EXTREME Urban Fishing!

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: EXTREME Urban Fishing!
files.php

John Smith LOVES urban angling....read this to understand the appeal.

B

binka

A well penned and enjoyable read... Wes?

I am fascinated with the urban fishing that you describe, my own exploits on a town centre mill dam seem relatively picturesque by comparison but putting myself in some of the locations that you describe is almost like the extra dimension of a secret world where you are free to go about your business in the boldest of fashion whilst remaining undetected by the pavement pounders and everything else that provides the surrounding daily circus.

Thanks for writing it up, very enjoyable :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Articles usually bore me but that was a seriously good one and I enjoyed reading it....a lot!

I'd still prefer to be fishing "out of town" :).

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I enjoyed that. Well written IMO, and not to long.

I don't see myself as an Extreme Urban Angler, but fishing at Richmond Bridge sometimes, may make me an Urban Angler.

flightliner

Reaction score
Nice read, something we should all try once in a while as the rewards can be very satisfying.
I liked how the writer described a good net of feminine hygiene disposables.
It reminded me of the Trent back in the early sixties when condoms could be caught fairly regularly, the best were the ones hooked in the open neck end, good scrappers they were.
Saterdays wasnt to bad but sundays after folk had been on the lash was more productive, we always referred to them as Trent ghosts.:D

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
The tidal Thames crowd called them "Thames Trout", and sought solace in the thought that their use would mean a diminishing number of unwanted boaty-pillocks upstream in the future. Forlorn hope.

slaphead

Reaction score
Excellent article, thanks.

Although, I'm not too sure about trying it in Burnley town centre on match day, especially if they are playing Blackburn. :eek:

daji

Reaction score
Enjoyed reading it. Would have like to have seen pictures of catches included.

theartist

Reaction score
A good read, descriptive and full of character

Thing with urban angling is that it originally isn't the first choice but the only logical choice if you live in 'town' Maybe you have no car at the time so staying within public transport range usually means countryside venues are out of range. Also that the nicer bits can be totally exclusive in many areas means only a fool would neglect what's free on his doorstep.

My fishing upbringing echoes that of the author as I'm sure it does a lot of anglers and even though we all went on to fish other more scenic venues I for one always go 'urban' where now and then despite belonging to a couple of clubs.

There's a lot of hidden gems out there amongst the grime.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A very good little read that, a resourceful angler. I have done similar, looked for hidden gems and come up with a few. Surprising what you can come up with a bit of research and its usually free, a nice bonus. One of my best roach waters is a little stream next to a rubbish tip, apart from a few plastic carrier bags hanging in the trees, its actually very pleasant as long as you don't look up and no one bothers fishing it.
Well done for a good article John..

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
From Flightliner....."...the best were the ones hooked in the open neck end, good scrappers they were"

:):):)

flightliner

Reaction score
The next time I fish the Don in Sheffield I will take a few piks, not of fish but general surroundings-- Some reaches are quite delightful, other bits not so.

wes79

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words folks.
Appreciate it immensely.

kind regards
Wes79 (John)

Last edited: