Couriers for two peice 12ft rods....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this question so posted it on here as it may be spotted by more memebrs.
I'm looking for a courier who'll deliver 12ft two peice rods but that will also insure them as the couriers i've seen won't insure fishing tackle!
I'd be gratefull for reccomendations :).

john10

Reaction score
You can post 12' rods (2 - 6' sections) with Parcel Force. I used them some months ago and it cost around £12 a rod. They were insured too.
Hope this is of some help.

dann

Reaction score
You could try collect plus, they ship forks and other large cycle parts so I don't see why they wouldn't do a rod.

sagalout

Reaction score
I also use parcel force for rods, i couldn't find a cheaper insured option.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I also use parcel force for rods, i couldn't find a cheaper insured option.

I've checked them out and it's £35 ! It's a little off putting for a buyer, there's gott'a be better alternatives. I'm sure the shops who are selling don't pay those kinds of prices, they certainly don't charge them, usually about £8 if you look on ebay.

sagalout

Reaction score
I certainly didn't pay that, £12'ish.

I went into the local PO and handed it in over the counter.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I was in my local Angling shop a few days ago .

One of the staff came back from the local post office with a tube containing rods 2 2piece 12 footers trying to send them told too big for post now , seems there may have been a recent change in the rules on sizes they normally send them via the PO seems no longer is that the case .

PG ...

steve2

Reaction score
I have also tried find a courier for rods, now only sell if the buyer collects, In most cases it works out cheaper for them. I recently received a rod by Royal Mail when I went to return it they said that it was too long for them to handle.
I assume the shop as a business deal with Royal Mail.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Have you tried Interparcel? There's gernerally several options there with enhanced insurance at a cost.

robtherake

Reaction score
I've used a few different ones without any getting lost or damaged (always send them in a tube and insist on a signature.) Parcel Monkey have been as good as any other service, plus they're cheap. I've also used Yodel and DHL without any problems and they collect on time, too. They email a label out to you; just print it out and stick it on, job done. :)

pratty117

Reaction score
Couriers can be a bit of a nightmare! Some class anything over 1 metre long as freight and sting you £35, even if the item weighs under 1kg, yet a 15kg parcel under 1 metre can be as little as £6.50!! I think some operate on how much room is taken up in the van by long parcels. Parcel force would be my choice.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Couriers can be a bit of a nightmare! Some class anything over 1 metre long as freight and sting you £35, even if the item weighs under 1kg, yet a 15kg parcel under 1 metre can be as little as £6.50!! I think some operate on how much room is taken up in the van by long parcels. Parcel force would be my choice.

I've just had parcelforce pick up the rods I was selling, finnished up costing me £38 including vat and insured up to 250 notes (cost an extra fiver to knock the insurance up from 100 to 250)...I reckon that's expensive but I couldn't find another courier in time to do it. There's gott'a be some better ones to use!

steve2

Reaction score
A quick check on parcel force, anything over 1.5 metres is class as a large parcel, price starts at around £25.

---------- Post added at 06:59 ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 ----------

A quick check on parcel force, anything over 1.5 metres is class as a large parcel, price starts at around £25. How do you measure a tube for posting they want to know length, width and height. What is the height of a tube?

pratty117

Reaction score
I've just had parcelforce pick up the rods I was selling, finnished up costing me £38 including vat and insured up to 250 notes (cost an extra fiver to knock the insurance up from 100 to 250)...I reckon that's expensive but I couldn't find another courier in time to do it. There's gott'a be some better ones to use!

Maybe not as cheap as I first thought then!! Like you said there must be cheaper couriers out there! Its crazy because in some instances it would cost less in fuel to deliver the item yourself!!. I think in a nutshell companies sending such items on a regular basis must send such a high volume that they have a vastly reduced rate!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Fed Ex.

The main problem is making sure the Parcel goes to the right address, and is signed for by the person it is meant for. Most will just drop it off with whoever than can get to sign for it.

laguna

Reaction score
How do you measure a tube for posting they want to know length, width and height. What is the height of a tube?
Simply lay it down on the floor and measure its packaged height. L. X H. X W.
I use a local independent courier for sending parcels overnight £6-£10.50 depending on weight (max 15Kg) incl. sig and insurance. They dont have restrictions on length so long as it fits in a sprinter van (4M). Another cheap option is myhermes up to 15Kg but delivery times vary (2-5 days) and restriction up to 120cm in length.