A very big Zander....

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Thumbing through the Maidenhead Advertiser this morning ( waiting for the car to be serviced ! ) I note in the 'Fishing ' section that someone recently caught a 19lb 14oz Zander for Grafham Water in Cambridgeshire

Apparently he was fishing from a boat in deep water with a St Croix lure rod + Stradic reel together with 14lb braid and 20lb braid main line to a vertically jigged rubber shad lure....whatever that means.....
The write up, by an Ian Welsh, also states the Zander run to 22lb or so at Grafham with the 19lb+ fish the 7th largest ever caught !

I'm not a Zander man, but I thought it might interest some on here.......................

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The zander fishing on Grafham and Rutland can be outstanding so I believe but it is not for boys. Location is everything and an echo sounder virtually essential.

I really fancy giving it a go but I don't have the gear and I'm hopeless with lures anyway. It would be different if it was on me doorstep.

daniel121

Reaction score
Wow !!

Well done mate thats not that far away off the British record:thumbs::thumbs:

reeds

Reaction score
The zander fishing on Grafham and Rutland can be outstanding so I believe but it is not for boys. Location is everything and an echo sounder virtually essential.

I really fancy giving it a go but I don't have the gear and I'm hopeless with lures anyway. It would be different if it was on me doorstep.

It's been quite a while since I last logged on here, but over the last few years I've been doing quite a bit of lure fishing for zander at Rutland and (a few years previously) Grafham.

If you're serious about wanting to try it, you'd be very welcome to come along for a day next autumn? Rutland is a much better bet to start with as there a lots more fish, albeit smaller ones. But to be honest the size is not really important, the technique and the bites are everything - it is horrendously addictive!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's been quite a while since I last logged on here, but over the last few years I've been doing quite a bit of lure fishing for zander at Rutland and (a few years previously) Grafham.

If you're serious about wanting to try it, you'd be very welcome to come along for a day next autumn? Rutland is a much better bet to start with as there a lots more fish, albeit smaller ones. But to be honest the size is not really important, the technique and the bites are everything - it is horrendously addictive!

Hey Andrew, don't forget you've already got a boat partner ;):D.