To unwrap or not?

john step

Reaction score
I notice in some photos that some folk leave the plastic wrapping on cork rod handles for as long as possible.

I appreciate this is to preserve the new look but I have also always thought that if the rod gets wet(as if it ever would in the UK!) the corks would get black mould growing on it.

Also I prefer the feel of the cork to the plastic feel. It seems to me that to leave the plastic on negates the point of cork over an artificial handle.
The cork can scrub up OK with washing up liquid anyway and rods are for using.

Any thoughts anyone?

Chefster

Reaction score
The first thing i do is take the plastic off,whats the point of leaving it on,the rod doesnt feel right..Gazza

B

binka

Like Chef the first thing I do is unwrap the handle.

My regular fishing partner leaves it on and even barcode stickers on his gear in general simply because he knows it drives me nuts to see 'em :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do a bit of both, sometimes I remove the placcy straight away and others I just leave it on until it gets on my nerves enough to make me remove it. I've never had any prob's with cork going moldy etc when the placcy is left on. I never leave wet rods in a bag (like I used to when I didn't give a monkeys) and so if any moisture has run under the placcy it just dries out ok and it's never left any stains so far.

daniel121

Reaction score
Always leave as much on as I can for as long as I can.

I always take my kit out to dry after a heavy rain session and look at the bottom of the plastic if any damp got in I remove an inch at a time. Some of my rods only have a tiny bit remaining

tonybull

Reaction score
I think people leave the plastic because they are more interested in worrying what the rod be will be worth £££ if they want to sell it.

They can say its hardly been used and in very good condition with the plastic still on. When in fact they have had plenty of use out it.

Bad if you ask me, just remove the plastic of the handle and use it and enjoy yourself.

greenie62

Reaction score
I remove it as and when it gets on my nerves - I've got 20yr old rods with it still on and 3-month old rods with it off - only exception is fly rods where it comes off straight away!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Take the stuff off. They use cork for handles for a reason. That reason being that it is still the best stuff for the job. Leaving the plastic on defeats the whole object.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you leaved the plastic wrapping on a cork handle then you are inviting moisture to remain and eventually to turn sour and rot the cork.

Cork handles are so easy to keep clean (and dry) that I see no good reason to jeep the plastic wrapping after purchase.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Followed closely by that annoying sticker that tells me not to stick a carbon rod up an electricity pylon. ......and any other irritating decals etc that I find offensive ie very nearly all of them.

I'm curious to know if the Hardy decals on your avon rod have been sanded off :eek:mg:

B

binka

I'm curious to know if the Hardy decals on your avon rod have been sanded off :eek:mg:

Ian I kid you not, the very fist one I bought about five years ago very nearly had the decals sanded off but I backed off... Even at my most brutal I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Glad I didn't now as I'd only forget which rod was which :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ian I kid you not, the very fist one I bought about five years ago very nearly had the decals sanded off but I backed off... Even at my most brutal I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Glad I didn't now as I'd only forget which rod was which :eek:mg:

Blimey :eek:, that would have been a disaster !

I like the decals on all my rods, especially the drennan ones that give you the info on line ratings etc so you never forget them...very handy.
I like the classy look of the Hardy decals :D.