Maintaining the Standard

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Maintaining the Standard

thumbnail.php

Whose are the mystery hands? Could they be Crow's? Flightliner's? Dorsetandchub's? Could be all three or anyone's on the FM site.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I can't find where Steve made his comments but I posted this some way back .

Regards members moving on. It will always happen really.

As Kevin mentioned on another thread it's pretty frustrating writing an article and getting little response. Yet I know many on here could add some great fishing days to write about.

Ok. A competition for contributors to write about their best or worst fishing day, with a decent prize on offer.( A days fishing with Cliff Hatton).......A Donated fishing rod or centrepin as a prize.

I woulld be happy to contribute a nights stay and a guided day on the Wye as a prize.*Something along those lines with say 3 independent judges who are not aware of Authors..I'm sure this would get some action.

So it would be good to get some sort or response from "the management" from that and other suggestions

n

wanderer

Reaction score
I feel the problem is that even regular contributors, feel that they may be going over old ground and risk boring people, i do. You get your own memories triggered by reading someone elses contributions and input and for that reason, i would encourage lads to share their trivia with us all and sometimes use articles and questions from different forums as a topic for chat, even if they are not your own, a new audience a new take, bring it on.

The bad one

Reaction score
I'm not catching very much at the moment, so I can knock up an article on inglorious blanking would that be any use to you? It would be sort and to the point, in fact I'll write below

Fishing c*ap and seems to be getting c*aper!
Job done I guess! :D:D

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Thanks, Graham, particularly for your personal offer (how's that, folks!?) I'll happily add a similar offer. Other incentives might be possible and viewers will be kept informed on this matter. A news item detailing the particulars of this Elliot-inspired project will be posted as soon as possible.

laguna

Reaction score
...ever wondered if a worm yawns as it slowly stretches?
I am a sucker for such thoughts and things, a real nut job as hard as any devout illiterate nuance in search of a cracker!
Questions such as "Do maggots feel pain"? more than a do fish feel it sort of guy! Better, do casters scream under water in their shells or morph unknowingly into the stomach acid of fish?

I feel the problem is that even regular contributors, feel that they may be going over old ground and risk boring people, i do. You get your own memories triggered by reading someone elses contributions and input and for that reason, i would encourage lads to share their trivia with us all and sometimes use articles and questions from different forums as a topic for chat, even if they are not your own, a new audience a new take, bring it on.

I think anyone who has fished a bit will have a tale or two to tell and they needn't be expert, nobody is really an expert where fishing's concerned anyway.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
The Bad One said "I'm not catching very much at the moment, so I can knock up an article on inglorious blanking would that be any use to you? It would be sort and to the point, in fact I'll write below Fishing c*ap and seems to be getting c*aper! Job done I guess!" :D:D

Could you expand on that, Bad One? 1,000 words?

The bad one

Reaction score
I rose early that day, around lunchtime, with great expectations and excitement of venturing forth onto the hallowed banks of the might River Ribble, England's finest, for a afternoon/evening barbel session. After my daily meet up with Musthafa Sh1t were dealt with, I preceded to in quite contemplation to gather my tackle together for what would be the great the adventure ahead.

Insert sycophantic, grovelling, hopefully freebie tackle sponsors name to everything taken on the day here!

After a leisurely drive up the M66 where I encountered several Eddie Stobart lorries intent on advertising to the world they are the “Kings” of the road by blocking both carriageways of what is a two lane motorway, I arrived at the river, only to find it lapping just under the farm car park. And unnatural lake appearing on the other side of the river as far as the eye could see.

Yes it's going to be tough I said to myself, but we are here now so let make the best of it!

Thankfully the farm is having some work done and I could find some holed breeze-blocks in the yard to use as weights, so I chose my trusty 5lb TC floodwater, more sycophantic and grovelling sponsor name, rods. I heaved the breeze-block bait weights out by hand down the side and settled in to wait for the barbel bites that I knew would come!
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. Yes another cra**ier day than the last one!

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Dorset: it's a matter of making things even better. Historically FM has run successfully on occasional feature-submissions, editorial comment, press releases and grapevine news - not forgetting, of course, the very lively forums section. Partly in response to Derek Gibson's original forum comment (which wasn't universally endorsed I'm pleased to say) and partly in response to Graham Elliot's contribution, I am formally inviting / requesting submissions from FM's membership. Like I said, we have a near-limitless cornucopia of good stories and how-to articles potentially at our disposal - what a luxury! And yet it remains largely untapped.

I'm hoping to reward contributors in due course but unable to commit to this at present - but don't let that stop you, Dorset!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Well

For what its worth, here's a throw away idea.......

I am a barbel virgin, never caught one, never fished for them. I do however, now live quite near the River Trent, where I understand such fish have been known to reside.

If a member were to offer me the chance to fish for barbel (please note the term fish for, not necessarily catch) I am more than willing to take either said person, or maybe even another member lure fishing. That's good two opportunities to get some form of article cobbled together for the site, and from a different view. The fishing doesn't have to be an exclusive syndicate water, the idea is just to give an angler a chance to try something else.

It could even become an occasional feature, I am sure there are any number of coarse anglers who have never tried fly fishing, beachcasting, stick float fishing, pole fishing, etc, etc, who might like to try a one-off opportunity.

Oh well, dream over.........

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Cliff.

I'm hoping you will formally announce the competition running for say a 6 month period.

Kevin. You can come and catch some barbel this way ( Herefordshire) if you want.

I do fish the Trent but at a strictly no publicity location I'm afraid.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Hi Graham, many thanks for your kind offer. Looks like it's just you and me out of the 'thousands' on here.... !!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Hi Mark
I'm in Lincoln (hence the Trent reference) but it doesn't have to be me.....!