Bankside Rage !

tigernut

Reaction score
Bankside Rage !
As the title suggests and similar to road rage, I had the miss fortune to witness an incident yesterday between two anglers who were fishing close to my peg, not sure what started it all off, maybe it was the fact they both were trying to fish the same small piece of water !
Anyway it started off as verbal which led to extremely nasty verbal, gesturing and serious threats of violence and all with raised voices and each angler virtually nose to nose, if it wasn't for myself and another angler stepping in anything could have happened !
This is the first time I have ever seen this and I hope it was the last, you go fishing to be relaxed and get away from all the rubbish of normal day to day life, to be honest it really spoilt my day as my adrenelin was pumping and after I could just not relax again so I soon packed up and went home.
Has anybody else ever had anything like this happen with them or their friends or even witnessed it at first hand and if you did how did you handle it ?

Regards

Sorry meant to put in general forum !

Last edited:

wanderer

Reaction score
It happens a lot mate, it is one of the curses of modern carp angling, selfish actions, alchahol, crowded venues, trouble waiting to happen, best advice keep out of it, or put a fiver on the big guy.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A few years ago now I was fishing on the beach at Brighton. An odd looking bloke was fishing with his equally odd looking wife. They were in an unusually tall bivvy adorned with red stripes. The wife cast her line over his, with that he started shouting and picked up a stick. He started whacking her despite the baby in her arms. Someone called the police and a Bobby duly turned up.
He tried to calm the situation but was soon was under attack himself...
Then all of a sudden they stopped, all distracted by a crocodile running off with their string of sausages......

ciprinus

Reaction score
read a bit in carpoligy the other day about this, it happens a lot more than we think.
two anglers in adjoining pegs who both cast to a show, the same anglers both casting to an underwater feature or one just happens to make a comment that is completely misconstrued by the other.
the list is endless, it all boils down to the pig ignorant attitude adopted by todays anglers, no more the gentleman angler on these fair shores matey.

have you ever taken a stroll round the pool to stretch a creaky back and stopped off to enquire of a neighbor "caught much mate"? just to be glared at with a f##k off will ya look?

dann

Reaction score
I have seen it happen on the canal, there is one spot that is known to hold some decent fish due to a few features and overhanging vegetation and it always the first peg to be taken.

Unfortunately it seems some regulars think it is "their spot" and are not happy when others have the nerve to get up earlier than them to fish it.

One one occasion in particular, one of the "regulars" set up far too close to another angler and then got the hump because he still wasn't catching due to not being in "his" spot. He decided to pack up very noisily and then threw every bit of bait he had in the water to spoil the others angling.

It all got a bit nasty and I moved off down the canal rapidly, I had my boys with me and didn't want them watching that or listening to the language :mad:

tigernut

Reaction score
Dann
yes it is not something you would want the younger generation of anglers seeing or hearing, it wasn't pleasant for me to see to be fair, In my opinion one factor it seems is the closeness of pegs especially on these commercial carp puddles that sadly seem to be everywhere these days !

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I have seen it happen on the canal, there is one spot that is known to hold some decent fish due to a few features and overhanging vegetation and it always the first peg to be taken.

Unfortunately it seems some regulars think it is "their spot" and are not happy when others have the nerve to get up earlier than them to fish it.

One one occasion in particular, one of the "regulars" set up far too close to another angler and then got the hump because he still wasn't catching due to not being in "his" spot. He decided to pack up very noisily and then threw every bit of bait he had in the water to spoil the others angling.

It all got a bit nasty and I moved off down the canal rapidly, I had my boys with me and didn't want them watching that or listening to the language :mad:
Yes I have had that here on my local cut, I chose to fish a spot on a bend that was know to be good when 2 Muppets on motor scooters turned up and starred telling me to eff off as it was their own peg.
Did I move not on your Nellie they gave up and have not been seen since the water I have question has now being taken over and is a season ticket water now.

Sent from my 8055 using Tapatalk

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I know why I go fishing and to be honest the "getting away from it all" has a lot to do with it, to the point where my choice of venue and then choice of swim will be heavily influenced by the number of other anglers present.

My ideal scenario is to be fishing a stretch of water with one or two other anglers that I know well - and that's it. Ideally - I'd prefer not to be able to see another soul from my actual fishing position.

Anti-social? Possibly. However, I know what I'd prefer and I'm quite prepared to go the extra mile for that.

I can see this being more of a problem on lakes than rivers or canals, although those known "hot pegs" might always be a bone of contention.

I'm going to throw another thing in to the pot here - I think this is far more likely to occur on a day ticket water than on a club water. Etiquette is frequently non-existent on some day-ticket waters, people seem to think that once they've paid their money they can do as they please. The one club I belong to which has a few lakes has a very different atmosphere in terms of how anglers treat their fellow anglers; the scenario mentioned in terms of people asking about how you've got on is the exact opposite - it's getting the members to shut up and do some fishing that's a problem! :) But with that I've also often been asked by someone setting up a couple of pegs away - out of courtesy - where I'm casting to and if they were to cast to such-and-such a spot will that be ok? And inevitably it always is. As to punch ups - can't see it happening there.. so that's where you'll find me when the rivers are closed and I want to catch a tench or two.

robtherake

Reaction score
Usually I just let alone, but I've had altercations with a few guys: the type who fish your margin from the other side of the lake. Three ounce bombs whacking home just a few feet away can be a mite disturbing. :eek:

It's always the same excuse, "I've been baiting that spot for x,y or z days, mate..." but they don't seem to get the point that a lead on a man's noggin is likely to be fatal. Anyway, whatever happened to, "Bums...can't fish there now...I'll try somewhere else."

