''The price of fame''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
There are, and have been individuals in angling who seem to crave fame amongst the wider angling public. Ironically these individuals fail to grasp that in doing so they place themselves under the proverbial microscope, with the inevitable consequences that are not always constructive.

There have been a number of examples in recent years with the result of tarnished reputations. I cannot be the only one to be aware of this, but having been privy on several occasions it does tend to leave a bad taste in the mouth. Some may argue, does it matter, well yes I think it does. I'm reminded by the words of my Dad,'' You reap what you sow''.

But what do you think?

Last edited:

wanderer

Reaction score
Depends if you want to make a living out of your hobby, in all walks of life what you say is true, sportsmen and politicians along with royalty, spring to mind, wouldnt do for me, cameras flashing when you burp.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would imagine that the Price of Fame can be very high in terms of; quality of life, lost marriages, a vastly altered lifestyle and many more besides.

I immediately think back to the so-called "Circus" of the late 80's and all through the 90's where several known anglers would seemingly be led all over the Country in search of repeat captures of known fish, and you have to ask yourself . . . why?

To my mind the real work, thought and intelligence went into the first capture with the repeated captures are but mere diluted cameos . . . . .

The full text, I think, being:

"Do not be deceived. God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows"
from Galatians in the New Testament

sam vimes

Reaction score
Though there are shades of grey, I generally see the seekers of angling fame falling into two camps. Those that have a certain calculated aim, whether it's some degree of financial gain or fame for fame's sake. Then there are those with a degree of naivety, perhaps not appreciating the negative aspects of the nebulous fame they seek.

As far as I'm concerned, the majority of "famous" anglers don't get anywhere near enough compensation (financial or otherwise) for the level of scrutiny that they are likely to have to endure.

B

binka

I think there's a link somewhere between those that crave fame and how they generally perceive a good fishing experience.

To me, chasing a fish over several weeks through all manner of frustrations and weather is my idea of a living nightmare whereas a simple, nice session catching a few relatively insignificant fish is far more rewarding in terms of enjoyment and that's what it's all about for me... Special fish will happen along naturally as a matter of chance.

I appreciate we're not all the same and my living nightmare will bring some very high feelings of reward to those that practice it and maybe that's not a bad thing but I wouldn't want to see a water I fish ruined by publicity or fragile species like pike decimated due to over-angling pressure should that be a bye-product of such things.

All very subjective I guess and dependent on how it's done.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
My take on this would be that angling has been swept up and along with a country (and, probably, a world) where fame can be manufactured, can be instant and is not dependent on talent, skill or any other positive ability or achievement.

The media are, in part, to blame for this with "dumbing down" rubbish such anything involving Simon Cowell, The Only Way Is Essex and a tidal wave of other garbage rewarding idiots with the temptation of fame and fortune.

I personally find it sickening that nurses have to beg for a pay rise whilst these people are being handed sackfuls of cash to appear in what are, to my mind, the televisual version of a travelling Victorian carnival circus.

Under this kind of onslaught, angling cannot hope to sustain any kind of opposition for any length of time. As you have all rightly said, for a variety of reasons, people will try and jump on bandwagons but those bandwagons have to be already in existence or, at worst, be a very real possibility.

Personally speaking, I cannot think of anything more soul destroying that turning one's own life into The Truman Show.

I can walk down the street, go fishing, go anywhere in complete anonymity.

That's exactly how I like it, I'm guessing like most of you.

Last edited:

wanderer

Reaction score
I would imagine that the Price of Fame can be very high in terms of; quality of life, lost marriages, a vastly altered lifestyle and many more besides.

I immediately think back to the so-called "Circus" of the late 80's and all through the 90's where several known anglers would seemingly be led all over the Country in search of repeat captures of known fish, and you have to ask yourself . . . why?

To my mind the real work, thought and intelligence went into the first capture with the repeated captures are but mere diluted cameos . . . . .

Couldnt agree more, but the circus is still in full swing, MR Hearn is chasing the parrot.

rayner

Reaction score
Difficult for me to comment on this without me seeming envious or jealous.
Whilst I think credit is due for knowledge or captures during fishing I certainly don't proffer fame to anyone for their exploits.
There's a vast difference between fame and recognition in my book.
I do recognise skill but fame is harder to earn.

terry m

Reaction score
I am not convinced that there are too many (if any) anglers that are truly famous. And by famous I mean instantly recognisable to the general public.

If you stopped 100 people in a street and asked them who was the most famous fisherman that they know, I reckon almost all would say people like Jesus, Chris Tarrant, Ian Botham and maybe Gareth Edwards. The only people that would say - for example - Marks, Ashurst, Fairbrass, Hearn etc would be anglers.

thecrow

Reaction score
If you stopped 100 people in a street and asked them who was the most famous fisherman that they know, I reckon almost all would say people like Jesus, Chris Tarrant, Ian Botham and maybe Gareth Edwards.

All of whom are famous for things other than angling (I thought Jesus was a chippy) angling is a very insular sport and fame if that's what it is will normally only be achieved within angling.

There are those that have achieved recognition within angling without seeking it, Les Webber is an example, the trouble with seeking fame within angling nowadays as I see it is the once I have caught what I want i'm off and don't care what happens to the fish/water its served its purpose for me types.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score

But Peter, the first capture may have been sheer good luck, the subsequent captures down to hard work and dedication ?

As for this fame thing, what does it really mean, celebrity is the current big thing, the 5 minutes of fame scenario.

Catching big fish over a life time is the mark of a good big fish angler or consistently winning matches over a long period.

Fame comes at a price, as in any walk of life, if you go down that route, you have to act appropriately, if not it will catch up with you.

We have seen a good number of fallen hero's who cannot handle fame, I don't who I feel sorrier for the celebrity or the fools who follow such nonsense.

Bob

steve2

Reaction score
Not forgetting the most famous angler of them all, in the publics eyes, Robson Green.
Who are Fairbrass and Hearn, Never heard of them?

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Like a couple of people have said "fame" in angling is never going to be comparable with fame in a wider sporting context...an angler is never going to be known like Ursain bolt...yet it comes with many of the downsides on the persons personal life.

I dont have any problem with an angler or Anyone else seeking "fame" as long as they dont moan about it after. I recall a very well known angler writing a long treaty in one of his articles bemoaning that anglers came to talk to him when he fished...including some very specfic comments about 1 guy who he said (he) chatted to for 3 hours...he then called him "the punisher" in print and went on a long rant about how people should respect his fishing and only approach him at trade fairs etc.... i thought what did you expect?!?! ...he lost a bit if respect in my eyes when he wrote that.

On the other hand i think some of the Achivements of some anglers are quite amazing and dont get the rewards their efforts deserve. Terry Hearns name has been dragged up a few times. What Terry Hearn (and some others) have done especially early on in his Yately days and culminating in the capture of Mary was quite incredible. Casting this off as fish chasing ir simply being part if the circus does them a great disservice especially when its done in a way that makes the critic sound like he is saying its something he could do if he wanted but chooses not to. Sure. Fact is determination is part of big fish angling...most of the anglers on this web site i am sure have the technical level of skill and knowledge to capture very big fish on circuit waters. No doubt about that. After all we all know time is a great leveller in angling. Put in enough time and you will catch big fish. However do these critics also have the drive and determination to actually do it? ...ah! Now thats were it gets tricky doesnt it! ....we like to cast THAT aspect of angling aside as unimportant..thats just "fish chasing".. but arnt determination, self motivation and drive skills in themselves? ....i suspect some of the people who say they "choose" not to do it actually mean they are not able to do it as they might have the technical skill set but lack the motivational skills that would be needed.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The hardest bit of this is defining angling fame. There are those truly outstanding anglers who are head and shoulders above the rest and fame gravitates to them - the Terry Hearns, Terry Lampards and Ivan Marks of this world. Their achievements speak for themselves and, whilst they use their fame to their advantage, it's not their main driver. Conversely you have the celebrity anglers who are often no more than average ability but famed through TV coverage, and finally you have the wannabes who are again maybe good but hardly great anglers yet seek constant recognition through social media or the angling press (me,me, me...!). This last category is, to my mind, the most precarious in that there is a temptation to believe one's own hype - some have packed in well-paid jobs to seek fame and fortune - but a likelihood of losing the enjoyment of angling being a release from the pressures of work or excuse for relaxing, and it becoming a job.

From a personal point of view I have very occasionally been recognised by anglers on the river bank through my two roach books but have found it a positive thing. The last book I did on Ivan Marks and the Likely Lads was terrifically satisfying in that it was all about them and their adventures and I could keep out of it; what has struck me is how much they (especially Ivan) wanted to give back to angling rather than take from angling which seems the mantra of the newly sponsored big fish chaser.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Mark,

I have absolutely no problem with fellas like yourself who put the hard yards, the time and the research in and who earn their plaudits.

It's the instant fame blowhards who need weeding out, those and, as I mentioned in a previous thread, those whom the sport has already rewarded trying to cheat and abuse their positions still further.

There is, ironically, clear blue water between your position and those of a great many bandwagon jumpers. I honestly feel that all the guys on here can not only see that but easily appreciate it too.

Thanks a million for your works on the roach. Spent many hours poring over them. Next stop Chub? Here's hoping.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't know any famous anglers, is there such a thing? Mention a famous angler to the general public and they wouldn't have a clue who your talking about. They are only famous or well known among ourselves and even then probably only half us who bother to read the angling press etc.
So, whats the fuss about, some bloke catches some good fish, invents something new or just decides to write a lot about what he does. Is it such a big deal, why does anyone care, if they like what he does, fair enough, if they don't like it, don't read about it. OK, sometimes they are more bent on promoting something, well, everyone's got to earn a living.
I think its just another menial gripe, just another excuse to have a go at someone. Tiresome, what next, let me guess, carp anglers, nobodies,noddies, commercial anglers, where do I stop!.
Hears mine, people who always gripe about other anglers, get a life, try some fishing or just enjoy being alive.

Last edited: