Another one bites the dust

steve2

Reaction score
Went out to a tackle shop to buy some bits and pieces only to find like many it shut up shop before Christmas. Know of only one local shop that is still open and that relies for most of its custom on carp anglers.
The other shop closed because it could not compete with internet shoppers.
Now do my shopping at Go Outdoors and Decathlon.
I remember when I first started fishing we had 6 tackle shops and pet shops that also stocked tackle within a couple of miles. Looks like the end of the traditional tackle shop is get closer

floatfish

Reaction score
Seems to be a sign of the times in most places. The big warehouses selling places and huge discounts via the on line selling have seen off many a good local angling shop. Lots of knowledge lost in the process to local anglers.

Local to me is one shop left who sells a few bits and animal supplies together with bait. Nearest true fishing shops 8 to 10 mile trip. Other than that buy online, next day or so delivery.!

Keith M

Reaction score
The owners of my local tackle shop said that they have decided to sell up and retire in a couple of years so we might lose our local tackle shop (unless the new buyer is going to keep it as a tackle shop).

There's been 3 other tackleshops in the area that have closed within the last couple of years; it's a sign of the times I suppose.

I think that it is now a great advantage for a shop to also have a web site where you can sell online and advertise any special offers with a map of where you are.

However, Leslie's of Luton and Bennets of Sheffield both had web sites and it didn't save them did it.

Keith

Last edited:

caelan

Reaction score
IF you have a shop near you you have to give it a chance against the big boys/internet I buy local and on the net so I do try and help

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I don't buy on line, to much hassle if you have something wrong with the product. I also like to see and handle what i am buying first.

3 shops near me, two large, one smaller who is now also selling pet food to keep him going.

daniel121

Reaction score
This subject has been covered many times.

Bottom line is use it or don't be surprised if you lose it.

:thumbs::thumbs: correct, I've said it time after time over and over! Support your local tackle shop, short term gain always equals long term loss!!

barbelboi

Reaction score
In contrast, the t/s that I use has just moved from a 900 sq ft premises to a very much larger one...............

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I am guessing they are a decent shop?

Most businesses thrive if they focus on the needs of the customer.

The local shop I use, now has 14, yes 14 full time staff at the shop, and three full time staff at it's other very successful tackle side line.

When they took over the shop 26 years ago, It was very small. It has bought out the two shops next door, and a double extension across the back.

Great service, and the guys know what they are talking about, when many shops staff sadly don't have a clue.