Centrepin reel

swizzle

Reaction score
Would anyone be able to recommend a reasonably priced pin for a complete novice? I am eager to get one as I really want to learn how to trot rivers, not only that but whilst I'm not bored with using a fixed spool reel on stillwater the pin would be something different and a new experience.

Thanks

steve2

Reaction score
There are now many cheap(under£50) centre pins on the market. These all seem to have good reviews. I use Trudex,Rapidex and Youngs Purist reels.
Trudex and Rapidex can be found on Ebay and are not that expensive.
The last Trudex I bought cost £40.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Agree completely. I saw a chap trotting straight off the reel last week, "Nice reel," I said; it was a Theseus Elegance, almost a Marco Cortesi clone, asking price about £30.
I once called the Trudex the Telecaster of centre-pins; nobody took me to task.

There's never been a better time to get the 'pin habit. Just keep a vice-like grip on your wallet and don't fall for all the pretty "spokes-and-pillars" jobs too early in the game.

robtherake

Reaction score
Most of the fellas on here know I'm sold on the TFG Classic 'pin, which is a step above the cheapies both in build quality and fishability (it's streets ahead of my Marco Cortesi, which looks and feels cheap and nasty by comparison.) It trots beautifully and, filled with 15lb line, is plenty strong enough for kerb-crawling bait hoovers. First, a couple of clicks, then a huge sploosh and a swirl like God's toilet flushing when the fish realises it's slipped-up, followed by the reel's manic screech when it takes off like a scalded cat - ye canna beat it! Frightens the **** out of me - in a good way - every time. :D
Not that the Cortesi's a bad reel, just that the TFG 'pin is much more refined and is just £50. At the price, it's almost worth buying a second one just for the spare spool.

Edit - And who decided c r a p was a dirty word? Surely it ain't that offensive, or am I missing something?

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Another vote for the trudex, rapidex later you could try a match aerial.
keep tight hold of your wallet ;)

seth49

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a trudex, one of these and a youngs aerodex are the two pins I use most.
Hope you enjoy using one, there good fun.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Edit - And who decided c r a p was a dirty word? Surely it ain't that offensive, or am I missing something?

Moderation note:

Here on FM we have an automatic 'bot' that substitutes asterisks for word that are listed as "inappropriate" - it is an off-the-shelf package that we have no editorial rights over, so we use it or nothing.

There is no human (or moderator LOL) intervention whatsoever as it is totally automated.

Members are reminded that we have a wide audience here on FM including many minors, so it is nor really being "PC" just mindful of the younger readers.

Hope this clarifies . . . . . . .

---------- Post added at 08:59 ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 ----------

Back on the topic; a secondhand Rapidex or Trudex is a great reel to begin with and can be picked up for very little outlay on auction sites.

Usually all they need is a good clean and a little (note little) light oil such as sewing machine oil and you have a very usable 'pin to learn on.

So, there is no need to spend a couple of hundred, or more of a Young's Purist or Hardy first time around . . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the best value reel for build quality, useability and price is the okuma aventa pro.
You can pick them up on ebay in unused or as good as for the same sort of prices as the avantis etc and the okumas are better in every way.

john step

Reaction score
I once called the Trudex the Telecaster of centre-pins; nobody took me to task.

OK Alan, I have been waiting for someone to ask but no one has so I will....
What is a Telecaster.........??

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

You could always revert to Welsh and use cach or the Anglicised version - cack - instead! :D

I believe the phrase cack handed for left handed people refers to the hand that is used to wipe with toilet paper. Anglo Saxon maybe?

barbelboi

Reaction score
OK Alan, I have been waiting for someone to ask but no one has so I will....
What is a Telecaster.........??

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

I believe the phrase cack handed for left handed people refers to the hand that is used to wipe with toilet paper. Anglo Saxon maybe?

A bit like a Stratocaster - only not quite as famous................

bracket

Reaction score
A bit like a Stratocaster - only not quite as famous................

It's an Icon, the same as a centre pin but easily distinguished from a centre pin as it tends to vibrate rather than rotate. Rock On. Pete

silvers

Reaction score
always fancied a Les Paul or SG more myself ..... although I do have a Jap Strat myself. Didn't Billy Gibbon's rotate in one of the 80's videos ..... although I think that was a furry Explorer :). None of those are unsung workhorses though ..... which I suspect is the analogy?

various outlets (eg. Climax) are offering the Okuma Sheffield for £150 if you fancy splashing the cash.

barbelboi

Reaction score
It's an Icon, the same as a centre pin but easily distinguished from a centre pin as it tends to vibrate rather than rotate. Rock On. Pete

Not quite as old as the pin either - I remember going to the 50 years of the 'Strat' concert at Wembley in '04. Can't remember a 50 years of the Pin concert in my lifetime...........;)

daniel121

Reaction score
Hi Swizzle,

I would just like to offer a little bit of alternative advice for you to either take or leave :)

You mentioned 'I am eager to get one as I really want to learn how to trot rivers' contrary to a lot of old timers (like me :D) will tell you about running a stick down on the pin give better presentation in the right hands! It doesn't mate - its a myth!!

The joy a pin give is like no other however if you are trying to learn to trot rivers , you'd find it a lot easier to learn on a fixed spool reel. In fact you can get just the same presentation with a fraction of the skill with a small fixed spool reel.

If you are bored with using a fixed spool reel on stillwate,r the pin certainly be a new exciting experience. There's nothing like catching small carp on a pin, its great fun, and would be far easier for you to 'get used to' your new centerpin.

My advice buy a pin use it on commies and use your fixed spool reel to trot rivers at first anyway :thumbs:

robtherake

Reaction score
:) we used that word a lot when we were kids, Mike, "I'm goin' fer a cack". :)

The French for ordure - merde - makes a half-decent substitute: think Clouseau. :)
The kids in my area always used the word cack within earshot of any grown-ups. I always thought it was north-east slang, but it sounds as if everyone was at it.