Mealworm?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I buy dead dry mealworms to feed the garden birds - and have thought of using them as bait (mealworms not the garden birds) has anyone used mealworms as bait and if so any success

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yes, live ones for chub (usually freelined). Like many baits can be deadly on it's day...................

laguna

Reaction score
Not yet M'lud but I'm breeding some to try. Ive got a few thousand babies coming along nicely now feeding on polystyrene and a carrot for moisture.

I reckon they will be every bit as good as a maggot, if not better due to the absence of any ammonia?

trotter2

Reaction score
If there like waxworm they float, try them first lads ?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I used to Fish with my late Father in Law who was a Belgian. The main place we fished out there was an any method trout fishery and we mainly fished for species other than the trout. He always brought: mealworms, maggots, worms, and a selection of other baits. One of the fishery rules was no loose feed or groundbait. I never found mealworm to be particularly successful and the best bait was bread. Although it was against the rules I did loose feed a couple of times and all it did was bring on the trout. One particular day I threw in a couple of handfuls of sweetcorn and on gutting the trout found as much as I had chucked in in their stomachs. Mealworm do look good to us as a bait but in my experience don't perform as good as they look.

rayner

Reaction score
Apparently Mr google says live mealworms are available from Willys Worms for 16 quid a kilo.
Think I'll stick with casters.

rayner

Reaction score
Dang well do I have been chomped several times.

Sent from my 8055 using Tapatalk

I know nothing of mealworms so Googled, do mealworms bite.
The general consensus says they do have small mouth parts and are capable of biting but even if they do bite you will not feel it.
It's impossible for a bite from a mealworm to break the skin.

laguna

Reaction score
I know nothing of mealworms so Googled, do mealworms bite.
The general consensus says they do have small mouth parts and are capable of biting but even if they do bite you will not feel it.
It's impossible for a bite from a mealworm to break the skin.

I'd go along with that.
They can munch through hard and dry legumes given enough time, but they do not bite you.
What is scary though is when you pick up the pupa - they tense up and wriggle! :eek: :D