''A whimper or a bang''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
This refers to how do you think the season will close.

Given the state of the rivers over the last half of the season, can we hope for some ''stability''. If so maybe some of us could be in for a shock, let's hope so.

But what do you think?

terry m

Reaction score
Heart says a bang, my head says a whimper is very possible.

The rivers in my part of the world are looking good.

Ever the optimist, I will keep plugging way, you've gotta be in it to win it!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
This refers to how do you think the season will close.

. . ah, shades of T.S. Eliot then, The Hollow Men

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Looking at my local streams and rivers then I think . . . . . a Whimper

Sadly the chain of 'burger restaurants is now long gone, otherwise it could have been paraphrased as: . . .

This is how the world ends,
Not with a bang but a Wimpy

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've yet to get on a river in 2016 as I don't relish freezing cold or floods but given reasonable conditions it would be good to get on the rivers again soon.

seth49

Reaction score
Going to have a walk on the ribble tomorrow, had a look local yesterday and it wasn't good.
There has been a lot of gravel movement after the two big floods. One pool has nearly been filled in.
And a lot of the rest looks to be shallower.
It certainly looked a lot different.needs to be clear and at summer level, to tell properly though.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a BANG. :D
Was out yesterday on a small river, plenty of gravel/river bed movement, trees down or branches trailing in the water. Pools filling in and others bigger. One part, 4 paving slabs have appears. Also plenty of bricks make up some of the river bed, these are now clearly visible as silt been washed away. So far the fishing has been no different, just some places no longer hold fish but other places may do. That's the thing about rivers, always changing.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Keeping an eye on the levels of local rivers and if it would just stay dry for a week or two we could have so-called ideal conditions for the last few weeks of the season, but I'm not holding my breathe !
I like to think the fish will be ready to feed in ernest once the colour and speed has normalised and if the temps stay up it could be big bag day, or even big fish day...

However.............

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
. . ah, shades of T.S. Eliot then, The Hollow Men

Not with a bang but a whimper.

Looking at my local streams and rivers then I think . . . . . a Whimper

Sadly the chain of 'burger restaurants is now long gone, otherwise it could have been paraphrased as: . . .

This is how the world ends,
Not with a bang but a Wimpy
Spotted a Wimpy Bar on a high street only this week. First for many years, and open with customers. Tho lord knows why!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Finish with a bang. With any luck the Old out of date close season will go soon, and the bang can go on a little longer.

tonybull

Reaction score
Finish with a bang. With any luck the Old out of date close season will go soon, and the bang can go on a little longer.

Most species can be caught in both rivers and lakes so get rid of the silly old rule and move with the times.

B

binka

Too far off to guess what's gonna happen with the weather really but I reckon this weekend could really go with a bang with the river approaching a foot off of normal level and a sharp increase in temperatures.

Sunday is looking particularly good but I don't want to take any chances so I've booked for Saturday too :)