Choosing a trolley

tom_moran

Reaction score
I'm after a trolley(not a barrow) for general coarse fishing. Looking around there are loads of random ones on the likes of Amazon eBay etc but I was hoping some of you had real world experience of them. I like the look of the Shakespeare one but there are some that are upto half the price. Criteria is basically must fold flat and fit in the boot of my hatchback astra and must hold two of these NGT Direct Home) a seat and net head and be well made. Bonus if it's fits a big 3 rod holdall aswell but I highly doubt it will. Thanks in advance

robtherake

Reaction score
Korum do a natty-looking wheelbarrow-style trolley with fitted barrow bag that they - rather unimaginatively - call a Compact Barrow. I've actually been thinking of getting one myself, or something like it. They also have a more traditional match-style pull-along trolley.

I have a trolley kit that goes with my old Korum chair - not sure if they're still available but there's always second-hand. It's great as long as the ground's fairly even and it only takes a couple of minutes to set up, though I wouldn't recommend it for long walks.

Link to current range: Compact Barrow - Korum, Fishing Made Easy

tom_moran

Reaction score
Thanks will look at the prices and measurements of those, they look nice

john step

Reaction score
Tom, I know you emphasised it must be a trolley not a barrow.....Could you elaborate why please?

I had a quite substantial trolley for years and have recently got a barrow.
I found pulling the trolley over anything but short grass on an even ground would tip it over sideways. Sometimes quite a strain on the ONE arm required to pull it. Also it didn't take the rod holdall which seems to be getting heavier and more awkward getting caught up with the trolley when slung over the free shoulder.

I had advice from others here on FM.

I had a barrow bought as a gift and not looked back.
At first glance it is heavier than the trolley until loaded with everything including the rod holdall. When the arms are raised it feels lightness itself.
I can push it for greater distances with less fatigue.

It is a "carp porter" and made in UK and is well made with parts readily available. Everything dismantles in 2 minutes flat and fits easily into my small Skoda hatchback.

Again I appreciate you specified a trolley but this may be of interest to others on FM if not to you.

B

binka

I have a chair with a wheel kit that fits on and I really like it (Nash Peg One but they are no longer available unless you can pick up a second hand one), it does the job over rough ground too due to the substantial pneumatic tyres.

Having said that I would also opt for a barrow next time around as I find that pulling a trolley which is behind me is never really comfortable on the arm and I currently end up changing over arms during long walks, it's never happened but I also like the idea of being able to see my gear in front of me and not run the risk of something bouncing off and being left somewhere along the bankside, especially in the dark.

I definitely think that the barrow offers a more natural walking posture and gives you a better option for slinging the rod holdall on there too.

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

Blimey Rob... That looks like Nurse Ratchet's treatment table :eek: :D

tom_moran

Reaction score
The reason I want a trolley is because I don't carry much stuff and I've only got about £50 to spend. Also I want it to take as little space up as possible so it can stay in the car permanently.

john step

Reaction score
The reason I want a trolley is because I don't carry much stuff and I've only got about £50 to spend. Also I want it to take as little space up as possible so it can stay in the car permanently.

Yup, I realise you specified a trolley for a reason. The barrow was about £90 so too much. I just thought that if you need a trolley you are carrying enough weight to justify it and as a couple of us have tactfully pointed out a barrow is easier.
Good luck whatever you choose.
Let us know how you get on.

tom_moran

Reaction score
I have used a barrow and you are right they are easier but as I only want to carry two medium holdalls and a chair a barrow is a bit over kill. It's primarily going to be used on canals, at the lakes I fish I usually don't have to carry stuff far but the canals can be a mile or so to get to the best fishing spots. Thanks for the replies chaps

terry m

Reaction score
If you intend to use across rough terrain, then I would strongly advise you to think carefully.

Two wheeled traditional styled trollies do not like really bumpy ground.

I bought on years ago, used it once and it has hung in the garage ever since.

Carp barrows with a fat front wheel are far better IMO.

tom_moran

Reaction score
Ok, the tow paths around here are pretty good, I'll have a scout around before I buy one though

Red Army

Reaction score
I've got one of these: Grandeslam Cruiser Trolley in Luggage & Bags | Fishtec

Slightly more than your £50 but does the job ok if you don't have to much stuff to carry. It folds flat, don't know if he would fit an Astra boot though. The only drawback really...I don't know what they use to make the wheels but they stink some very strong chemical stuff when new. It disappears after some trips on muddy paths though.

tom_moran

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't do much fishing over rough ground around here. If i do I usually travel lighter with a single bag and rod

Ronnie

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a Shakespeare Trolley from my local Tackle Shop, Poigndestres of Southampton last year for £25.00, great piece of Kit, large wheels with wide wheel base, as long as you don't go over any ploughed fields it is fine for Chair, Tackle Box etc. They do Mail Order as well.
R