More rain on the way in the North

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just wondered how any of you chaps are coping with it up north. Some high winds and rain coming your way I think this weekend. Do any of you still try fishing those rivers or do you just give up; are they completely un-fisherable? Or is it a case of far more important things to worry about, getting your homes flooded for example?. I imagine you must be sick of it by now.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Still weighing up my my options today Mark, I was going to the Trent today but am crying off, if it wernt for this sou'westerly thats rattlin'the house I would have no qualms in going but finding the wind off my back below a high bank is impossible and I dont want to lose my brollie so, a few hours this afternoon on the river Don thats well sheltered may be on the cards.
Thats the scenario from the north midlands anyway, others may have plans to keep building an ark.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Blowing like hell right now with heavy showers, luckily no constant rain atm, the sort which has caused the flooding.

Odd people have been making a dash to fish the rivers when they had a window to do so.
I've only had one short go this year and caught one fish. I think the EA should give us a free rod licence since we've had naff all use out of our last one lol.

greenie62

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts Mark,
We've had one or two windows of opportunity to get at the rivers recently - when the levels have dropped enough to have a go. As always though - it's never on the days that you've got a chance to go!

The problems haven't just been with the river levels though! :eek: From the winds we've also had trees and branches down - blocking roads & tracks - even to stillwaters! Mudslides and unstable banks have proved hazardous when you get close to the rivers or even sinkholes on main roads going to the tackle shop!:eek:

A fortnight ago we had to cancel one of our planned riverbank cleanups because of the snow - that didn't help!:eek:mg:

How's it going you ask? - Swimmingly! :rolleyes::D
:thumbs:

B

binka

I got on the river in the last lot we had earlier in the week, if you're sensible about it and pick a sheltered bank with the wind coming from behind and more importantly where you can easily get out of the water should the worse happen, then it's fine.

I'm just going through the throws of choosing my fishing for the weekend but really can't decide at the moment just where to go and what to fish for.

john step

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts Mark,
We've had one or two windows of opportunity to get at the rivers recently - when the levels have dropped enough to have a go. As always though - it's never on the days that you've got a chance to go!

Exactly!!!!

Today I got talked out of going piking by my sandwich maker due to the prospect of high winds and falling trees. I had a walk round a local water and it wasn't so bad after all. Wish I had gone:eek:mg:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Above and beyond the call of duty I would say. Still enjoying a bit of fishing you chaps, good to hear. Where theres a will, theres a way.
Its like Churchill said when woken at 3pm one freezing January morning by his secretary and told that Two Guardsmen have been caught on Hampstead Heath in a compromising position and a scandal was eminent. He asked what the temperature was out side and the secretary replied below freezing Sir. He replied "makes you proud to be British".

I think we have escaped the worse down south, some flooding but not to the degree you people have had in some areas and fortunately, I live high up.
Anyway, February next week, I always feel better once Dec and Jan are done with and before we know it, we will all be basking in May sunshine pulling out fat Tench and Rudd, not far away. Well, its always nice to think of it.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It wasn't too dusty this morning down south, although nothing like those closer to Scotland. I managed 3 hours hidden in the corner of a lake with trees behind me for shelter, which offered up some small branches ( actually more like large twigs ! ) several times. Unusual to hear the wind whistle at so many different pitches, but three hours od it was quite enough to blow the cobwebs away !

It was mild enough though...not that it made the slightest difference to the fish, well any decent fish, anyway !

Let's hope Feb doesn't offer up any snow - we've had everything else......

Ah, May sunshine...what a thought..

slaphead

Reaction score
At least we shouldn't be suffering water shortages next year, or is it the wrong sort of rain. :rolleyes:

robtherake

Reaction score
I confess that I haven't seen the Tees yet this year, but I can't do any work on the garden yet - even with the improved drainage that raised beds bring - it's just too claggy by far, so I'd expect that the river's still up a bit.
My favourite pool has an outlet, fortunately. Usually a trickle, it was more like a spate-ridden Swale in miniature last week. This week the muddy colour is dropping out and things are almost back to normal, thank goodness. The rain can pee off.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Too busy working to keep me fishing for the rest of the year to give a damn. However, it's an outside job and, judging by the horrible conditions I've been working in, I doubt I'm missing anything.