Snow Carp

wanderer

Reaction score
Well its an appropriate title as Northamptonshire turns white, but it seems that fewer fish are caught through the winter months, but bigger ones appear regularly. The record appears to have gone last week, and some of these giants in immaculate condition only appear at this time of the year, why. Is it the possibility that they gorge on naturals for the rest of the seasons or bankside activity that prevents there capture, i have puzzled hard what makes a carp angler suffer these conditions, maybe i am wrong but snow carp means no carp to me, what do you think.

flightliner

Reaction score
Theres a chapter in one of Tim paisleys books on a winter marathon session he did on a big name water (wraysbury ?)that I always read back in the days when I had my carp head on just before my winter campaign was about to start.
It sort of put me in the picture of all the blanks/cold nights/etx etx that I was about to endure without any certainty of success (I did ok) .
Maybe it was just how pertinant it was to me at the time that still has me thinking it's one of the best bits of writing on winter fishing for carp that anyone contemplating it can read.
Can't quite remember the title tho --- maybe The carp strikes back?.

wanderer

Reaction score
Strange that memories of Wraysbury, run back to Phil Gooriah, and a record Tench in a different season, i take my hat off to the winter carp boys, but i am puzzled as to why these big specimens appear least when expected.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Less angling pressure?

More efficient to feed on a bed of feed that scrat around the lake for morsels (hmm now there's a thought against feeding minimal amounts of feed in winter?)

You've put your rods away so they're more inclined to come out and play :D

wanderer

Reaction score
Big beds is just the opposite of what you are supposed to do in Winter, with the fish bunching, who knows, people say that the fish dont eat so much during the cold months, there weight and condition may suggest otherwise, as for my tackle, its staying put till spring, good luck to the Arctic brigade, see you soon.

laguna

Reaction score
Weight is maintained due to lower metabolism, less energy spent.
Although fish bunch up and keep their heads down in winter and don't eat much, the bigger ones have a definite requirement to feed and eat little and more often than little fish.

Less angling pressure perhaps has some part to play too.

Small beds not big beds. Single hook baits with no feed whatsoever is probably the best way... throw in some gravel for the plop.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Small beds not big beds. Single hook baits with no feed whatsoever is probably the best way... throw in some gravel for the plop.

I've always thought the above, but, it's one of those where you'll find someone who puts in a bed of bait and catches, it's having the guts to risk it I suppose; you don't hear so often about people who pile in the bait and blank though.

Would you expect a fish that comes across a bed of bait to have a nibble and go off happy or do you think it would put them off or just simply reduce the chance of them taking your hook bait?

wanderer

Reaction score
They always say that the last one eaten is the hookbait, thats why i have never understood boilie anglers piling in particle, i agree big beds during summer but winter, jury is out.

robtherake

Reaction score
Strange that memories of Wraysbury, run back to Phil Gooriah, and a record Tench in a different season, i take my hat off to the winter carp boys, but i am puzzled as to why these big specimens appear least when expected.

Wasn't that tench (about 14lb?) a spawn-laden football? I remember seeing pictures in the angling press and wondering whether I'd have claimed it, given the condition. No disrespect meant to the captor, BTW.

Philip

Reaction score
Maybe as the bigger fish need to eat more and there is less bait going in during the winter they tend to be the ones that slip up.

laguna

Reaction score
I've always thought the above, but, it's one of those where you'll find someone who puts in a bed of bait and catches, it's having the guts to risk it I suppose; you don't hear so often about people who pile in the bait and blank though.

Would you expect a fish that comes across a bed of bait to have a nibble and go off happy or do you think it would put them off or just simply reduce the chance of them taking your hook bait?

This milder weather shows a lot of fish are still active to a large degree, its been above 4 degrees for weeks prior to this snowfall. Would/could they eat 5% of what they normally do pre winter? maybe as much as 10% in some parts of the Country?

Obviously its a question of balance and knowing what's the sustainable amount and each venue will be different.
Stocking levels, how much is too much, how many anglers are fishing putting in bait daily, weekly? A popular venue will see more going in, a big exclusive estate lake will likely see less so you could afford to put in more.

Did the Parrot get the record?

wanderer

Reaction score
Unofficial Chris, the estate lake i fish and Ian has fished, does respond to mass baiting during the warmer months, but winter it produces little, the snags in warmer winter days, nobody does zygs, personally i have no idea what the effect of mass baiting would do, pure guesswork, i wouldnt do it.

laguna

Reaction score
Me neither. You cant take out whats put in can you. If they're hungry they'll venture out and take a single hook bait, too much and you fill em up very quickly. Also mild weather means they not all on the bottom so a zig is the way. Putting in feed also means your forcing them onto the bottom... possibly exactly where they dont want to be!

wanderer

Reaction score
Okay, i have just posed this question to others on another website, you guys are more to my liking , so hear goes. If we get as close as possible to the naturals, i will follow Lagunas advice on one rod all season, do we stand a chance of putting the fish that only appear in winter on the bank in summer.