Favorite Floats

daniel121

Reaction score
Come on then lads we all have them, what's yours and why??

Mines my John Dean wire stem stick floats, so many memories. However I have to say even without the nostalgic feelings they really do work exceptionally well, the problem with modern 'wire' stem sticks is there's very little 'wire' on them! The 'wire' is alloy and it doesn't work as well.

Last edited:

Chefster

Reaction score
My Favourite float of "now time" is the Tunnel Barn Farm "Cult",slim chianti style pole float,with carbon stem and bristle,designed by angling legend Pete Rice,i use this float all summer for F1 shallow,and on the deck,my other favourite float is the Malman"Benny",wire stem,slim float,ideal pellet float.....Nostalgia wise the Billy Lane "canal Dart" and "Onion" floats...i remember using the darts on the oxford canal,they had a brass loading in the base,and took about 3 dust shot,they used to fly across the canal with ease...We used to use the Onion on the GUC,as it was wider,then we were used to fishing...Gazza

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Little two-ring sliders for shallow streams - even 6" of slide gives a much quieter strike.
Still experimenting with them. First lesson - if I put the top eye where I think it ought to go, it's probably too high up the float.

B

binka

Despite my penchant for sticks it would have to be the perch bob for me simply because they were the first floats I used and they just have that fishy look about 'em.

Another "classic" when conditions dictate is the driftbeater, amazingly sensitive floats with their carbon antenna and a great sight bob stuck on the top.

A float I really enjoy using when there's a good chop on the water...

lambert1

Reaction score
I don't really have the expertise or the experience to talk about the fantastic number of floats available these days, although I have been impressed with the Drennan Loafer floats when I have used them. Nostalgia wise it has to be the Porcupine quill float as that was the first float I ever bought and I still have a few now.

daniel121

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't really have a present day favourite, this is largly because I got quite into floats. This stems from Billy lanes book I read 40 plus years ago.

I now make all my own floats and tend to view them practically as lumps of balsa,glass,foam, cane,quill etc etc........ Now this actually makes me a better fishermen I believe because instead of picking that magic float out now I select the right material shape stc to gain the presentation I want but ... I also feel I miss out because that 'pet float' became special.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the venue dictates what float I use so I have several favourites really. For trotting on the river my favourite is the Steve Maher bolo. For close in still water fishing I often just use various lengths of peacock quill (as is, not painted etc).

If fishing further out I like the driftbeaters style same as Binka uses and in various sizes.
Another float i've found handy and often use is the weighted drennan puddle chuckers.

daniel121

Reaction score
Binker, great picture mate :thumbs:

I have some drift beaters, I copied them but have never been happy with mine

Chefster

Reaction score
Thinking about "perch bobbers" and "Porcupine Quills",makes you wish things hadnt evolved,life was so simple then:D

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
John Dean sticks with nylon stems; still have a few. I also have some wire stem ones. These are easy to make - you just need some piano wire and balsa.

flightliner

Reaction score
Hard to say, so many to choose from but maybe a stick just shades it over the never ending fascination of seeing a dead fish suspended from a pike float can still swim.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Most of my sticks and Avons come from Dave Harrell - they cover just about every situation for me................

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Drennan shouldered stick is my long time favourite for most rivers.

The barbel trotter is also a great one when you've got very fast pushing water.

Nostalgic one. The 12 inch long porcupine quills that took between 2-4 swan shot for kennet trotting overdepth.

Chefster

Reaction score
When i used to fish the rivers,one of my favs at the time was the "crowquill avon" float or "Toppers"as they were known.but those days are gone for me now...:(.Gazza

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

lambert1

Reaction score
Beautiful work Peter! I would be terrified of losing them! My home made ones are very crude in comparison, but when those damn trees deliberately grab hold of them;) they are easy to replace:D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Beautiful work Peter! I would be terrified of losing them! My home made ones are very crude in comparison, but when those damn trees deliberately grab hold of them;) they are easy to replace:D

Those Andrew Fields floats are sort of works of art, and I'll admit to having had the shoes and socks off a few times (in the summer) in order to wade in for a rescue LOL

I have a couple of his really lovely Pike bung floats as well but at around £25 a piece they stay sat in my study . . . . .

daniel121

Reaction score
When i used to fish the rivers,one of my favs at the time was the "crowquill avon" float or "Toppers"as they were known.but those days are gone for me now...:(.Gazza

Why mate? The rivers may be different to the 'good old days' but that doesn't mean they are worse. In the warmer months The Trent around me you can catch realistically 8lb of slivers of pretty much any stretch - pleasure fishing anyway

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Different floats for different methods for me.

I have some John Allerton stick floats, also the chubbier along with many others.

Deep still water, i like the drift beater, great for slider float fishing, and so sensitive.

Peacock quill for close in and laying on.

daniel121

Reaction score
John Dean sticks with nylon stems; still have a few. I also have some wire stem ones. These are easy to make - you just need some piano wire and balsa.

Shhhh! They won't be 'proper' deanies then :):)
P.s
I know mate I've made my lad a set ::thumbs: