shrink tubing

Richard Turner 3

Reaction score
hi there the reason you put an angle on the shrink tube is that when a carp sucks up the bait the hook will turn alot more quicker into the carps mouth or so the say lol but beware this will only work on certain rigs

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Ok, thanks Richard.

I am using it on a standard pop-up rig. I've got the hook sitting right behind the pop-up, no hair length, that ok ? I've tied a couple where I've got a pop-up then half a boilie and an3/4 inchlong hair. Should that be ok too ?

I'm having to try different things because I reckon the bigger carp in the lake I fish have seen it all before and can probably spot a standard hair-rigged boilie a mile off /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

all the hook turning stuff only works if the fish backs off or turns away with the bait pulling the hooklength straight. if they are sucking and blowing baits then its purely down to luck as to whether the hook pricks or not, though supple hairs of 1-2 inches and a size 4 hook can help - who uses those though?

how does the carp know the difference between one hair rig and another Jimbo?

R

Roto Fryer

When you need to buy shrink tubing go to an electrical supplies wholesaler

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Who said that ? lol

What it is, is, there are 20lb+ carp in the lake. Been fishing it 2 yrs and regulary catch 9-14lbers. If I use bigger boilies the size of the carp goes down, 5-9lbers ? Inexperienced fish jumpin on an easily visible bait before any other fish even sees it ?

I've been looking at video of carp feeding on baits underwater, these carp (upper twentys and somethirties)seem able to ignore the hooked bait, or if they take the hooked bait are pretty good at blowing em out, if they pick up a bait often enough, eventually i spose it's going to be hooked. A bit like russian roulette.

They were also refusing round boilies and the takes weren't happening until they were chopped into a different shape

Also seen a video of some big carp easily ejecting a bait like they had done it a thousand times before, until a heavier hook was used and then, bang, nearly every time.

Anyway, got me thinking (unusual I know, and it didn't even hurt), Maybe the bigger carp (this is in my lake now)just know to stayaway from round boilies, or they know they are rigged coz they can see it. The bottom ismore leafier now than ever, and maybe my hooklength might as well have a sign on itpointing and saying "This is the onewith the hook - Don't touch".

So what I have decided to do is try pinning the hooklength down with rig putty and use chopped up pop-ups,different shaped boilies,shrink tube and a better hook too. I was looking at different rigs and a lot were using shrink tube but none stated why. I had a hunch it was for better hooking but didn't know.

How's that sound? I've got to try something down there. Might have a better chance of a twenty, or thirty maybe ??? They are in there, It's just catching em. Thats why it's called fishing, not catching, yes ?

Any ideas welcome. I'm still rookie, all you opinions are noted. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Nathan

Reaction score
You'll never know unless you try. Something that works on one water wont necessarily work on all of them. IF your getting takes you're obviously doing something right.

It could be that the bigger carp stay away from the smaller ones or live in a different part of the lake in an attempt to avoid getting drawn into competitive feeding & therefore increasing their chances of being hooked. Or you could just be unlucky.

Keeping trying, you never know what might happen next cast....

catch

Reaction score
why dont you try fishin off the baited spot incase the biggys are hangin back . there is a new boiliie out from ace baits which comes in 32 mm worth a go. just a thought /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

if they can see the hook, they'll see the big lump of plastic attached to it.....

big fish get big by eating more, just need to find out where they are eating confidently. look at the size of a 20+ carps mouth, and decide whether sticking a bit of plastic will make any difference to hooking it - IF they are backing off/turning away then it migh, but sucking and blowing it wont make any difference. the blowback type rigs are dealing with after you've pricked a fish, not to make any difference in terms of hooking.

Richard Turner 3

Reaction score
hi there jimbo just wondering it might be worth trying a couple of different rigs for your pop ups have you tried the withy pool rig or half withy and theres always the 360 rig you can see diagrams of these in the rig section just tie them up and give them a go tight lines bud

NEIL MANSELL

Reaction score
try usin a stiff hk like 20-25 LB korda IQ then bait your area with just boilies. but when you tie the knotless knot cut the "hair" off and use a lighter mono as a hair by tieing it to a hook. also use hooks like the korda choddy or longshank due to the problem that if you tie a wide gap hook on the hook will close in on itself meang it wont be able to hook.

this rig also gives you the possibility of using lighter leads depending on distance because the hooklenght is strait and already "tight" meaning when the fish picks up the bait it only has to stop "sucking" at the bait or move a few mm and it should in theory be hooked. aint to sure bout practice though lol

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Jumpin watching them videos can really get your brain doing over time and to be honest can do your head in while your sat there fishing.Keep it simple would be my advice .In my limited experience of fishing a lake near me with lots of twenties it is remarkable how many have come from the 'same area' of the lake.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Why would a pop up make much difference ? If the carp are used to eating bottom baits why try and fool em with a pop up ? Use the same bait on your hook as the ones your feeding. You could try washed out baits, fooling the carp into thinking the baits have been there a while and are therefore safe to eat or you could try a mixture of different size boilies and flavours all in the same area so that the carp dont get preoccupied with the same shape and size of bait.

Just keep trying different things and have fun.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
hiya trev,

Just using pop-ups at moment coz of amount of leaves on the bottom, or is that not a reason to ? With all that stuff on the bottom would they find the hook bait as easy as any of the freebies if it's not popped up ? Isn't it easy for the hookbait just to get burried or hidden ?

Notputting toomany freebiesin now anyway, its all gone a bit quiet !

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
if the freebies are bottom baits then they too could be buried or hidden by the leaves or silt, using a pop up in this situation would arouse suspicion surely ? If the carp want to sniff out your bait they will find it sure enough.

I used to search for conkers that were on the floor or buried in the leaves cos i knew it was a safe thing to do, so much better than climbing the tree or throwing something up for the pop up conker presented in the tree......

If you want to keep your bait above the leaves or silt then use a snowman rig or even half and half and trim bits until it only just sinks and rests gently on the leaves.

jumpin jimbo

Reaction score
Ahh, ok then trev, see what you mean.

I'm also thinking the bigger carp do occupy a different part of the lake like nathan said. I do see some bigger carp jumping in a certain place occasionally through the spring/summer. I have fished this spot for hours n hours, but nothing. Middle of the lake, no features, nothing on the bottom but silt, like the rest of the lake. 30 - 40 yds from a bank lined with reeds and I have fished that too - zip.

I always enjoy my fishing specially when different things I try work. It's just those 12lb nuisance carp do my ed in /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Where you looking for conkers to launch squirrels with ?

moody

Reaction score
my advice if u want it ? is try using a korda curve hook to match your bait size it does all that turning action by its self cause of the shape of it as do many other good hooks on the market but most of all just make sure its damn sharp and check it every cast fish or no fish i have found that they work very well when using a coated supple hooklink and bottom baits, eg 15 or 18 mm boilies ? but as frothey has told you allreay its how the carp picks the bait up and moves away that will determine weather the turning action will work ,i have seen big carp and therefore old wise carp sit right on top of a lead before and eat everything around it knowing that it is safe and then bugger off and leave so it does need a little bit fo luck mate /forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif