Seasonal Habits

wanderer

Reaction score
So spring is knocking on the door early be the looks of it, and i have a week off. Normally, my first session would be aimed at Chub and my second definitely will, but because my mate is going Carp fishing, i have decided to break with tradition and join him, not too optimistic though, not put in my usual prebaits and i still feel the water temp isnt where i want it. Barbel expedition before the river closes and Pike late Autumn with Carp, Bream and Tench, fill the middle months and the occassional treat of floating round a trout reservoir dont go amiss. Do you follow certain patterns with your fishing or is it as the mood takes you.

daniel121

Reaction score
I think everyone has seasonal patterns, If nothing else the weather dictates this?

I tend to fish the Trent in the summer with a couple of fishing holidays chucked in. Then its the Soar and during winter floods commercials.:)

Keith M

Reaction score
I usually tend to spend the first few weeks of Spring on my local Estate lake chasing Tench and Crucians with the occasional session after Carp until the river season opens.

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't necessarily fish seasonal but if pressed and based on records I would go for it thus.
jan roach
feb chub
mar chub-crucian
apr rudd
may tench
jun rudd
jul carp
aug bream
sep roach
oct crucians
nov rudd
dec chub

I have sometimes thought to just fish for one species per month, plenty of variety and would I do worse. Become a specimen angler for a different species each month. I might try it this year when I get into my stride.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
spring is knocking on the door early be the looks of it

It certainly looks like it down here in Wiltshire; yesterday I saw daffodils in bloom on the roadside and snowdrops in peoples gardens too.

I tend to keep to the fly fishing until mid to late summer when my local rivers are in better form.

rayner

Reaction score
My options have totally changed.
Years ago all my summers were spent on the Tidal Trent, winters were spent on the upper Welland.
Since the end of the 90s my year was all spent on commercials. that changed recently as my cold weather fishing is on my local canal drop shot fishing.
Lure fishing never bothered me but I didn't know what I was missing.
I love it, I also wish I could handle Pike but sadly can't.

B

binka

Do you follow certain patterns with your fishing or is it as the mood takes you.

A bit of both really.

There's the obvious seasonal swing towards pike and zander from October onwards but I'm happy enough to have a go at whatever takes my fancy which has been the case this winter having done relatively very little dedicated pike fishing.

Sometimes it's not the species which dictates what I go for but more a particular method which I just fancy using regardless of what comes along.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Fish by the seasons, it can be very cold in April and warm in winter like this year.

Fish as you would normally, keep an eye on the weather fish accordingly.

Bob