4000 Reels

realmadyid

Reaction score
Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been here. Family life etc. Anyhow, I'm looking for quality reel to use for tench, carp, feeder and float fishing. I have 2500 reels, and 6000 baitrunners, but was looking for something inbetween?

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Personally, if the rods you have balance with your reels, I would suggest you keep the set up you have.

The species you're targeting does suggest the 2500 might be a bit small though, it's all down to the rods you have and how and where you are going to use them.

naxian62

Reaction score
Howdy, welcome back.
All my reels probably fit in that catagory. Shim baitrunner 4000 s, not gonna say too much about them. Been using 'em for about 8 months, so far so good. But what has been a surprise are the Drennan Series 7 float an feeder reels, which just keep on truckin'. Super smooth drag and a couple of extra spools included. Love 'em.

robtherake

Reaction score
What reels do you currently have? The 2500 designation varies quite a bit in size between different manufacturers and models. I'd say that your 6000s are probably bang-on for a rod with a 1.5lb test curve. Money burning a hole, is it? :D

realmadyid

Reaction score
What reels do you currently have? The 2500 designation varies quite a bit in size between different manufacturers and models. I'd say that your 6000s are probably bang-on for a rod with a 1.5lb test curve. Money burning a hole, is it? :D

Probably! Lol!! Bloody fishing..?

Keith M

Reaction score
I use a Shimano Stradic 4000S GTM RC for the type of fishing you describe, it's not too large and bulky for float fishing when I'm fishing for Tench and Crucians plus it is also OK for when I'm fishing for Barbel and small to medium sized Carp at close to medium range.

Its designed to be used with lines from about 5lb or 6lb up to the 10lb mark (it takes approximately 160 Mtrs of 6lb line and 100 Mtrs of 10lb line)

I think my 5000 and 6000 size reels are far too big for float fishing and I think the Stradic 4000 is a good compromise for the range of fishing you need it for, and it should balance quite well with a 1.5lb test curve rod.

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Same as Keith, the stradic 3000 or 4000 would be ideal. The 4000 has a slightly larger spool and holds more line that's about the only difference.

realmadyid

Reaction score
Tx. Everyone. Think I'll look at a stradic, or the Daiwa mentioned. Shimano have never let me down..

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Tx. Everyone. Think I'll look at a stradic, or the Daiwa mentioned. Shimano have never let me down..

Watch out when buying the new shimano's, many are now plastic, cheap plastic, and with the silly double handle :D, had to get the last bit in before Skippy did ;)

daniel121

Reaction score

Personally mate I'd never buy another Shimano reel again. I used to be 100% sold on them but the Shimano reels now are not in the same league as the older made in Japan reels.

These are the reels that earned Shimano the reputation they are now living off, as Ray above correctly points out be careful

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
These are nice reels....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPWDJsh_M1A

I got myself one recently, not had the chance to use it yet because of the weather conditions but it feels good when handling it, all metal body and two metal spools. It has line reducer clips also so you can reduce the amount of line you need to put on the spool if you like.