Boilie mix ingredient - question

magicone

Reaction score
Been watching some of 'Thinking Tackle' videos - Season 4 show 6 where two UK Carp readers join Danny and Steve.

I watched Danny making his Boilies showing the reader of How to make.

I know the one ingredient is 'Mainline Polaris' with a egg white and I think 'Mainline cell activator'.

As a replacement using Supermarket shelves, what could be used in place of the 'cell activator'.

wanderer

Reaction score
I dont do boilies but i suspect some sort of yeast, bakers or brewers would do the job, you will have to consult our bait gurus.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You could forget the lot and make boillies cheap and easy.

Just take dog biscuits, mash them up in a blender, add eggs and your flavour.

Mix until you have a paste, roll into boillies and boil.

Leave them out to dry after cooking, then add some more flavour when bagging them up.

Dog biscuits have plenty of vitamins etc etc in them, so no need to add anything other than flavour. You could also leave the egg shell in the mix, it won't do any harm.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
You could use most things from a supermarket shelf, but if you have marmite, bovril or similar in your kitchen cupboard then give that a try.

The bad one

Reaction score
Marmite and bovril is based on the waste yeast left over from the brewing industry. As is CSL from the glucose making industry. No doubt Chris from Laguna will be a long shortly and give a fuller explanation but adding egg to boillies has a tendency to seal in the flavours.

Last edited:

Steve2020

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the latest "fashion" ingredient in the guise of cell activator is but I make my own using only 3 "main" ingredients plus a colour and a chosen flavour.
50 -50 semolina + soya flour 5 eggs for every 500gms of the flour semolina combined.
The protein/albumin in the eggs react with the starch from the semolina and flour to harden during the boiling process.
As you've mentioned 1 ingredient is egg white I can only presume that the activator is a starch heavy ingredient.
I'd definitely recommend making your own, there's no better feeling than catching fish on your own personalised bait, it also works out much cheaper.
I'd probably not enjoy doing a massive amount as it'd be Labour intensive but generally I only make a kilo here and there.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

When I first started making Boilies I'd always accurately measure out ingredients and take notes of smell, texture, cooking times etc. Once I'd got the Boilies to my prefered hardness,appearance, and got the smell right I'd note every detail or tweak that I'd made. I now have consist batches every time.

Steve2020

Reaction score
"Chosen flavour": this meaning such as Strawberry, Chilli, Sweetcorn and Pineapple etc.
Exactly, but I do like to use flavours from the kitchen, I'll use flavours such as garlic, chilli, cinnamon, cumin, coriander etc.
Although I must confess to occasionally buying mainline flavours.
I haven't noticed any significant gains from any flavours in particular, I catch regularly on plain Boilies without any flavour whatsoever (to us humans).
It obviously begs the question, why bother flavouring any of them, I guess it's for my benefit more than anything else, a confidence thing maybe?

laguna

Reaction score
Too many are hung up on 'flavours'! There is no scientific evidence that they work as well as people are led to believe.

Steve2020 has it right when he talks about kitchen flavours - these are the ones that are proven to work... I will also throw into the mix that; Real-food EXTRACTS are PROVEN to work even better!

I think we need to make the distinction... I will refer to them from now on as PAX (Powders and extracts!)

Might do a PAX™ feature when I get some time :)

The bad one

Reaction score
50 seconds to a minute if they contain egg and you want to skin them and have a soft centre.
Canon Balls then 4 to 5 minutes will mean you can blow holes in your mate's bivvey at 50 yards :D