Rod licence reform on the cards: Proposals include 3-rod option and free fishing for juniors

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rod licence reform on the cards: Proposals include 3-rod option and free fishing for juniors

This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Rod licence reform on the cards: Proposals include 3-rod option and free fishing for juniors

thumbnail.php

This should please the 3-rod men...(and the women)

B

binka

I welcome the free junior licence but as I see it the Trust have reacted to carp anglers feeling aggrieved at having to pay for four rods worth of licensing to fish three rods and this has just been flipped to non-carp anglers (or non-three rod anglers) now subsidising the former through what will undoubtedly be a disproportionally higher minimum adult license fee.

It would have been so easy to just halve the existing licence fee as a separate add on for each additional rod over the statutory two rod current licence but that won't coin it in now will it?

Sorry to say it but I'm very disappointed, it's just a highly transparent money spinner that will punish just as many, if not more, than the Trust think it will serve imo.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
totally agree that to add the extra rod is good if they don't increase the price much - an extra £1 for the rod licence is ok - but if they put it up by £10 I can see a lot of anglers like myself who most of the time fish 1 rod, 2 rods on occasions and never more than that thinking twice before renewing the licence

martinsalter

Reaction score
Binka. That's exactly what the EA are proposing. A 150% charge for those wishing to use three rods. Job done! :)

flightliner

Reaction score
If its applied with the emphasis being to help "even out" anglers concerns over having to buy two lisences' in order to use three rods then would'nt it be equally right and proper to give the angler who only ever fishes with one rod the same consideration?.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I view the 365 days license as a back door mechanism to bring about the abolition the close season on our rivers and some canals.

You can hear the moaners now, can't you: "I pay for 12 months but am only allowed to fish for 9!"

And all done quietly and out of the angling public gaze . . . . .

rayner

Reaction score
I can see the rod licence fee being increased more than a tenner.
There's sure to be a short fall if the changes go ahead, only a small increase would see the EA having less funds when they need more.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Wouldn't it have been fairer and simpler just to have a set fee for each rod, say £12-£15 per rod.
I like the rolling on 365 day idea. I do not always buy my license on the 31st March. I leave it if I am not fishing until the time I go again. I will get more value.

The bad one

Reaction score
The simple answer to the vexed question I only fish one rod, two rods, etc, is to bring in l, 2, 3 and 4 rod licence. And a fixed penalty fining system if you get caught fishing more rods than your licence states. Such fixed penalty fining system has to be meaningful, so I'd put a figure of a £1000 on it and a criminal conviction on the person's record as it is now.

I'd also make the tariff of people caught fishing without a licence a fixed penalty system, starting with the first offence the same figure a £1000, rising by £500 pounds incrementally per offence after that. Under a FPS all monies raised through it going to the EA fisheries section and not the Chancellor's grubby mitts as it does now when it goes through the courts.

How many spotted this one - “Martin Salter, Campaigns Chief for the Angling Trust, said: "Carp anglers will obviously be pleased but tench and bream anglers like myself, who usually fish large pits with two rods at a time, would sometimes like to use a third rod to switch quickly to a new method or to stalk a fish showing in the margins.”
Doh set the third rod up behind you Martin ready to switch for one of the rods already fishing! And as for wandering off “stalking a fish in the margins” Martin, whilst leaving the other two rods unattended, I think you'll find that's not being in “immediate control of your rods” and a fishing offence under the FWF Act.

What I do know is, if you were caught doing such practices in my club, which is strictly a two rod maximum club, you'd lose your card, right to fish club waters therein, pending a disciplinary hearing and most likely your membership as well thereafter.

martinsalter

Reaction score
Bad One. I never said 'wandering off' - your words not mine - and for the record you won't ever find me fishing with unattended rods. I have, on occasion, wanted to put out a margin rod in the same tench swim on big gravel pits which is why, as a non carper, I would be happy to pay the 50% extra for a three rod licence. Those that want to carry on as now with the standard two rod licence can do so.

flightliner

Reaction score
Fifty quid for a five year lisence to use a shotgun , which includes police home visits and close monitoring (and rightly so )-- very expensive, but eighteen pounds a year for me as a pensioner to use a fishing rod that works out forty pounds more over the same period with seemingly little or no bankside checks is more than a little extortionate.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Its a rip Off for those who only fish one, two, rods, or for those using a pole. Come to think of it, do you need a licence for a pole, being it is called a rod licence, just pulling your leg.

Its so easy to get it right for everyone, but then those that control our licence, don't do easy.

£15 per rod. It would only take a stamp on your licence if you buy it at the post office. If you buy on line, then it is stamped the same before its sent to you. How bloody hard can it be. Half Price for OAP's.

The stamp would say, one rod, two rod, three rod, or four rod.

Free for Juniors is right, as this may bring in more kids to the sport, as there are many i would say don't go fishing due the the parents not earning enough to pay for a licence. It may not be much to some, but to many its to much.

Your licence now runs from 1st April to 31st March, thats 365 days fishing for £45, if using three rods. A ticket to a Prem League game is more than that, unless you watch west ham, they give you £45. ;)

The biggest problem i can see is us anglers, we need to stick together and make sure we get what we want for once. The Angling Trust ARE NOT big enough to give us that, they have a very small number of anglers as members.

I have said many times, if every angler paid an extra £5 per year on the licence, that would go to a governing body that represents ALL Anglers, not minority as the AT is.

We would then have so much more of a say, and far more funding for angling.

Lets not talk about a levy on the licence, your already paying a levy as you have to buy a licence in the first place.

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Just thinking outside the box: suppose the Angling Trust was given a statutory responsibility for angling. It could then pay the govt say £10 million and in return could collect and retain all licence fees, do the enforcement on the banks (as there would be a stronger financial incentive to do so), and could then ensure and fund appropriate fisheries work themselves?

This could mean that angling might get closer to the £30 million a year or thereabouts raised from licences and this money could then actually be spent on fisheries work rather than lost by government (maybe on politician's duck houses?) or within EA where it probably ends up funding damaging flood prevention works or a five yearly rebranding / reorganisation exercise anyway.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I can not see how a 365 day rolling licence will change the OLD OLD out of date close season.

All it will do is confuse some anglers, as they will not check the licence for a renewal date, and end up with a fine.

Don't give the AT a penny IMHO.

The bad one

Reaction score
Bad One. I never said 'wandering off' - your words not mine - and for the record you won't ever find me fishing with unattended rods. I have, on occasion, wanted to put out a margin rod in the same tench swim on big gravel pits which is why, as a non carper, I would be happy to pay the 50% extra for a three rod licence. Those that want to carry on as now with the standard two rod licence can do so.
Yes Martin wandering off are my words, and you know full well that "to stalk a fish" in angling terms is to move away from your peg in pursuit of that fish(s), which would leave the other two unattended and beyond the realm of immediate control of them.
Any right mined angler wanting to stalk a fish they'd seen would reel both rods in take one of the two reeled in rods and pursue the fish with just that rod. So why would you need 3 licenses to do that?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is not clear from the article as to whether or not a single rod license will be available.

Many anglers only fish one rod at a time and I'd be a little miffed if I were to be paying for 3 but only using 1 . . . . .

Also, there was some scuttlebutt earlier about abolishing the day, week or other period licenses . . . . is there any update on this?

Personally I'd rather pay for a short period license for my rather rare multiple rod trips than have to pay for the whole year regardless of usage.

Maybe someone in the Angling Trust can respond?