Attitudes and too quick to judge

theoriginalpikeflyco

Reaction score
This may not be relevant to everyone throughout these isles nor of interest to some. But I was just speaking to 2 relatively new angling pals and it just reminded me of how I met them.

May sound like a negative beginning but ends on a positive note.

Everyone is well aware of the big topic that seemed to take over angling headlines (in Ireland anyway) of the influx (as it was described) of foreign anglers to areas throughout the Uk and Ireland, and the huge controversy surrounding decimated fish stocks, anti social behaviour etc.

Its certainly a subject that took over Ireland and still seems to be hot of the tongue of many fishermen I meet along the way.

Don't get me wrong, it was huge problem North and South. I witnessed the aftermath on many occasions.

Although what I did notice was how it seemed to take the limelight away from the many 'local' anglers who didn't and still don't have any care for the fish they catch nor the environment that surrounds them.

Anyway, back to topic....

Towards the end of autumn I was wandering around some new lakes in a new county, making my plans for where to fish that weekend as we were on a short family break.

I spotted what seemed like a bit of a disturbance. As I got closer it became obvious a few locals were not happy about a pair of Eastern European anglers fishing. Anyway, the usual stuff was being yelled such as fish eating ********* etc.

The local (I say local but turns out they were visiting from the other end of the country!) guys were being a little OTT, lots of chest puffing etc. For a split second I almost steered clear, and if I'm really honest about this, the thought did cross my mind that it was unfortunate this lake was being visited by anglers who may see fit to remove fish. But I noticed the 2 foreign fellas actually looked scared to be blunt. Anyway lets just say I intervened, sensible discussion seemed off the table, tempers almost reached boiling point for a moment, then things calmed and some sense was restored.

With the other anglers away, my attention turned to the 2 'foreign' chaps. I noticed that they actually did have all the essentials and although they were not using fancy gear, everything was set up very well.

Turns out Martin is from Slovakia and Philip is from Poland. They have been pals for 11 years and came to Ireland several years ago. And boy can these fella's fish! Neither have heaps of disposable income so tend to buy used gear and keep tackle simple, but they have incredible watercraft skills and their fish handling will put a lot of people to absolute shame.

They are absolute fanatical coarse anglers and have the utmost respect for their surroundings.

I normally fish alone but have managed a few sessions with them since that day and they have caught massive bags of Bream whilst I watched bobbing out on my float tube. Funnily enough they much prefer the slider float than the feeder!

Anyway I have met what are potentially pals for life. And the fact I am due to travel with them for some Brown Trout fishing in Slovakia whilst staying with their families in April just puts the icing on the cake for me.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this as I think it states the obvious...

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
That is a great story, although the ' names ' of the two from foreign climes leave a little to be desired...Let's face it, ' Martin / Phillip ' not as authentic as ( say ) Willem / Dietrich ......( add a smilie here )

Never good to prejudge as your story shows, and goes some way to restoring ones faith in human nature......

wanderer

Reaction score
I work with lots of these guys, they tend to use Brit names beecause there originals are difficult to pronounce, give the poor African on reception a list of Eastern Europeans names to call to the office on the P.A. and listen to the fun. On the poaching front, they have been demonised by the actions of a sizeable chunk of their countrymen, cant blame guys for protecting there fishing, it will take ages for the stigma to pass, all immigrants should respect our laws, they are guests, not much to ask, but i do feel sorry for the genuine anglers amongst them.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nice post Original, I met one last summer, we both made an effort to communicate ,he showed me some fish on his phone, very nice bloke. I think he was from Romania or somewhere like that His gear left a bit to be desired but he was very happy to be fishing and to have a chat with a native .- I found it refreshing, just one angler talking to another and crossing bridges.
To be honest I did not care about anything else.