who keep it real, open and honest.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't personally mind articles like this, they are there for those that want to read them but I thought the opening paragraph was misleading:-

"Unfortunately only experience on the bank helps when it comes to these topics which is why you rarely see anything in print about watercraft. Anglers instead look for short cuts in other departments which will hopefully give them an edge, such as rigs and bait."

I was expecting an article on water craft which would have been more interesting as the author acknowledges, not short cuts with baits !! So I was a bit disappointed.

Maybe I am being a bit nit picky but I suspect the author would have
a good article in him on water craft which is what he hinted at in the first paragraph. He could have added a couple of subtle hints to promote his bait.

tdrozdow

Reaction score
Whilst the article may not interest everyone, I think that Simon was trying to relate this baits calibre to those greats of the past and he was careful to be even handed over those quoting the greats from a number of manufacturers. He may have an interest in pushing this bait but I do not and I can tell you from experience that whilst I do not particularly like the smell of it and its a bit soft (although you can get hardened hook baits), it is quite amazing and not just for carp. Try it for Barbel and see...

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I had a mate who used to do bait testing for a large trader. I used to get some boillies off him now and then.

He got a new flavour, which was very good. Sadly when they went into the shops, they were nowhere near the boillie that we had been using. The pictures of fish caught using the test boillie had been in the press, telling anglers of this great new bait.

Don't get me wrong, the bait was good, but nowhere near that of the test boillie. I am sure test bait has all the best in it, of what ever it takes to make them, but its for testing only. What goes into the shops IMO isn't the same as the test bait.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Whilst the article may not interest everyone

That's not the point, the article[?] title is a complete misnomer, the article[?] contents are directed squarely towards a particular bait - no comparison, no testing, no circumstances given - just: I use this bait cos I think it's great and you should too.

I've no problem with someone waxing lyrically with substantiated claims for a bait or method, so long as they say that is what it is.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I wonder who here has recommended Nash gear on FM before?

Answers on a postcard......

tdrozdow

Reaction score
To iannates point - fair point - I guess to some degree its a form of advertising but then if things are not advertised then people are not aware of them. He chose this particular bait though as opposed to other Nash baits to draw comparisons with the greats of yesteryear. I added a point because I have seen how effective this bait can be. Take it or leave it I guess...
To Grahams point, I once recommended some Nash hooks (Uni's I think) when there was a thread about barbel hooks so I guess that is twice and by coincidence it is Nash stuff again. I only add to things that I genuinely believe in. Could have been Drennan stuff (eg their 1.75lb Series 7 rods which I love to death) if there was a thread on that running or anyone elses stuff if I think its that good! Wouldn't dare raise my head above the parapet otherwise!