UK National Fish Vote

jackperks

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm putting together the first national fish vote to find out what people think should be the UK's national fish. I've done a list with the help of anglers and fishery scientists down to 20 freshwater and 20 sea species. The idea is to hold voting from January 23rd to February 27th and then boil it down to the top 10 species. The second stage will go on until May the exact date TBC.

If you have any blogs or social media pages feel free to share it around as I'm hoping to reach as many people as possible to finally have a National Fish for the United Kingdom.

More info and voting here
UK National Fish Vote

Press Release
Fisheye's View Angling Photography: UK National Fish Vote

Regards
Jack Perks

thecrow

Reaction score
Done that Jack although its only the 22nd, I must say that the picture used to depict a Perch when Perch is clicked on isn't really what I had hoped for, my vote was for the Perch the Bulldog of the fish world.

B

binka

Yep my vote's gone in too.

I know you said the list had already been whittled down but I at least expected to see...

Maybe not eh? :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yep my vote's gone in too.

I know you said the list had already been whittled down but I at least expected to see...
URL=http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/dmfxdaf/media/hybrid_zps37t4a4y7.jpg.html]
hybrid_zps37t4a4y7.jpg
[/URL]

Maybe not eh? :)

I want one ! :D.

terry m

Reaction score
Done that Jack although its only the 22nd, I must say that the picture used to depict a Perch when Perch is clicked on isn't really what I had hoped for, my vote was for the Perch the Bulldog of the fish world.

The perch picture is indeed a joke.

jackperks

Reaction score
What might that be called then ?

A barpercharp ?

I can add barpercharp if people would vote for it ;)

As for the perch pic its ARKives photo not mine and they show all kinds of images including the commercial side and in some parts of the world perch are eaten widely. If you flick through they have 20 other fantastic pictures of perch.

jackperks

Reaction score
Should we vote for our favorite fish we like to fish for or one that we think best represents the British?

its really up to you I suppose which species represents the UK however that could be your favourite fish depending on your view of it.

I did a blog here and mention about things to think about before voting

Fisheye's View Angling Photography: UK National Fish Vote

also before perchgate starts I've changed the photo of the perch to a nice video of them hunting didn't realize that the bucket of perch was the first photo you see and agree not the best thing to see when voting.

dannyboy1

Reaction score
I've voted for the Roach.

Sent from my HP 8 G2 using Tapatalk

jackperks

Reaction score
Update:

The Angling Trust, Environment Agency, Canal & River Trust, Angling Times, Anglers Mail have all shown support as well as less fish orientated groups like the RSPB, Wildlife Trusts and Freshwater Habitats Trust.

Really positive response so far with over 2,000 votes the top ten species will be announced on march 26th and the results have been really interesting so far not what I thought at all!

Angling Times

BBC Wildlife Magazine

Clyde River Foundation

Freshwater Habitats Trust