I have to be careful, because if I'm wound up enough to have a serious word with someone I'm also pretty close to seeing the red mist come down. It's only happened a few times through life - I'd prefer to walk away - but the result is always the same and I don't remember a thing about the actual event afterwards. The throbbing knuckles and bloodied would-be antagonist tell the story, however, plus I'm only 5' 7" in my stocking feet so it's the last thing they expect. Beware the mighty midget. :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm always frightend of being beaten up on the bank, luckily I have "The Bad Ones" number incase it comes on top, he ain't called "The Bad One" for nothing...he's propper :mad:.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I avoid trouble on the bank as best I can, as i am sure most others do, but there is always the Muppet.

If i get to a water and there are others fishing, then i find a swim I want to fish. If it's near another angler, I will ask where he is fishing, so i can fish away from them.

I have had a few run in's with anglers turning up, and then casting into my swim, it doesn't last long. I will ask them to stop, if they don't, I just cast and tangle their line's with my marker rod.

3 oz lead and braid sorts it out. I have only had to do this once, but what joy i got out of it, the guy was a complete Ar£ehole. He moved swims, but reported me to the club. The club didn't take any action as the guy is a known Pri*k. He got himself banned from the club a few years ago, caught using 3 rods and the rules state 2 rods only .

daniel121

Reaction score

About 10 years ago I remember this muppet turning up about 11 o'clock to a strech of water on the River Derwent. It's was winter I got up at the crack of dawn to get a decent days fishing as I don't live locally.

Anyway this Muppet turns up and says to me 'oh (in a school boy tone) I always fish this peg" I don't remember my response but it would of been friendly enough. Then I turn around a few minutes later the guys sat on his box with his head in his hands!!! I thought "oh ****! This guy must be a little unhinged" now lucky he went downstream and started being a idoit trying to spoil the day by chucking stones in and etc etc.

It wasn't helped by my lad (who's scared of nothing) yurping on upstream evert time he had a fish "great pegs these are dad" "you in again dad" "we'll have to get these pegs next week's they are rammed" :D I must admit having a giggle thanks to my lad but you just don't need it - do you?:)

terry m

Reaction score
Life is too short for all that bo11ox.

I go fishing to get away from people, not to lock horns with the local moron who thinks he owns the place.

This is one aspect that makes syndicates generally better than clubs.

tigernut

Reaction score
Life is too short for all that bo11ox.

I go fishing to get away from people, not to lock horns with the local moron who thinks he owns the place.

This is one aspect that makes syndicates generally better than clubs.

Totally agree Terry,
I go away for peace, solice, nature, enjoyment of the outdoors and some friendly banter with like minded adults.

Rage of any sort should stay away from the bankside so it stays enjoyable for all.

tom_moran

Reaction score
As do I, I'm lucky enough to have not encountered any bankside rage. If i did I'd just ignore it I think, right up to the point they got aggressive then I'd put em in the water

steve2

Reaction score
I have seen it and been on the receiving end of it. Unfortunately for carp anglers it as always involved carp anglers.

derwentbob

Reaction score
Yes, I have had aggro from carpers who think that buying the same season ticket that I do entitles them to 24 hour exclusive access to a particular spot. I have even had someone stand in front of me while I have been trying to fish and chucking a couple of kilos of boilies into the far bank with a tube thingy. I did suggest that it would be easier to walk round and just throw them four yards from the other side but that suggestion was met with foul mouthed abuse. When he returned later and told me to go forth and multiply as he was fishing that peg due to the fact that he had baited it I refused and stood my ground. Fortunately I have practised martial arts for several decades and when he went to punch me a simple slip to the side left him floundering in four feet of water. I helped him out of the water but he threw another punch so in he went again. This time he waded to the next peg and pesumably went home as I never saw him again.

lee_j

Reaction score
This is one of the many things I hate about modern carp fishing , I've seen it countless times on a local water, I think majority of these people have come straight into carp fishing without learning to fish first , it's all about getting a photo of a 30+ lber , this is why there's so many full carp set ups for sale on gumtree they seem to have a crack at it then sell up only for the next turd to buy the set up and the cycle starts all over again with another clueless tit gracing the banks with no intention of learning anything. Korda tv has killed carp fishing lets just hope they steer clear of the rivers.

Philip

Reaction score
I think I only fished within eye sight of another angler literally twice in the last year and even then I setup so I had an island blocking my view of them. I would find it very hard to fish again on crowded waters now (and by crowded I mean another angler within half a mile of me :) ) although I know for many people they wont have the option and have to fish the waters they have close to them.

I do recall many years ago fishing for Pike on a fairly well known Carp water in the South East. It was mid winter and hardly anyone was around. Right in the near margin was a nice fallen tree so I plonked my bait in by it and sat back to await events. A few minutes later this bloke stomps up to me and starts mouthing off about how “we” put in loads of time here and this is for “serious” anglers etc etc etc …and I really could not see what he was raving on about. Then I spied on the far side of the lake a tiny spec…looking closer it was a bivvy…suddenly I realized the bloke was fishing right across the lake to this fallen tree. It was really quite amazing as the tree was in fact far closer to the Car park than where he had set up and it was also on a main path round the lake so would have had people trudging by it endlessly. For the life of me I could not understand why he would cart all his kits all that way to then cast back to this margin. Apart from being selfish it was insane and to my mind bad angling. I cant remember what I said. I think I just moved on …there was like 20 more acres to fish so it was not worth the agro.