''Tackle accessories touted as indispensible''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
There have been a number over the years, but many have fallen by the wayside. In my own field, ''Predator'' there was the ''Deep throat disgorger'', and in recent times the ''Boga grip'' incorporating a weigh scale. Neither of which I have never used and never will. But there must be other examples in other branches of the sport, and have you come across any. And if so what were they.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Many Carp things,

The Spom, anything Camo, (more like Campo)

The Korda bollie crusher. This is in fact a Nut crusher from Oz, and wasn't invented by Korda at all, just like many things made by Korda.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
and in recent times the ''Boga grip'' incorporating a weigh scale. Neither of which I have never used and never will.

. . . . . that was going to be my top-of-the-list "indispensable" gadget that, like you, I'd never consider using in a million years.

One for the pole anglers here; the Pole Claw . . . if you cannot hold your damn pole yourself then maybe you should not be fishing with one?

flightliner

Reaction score
Michell made a reel that had an audible alarm built into it that was intended for the carp n predater men. I cant remember if it had a baitrunner option, maybe it was just to be used with a loosely set clutch. To be honest it was a good attempt at being competative with the more efficiant audible alarms that were being used with increasing regularity back then in the eighties but maybe as it didnt register drop back bites it just faded into obscurity.
Revived with a baitrunner format and some hi tech wizardry to show a drop back it may just be what some guys would consider worth a punt.

Are you sat down Derek cos I nearly forgot to mention the gaff !!:eek:mg:

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never actualy seen a boga grip in the flesh but have seen them used on the TV. They seem popular overseas and are supposedly fish friendly.
I don't think i'll ever be getting one but what don't you like about the Derek / Peter ?

Keith M

Reaction score
Bob Nudds Maggipults (or whatever they were called) which enabled the pole angler to feed one handed while holding the Pole; It is still sold in some places by another name.

I bought one when they first came out many years ago; but after trying it I just chucked it into the back of my shed; it made a loud kerplack! when used which scared every fish for miles and also scared all the crows from adjacent fields LOL.

Keith

Chefster

Reaction score
Bob Nudds Maggipults (or whatever they were called) which enabled the pole angler to feed one handed while holding the Pole; It is still sold in some places by another name.

I bought one when they first came out many years ago; but after trying it I just chucked it into the back of my shed; it made a loud kerplack! when used which scared every fish for miles and also scared all the crows from adjacent fields LOL.

Keith
Its called "the Polecat"-lol,i dont actually know anyone that was silly enough to buy one!!:D

robtherake

Reaction score
There was a bite alarm called the "Onrod" (advertised in the angling weeklies and monthlies) which, as you may have already guessed, clipped on the rod between butt and second rings. The problem being that it wasn't a small device and you would expect it to wreck your rod's balance - badly balanced rods are poor fish-playing tools, in my experience. I've seen other, lighter (and much cheaper) on rod alarms, but these were big boogers!

Anyway, it seemed to disappear without trace and I can't remember ever seeing one on the bank. I did manage to find the advert in an old magazine, though....

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Its called "the Polecat"-lol,i dont actually know anyone that was silly enough to buy one!!:D

I saw an old geezer using one at a lake in Skegness, but it seemed to work brilliantly (and quietly) so maybe there's more than one design, or maybe he'd fettled it. It was astonishingly accurate and had a tight grouping, too. I think he said it was an EZ Feeda...and by the power of the internet, voila!

http://www.ezfeeda.co.uk/how-ezfeeda-works

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

Michell made a reel that had an audible alarm built into it that was intended for the carp n predater men. I cant remember if it had a baitrunner option, maybe it was just to be used with a loosely set clutch. To be honest it was a good attempt at being competative with the more efficiant audible alarms that were being used with increasing regularity back then in the eighties but maybe as it didnt register drop back bites it just faded into obscurity.
Revived with a baitrunner format and some hi tech wizardry to show a drop back it may just be what some guys would consider worth a punt.

Are you sat down Derek cos I nearly forgot to mention the gaff !!:eek:mg:

Two Mitchell Full Runner 600 Electronic Fishing reels | eBay

flightliner

Reaction score
Nice one Rob, so it did have a freespool, L wonder if it predated the Shimano's ???.
Interesting you show the EZ feeder and the reel, where was the link to a gaff?.:rolleyes:

robtherake

Reaction score
Nice one Rob, so it did have a freespool, L wonder if it predated the Shimano's ???.
Interesting you show the EZ feeder and the reel, where was the link to a gaff?.:rolleyes:

It came out some time after the 2250RD reels (not bad: I owned a pair for many years) which was mid-to-late eighties, I think. I was re-reading a load of old fishing mags last week and one variant featured in a head-to-head along with the Daiwa Regal X 4050 and Shimano 4010 baitrunners, amongst other, lesser reels.

They've released a few versions over the years: the one on test (in 1997) was called the Mitchell Predator. You pressed a button on the front of the spool to engage the baitrunner, but it took up to two turns of the reel handle to re-engage the main drag, which seems a bit silly. :)

As for the gaff........I make rather enough gaff(e)s on these pages, thank you very much. :D

Edit - Mitchell released the Full Runner Electronic 600 in the US in 2001.

Last edited:
B

binka

Feeder arm attachment for a chair.

"How often would I have been glad of that", I thought when I bought it some five years ago as it still hangs in the garage unused :eek:mg:

robtherake

Reaction score
Feeder arm attachment for a chair.

"How often would I have been glad of that", I thought when I bought it some five years ago as it still hangs in the garage unused :eek:mg:

They look brilliant in the pics don't they? Trouble is, nine times out of ten, you either can't get the angle right or the reel fouls against something. I've hardly used mine since I rolled sideways off the chair (don't ask) and right over the rod resting thereon. No damage except for pride and I'm used to that, but once bitten....

daniel121

Reaction score

Lol Gazza and Brian :D

I saw Jan Porter fishing the Trent in his days when he fished in red, many years before this useless invention. He had a home made one of these mate. His castapult slotted in, I think it was a trev tomlin river king one. Anyway I asked him about it he was fishing 11m to hand on this day I asked him what it's was "It's so as I can feed one handed" Anyway throughout the hour I watched him he always pulled his catapult out this contraption and fed normally lol :eek::eek:

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Don't forget the Korda Krusher Pouch.
It'll keep it safe and prevent it coming apart and getting damaged during transit.
Only six quid.

steve2

Reaction score
I have one of those Mitchell Predator reels it came with 4 easy change spools. A nice little reel I use it for my light spinning work. I also have a gaff hanging up in the shed if anyone wants one. Haven’t used that since the 70’s.
I still carry a Deep Throat Disgorger, never had to use it but carry it just in case.
Have seen it in use and it does work.