ready mades

sagalout

Reaction score
If you keep your rods made up do use something like the drennan rod sleeves, tip protectors, just some form of band or summink else?

If you don't use a full protection like the drennan rod sleeves, have you ever damaged a reel, rod eye or line in transit?

wanderer

Reaction score
Although i have a massive quantum holdall, i tend to carry three rods tied up with garden tie wire, and yes i have have bent the rings on a couple of occasions.

robtherake

Reaction score
Only time I've ever bust a rod or reel in a rod bag was when my cheap roof rack disintegrated at 70 on the A19. I wish I had a video of me running back down the hard shoulder waving frantically at approaching vehicles then dashing out to grab the tattered bag and getting the wax blown out of my ears by a truck horn from 6 feet away.:eek: Amazingly, although the bag was a write-off the only other damage was a broke butt-ring liner on one carp rod and a reel that was chamfered off at the rear and heat-welded to what was left of the bag. The bloody thing was only up top cause I'd taken all my kids and nephews for a tangling session and the car was chock-a-block. We carried on to where we were going and had a spiffing day in the end. :)

NB: All stunts were performed by a deranged amateur - don't try this at home, kids. :D

daniel121

Reaction score
I make all mine up on the day, it don't take long.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I smashed a made up rod after a days fishing.

Who would have thought a van door could make such a mess of a rod :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got a couple of the drennan made up sleeves and the quiver but only to take freshly made up rods to the bank, save doing it there. when I get home the rods and reels are dismantled and put away. If i'm honest I feel better/safer with my rods in their bags and in hard placcy tubes and make them up on the bank.

Keith M

Reaction score
I carry most of my 12 and 13ft 2 piece rods ready made up in rod sleeves; but will always change my hooks & hooklengths, plus the last few feet of my mainline either at home or on the bankside before I start fishing.

I keep most of my 2 piece rods in their own padded rod sleeves and each time I buy a new 2 piece rod I will usually buy another rod sleeve to keep it in.

Although I do own a large rod bag (which takes 3 made-up rods & several more slots for unmade-up rods) It doesn't get much use as 99% of the time I much prefer to use a small quiver with rods in rod sleeves attached.
If I am carrying 3 or 4 piece rods with me then I will usually carry them in tubes in the quivers central compartment.

Keith.

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
The only time I have had anything brake was on an un-made rod which I put down the side of the passenger’s seat when getting ready to go on holiday the misses slid the seat back and snap the butt ring off…. Most of the time my 2 piece rod are made up ready in a rod sleeve with a butt & tip protector

sagalout

Reaction score
I keep mine made up in drennan rod sleeves and I change the hook links and the last 6ft of line either before packing up or at home. It is getting expensive to keep buying rod sleeves for each rod so I am looking for a cheaper way, but I do have a lot of confidence in the drennan sleeves and I 'spose £20 to protect an £100 rod makes sense.

Obviously the cheapest way is to put them in tubes and make them up on the bank which is what I always used to do but as the eyes are getting dimmer and the finger dexterity is diminishing this is a real pain in the early hours before full light so made up is now my prefer way.

thecrow

Reaction score
Only time I've ever bust a rod or reel in a rod bag was when my cheap roof rack disintegrated at 70 on the A19. I wish I had a video of me running back down the hard shoulder waving frantically at approaching vehicles then dashing out to grab the tattered bag and getting the wax blown out of my ears by a truck horn from 6 feet away.:eek: Amazingly, although the bag was a write-off the only other damage was a broke butt-ring liner on one carp rod and a reel that was chamfered off at the rear and heat-welded to what was left of the bag. The bloody thing was only up top cause I'd taken all my kids and nephews for a tangling session and the car was chock-a-block. We carried on to where we were going and had a spiffing day in the end. :)

NB: All stunts were performed by a deranged amateur - don't try this at home, kids. :D

I had something similar happen in Holland while driving to a water, holdall on the roofrack and for some reason the front end came loose and dropped down onto the road result was 2 male parts of the ferrules ground down to a perfect 45 degree angle.

Nowadays my rods are left set up in my sling, first cast is always reeled back in running the ling through my fingers feeling for any damage.

rayner

Reaction score
Rods were always made up on the bank, nowadays I take them made up.
My rods are always ready to go. If I have spare time I renew the bottom 2 feet at home if not they go as they are.
If I crack off for any reason I change rods rather spend time tackling up again, Baring in mind it's almost impossible for me to do the easiest of tasks on the bank.
I have hard case rod sleeves for any rods I take.

B

binka

The more fragile rods I have like float rods are all carried packed down and assembled bankside but I do carry more robust rods with Avon style ringing already made up.

I actually took delivery of these just this morning after considering a pair for some time, they're the extra long (85cm) Gardner tip protectors...

I will use these in conjunction with the neoprene rod bands that I've already been using.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The more fragile rods I have like float rods are all carried packed down and assembled bankside but I do carry more robust rods with Avon style ringing already made up.

I actually took delivery of these just this morning after considering a pair for some time, they're the extra long (85cm) Gardner tip protectors...

I will use these in conjunction with the neoprene rod bands that I've already been using.

Steve, are you planning on putting the neoprene straps on first (keep the sections appart and stop them rubbing against one another) and pulling the tip protector over them? I know the wychwood tip protectors are a tight fit so won't go over rod bands. Have you tried them out yet?

B

binka

Steve, are you planning on putting the neoprene straps on first (keep the sections appart and stop them rubbing against one another) and pulling the tip protector over them? I know the wychwood tip protectors are a tight fit so won't go over rod bands. Have you tried them out yet?

Yes mate, neoprene bands will be on first and there's bags of room in the sleeve, the cut back is very long with an extra velcro wrap halfway along to allow for such stuff and I reckon they would even fit over a normal tip protector :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes mate, neoprene bands will be on first and there's bags of room in the sleeve, the cut back is very long with an extra velcro wrap halfway along to allow for such stuff and I reckon they would even fit over a normal tip protector :)

They sound like belters then Steve :).

I was gonn'a get some of them myself a few months back but plumped for full length drennan sleeves instead.
If i'm honest I think it's best to just keep your rods in their bags and tubes and make them on on the bank, at least they're 100% protected.

terry m

Reaction score
I leave all 2 piece rods made up, though I do make a point of inspecting the end gear each time.

Yes, I too have damaged one or two rings in the past, but care is needed. I use either Nash Tip Tops, or Korum tip protectors, both do a decent job.

I used to use Trakker reel protectors but the fixing elastic is poor and I upgraded to the Fox reel protectors, they are superb and perfect for larger reels.

qtaran111

Reaction score
I keep mine made up in a Preston Innovations Monster 1 + 1 holdall. Terrible name, great product. It's similar to the drennan sleeve but is harder so offers more protection.

I also use neoprene tip & butt protectors, not really for protection but it just makes things easier when setting up and breaking down.

The pic below shows the 180cm and 160cm versions (with some other **** strapped on the outside) from when a mate and I went fishing.

IMG_4613-M.jpg