Do it Yourself

wanderer

Reaction score
Lets assume that you have limitless wealth and an eye for natural beauty, as with fauna and wildlife, i am giving you a free hand and 20,000 acres of rolling countryside with springs and rivers. Design a fish holding environment, maybe beyond your lifetime that would be your dream venue. Mine would be a chain of spring fed lakes fed by a stream , surrounded by wonderfull mature trees, with a sparkling river running close by. The lakes would each hold a handfull of carp and multitudes of the rest, the River Barbel, chub , trout, and all the other usual suspects. How deep would you make them, what would you plant, how about the design of your River, cmon design your own dream venue.

john step

Reaction score
I don't have to. You have just done it for me.....apart from the hand maidens who would fetch me my sarnies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daniel121

Reaction score
If there was a dislike button on this forum I think my post just may crash the forum :D

Right firstly I would make an indoor fishery, shock horror!!! ;) Now you've all finished spitting your coffee out thinking of some swimming pool or pond in as green house. Like the one up north

https://youtu.be/8wzXl3ssAaU

So just forget all that and think big, really big talking as 3 times the size of Wembley covered big. With indoor plants with sprinklers in the roof for the winter in the summer the roof can be removed.

There would be a "arena" style match lake seating around it for larger match finials like fisho or match this. There would be a tuition park with several smaller easier lakes for teaching or club/Open matches.

Then well as some anglers paradise style lakes with orimental fish cut in strange shape's. In here we would have orimental crucian lake, a orfe lake,ide lake, etc etc

Then the non native section where anglers can fish larger lakes for Cats, zander, ide carp etc

Outside we would have two spring fed large specimens lakes surrounded by trees, with limited people allowed on per day. One would have large bream and tench as well as slivers, with the other having large Carp Inc Koi.

Also we would have a stretch of the river Trent chose by, but I don't think the Trent needs reinventing so I'd leave it as it is :thumbs:

There's that's a few million blown :D

B

binka

On restless nights this is often the subject that I eventually manage to drift off to whilst thinking (fantasising) about.

Many years ago it was Linda Lusardi! :)

Despite my love of the river it would have to be a lake dug from scratch but in an already scenic and mature location, ideally wooded and small enough to be manageable but big enough to hold a few surprises and easily gain its own natural balance... Six or seven acres perhaps.

The depths, from shallow spawning grounds to deep winter retreats, would be well planned and purpose built rustic wooden stages that had been created prior to flooding (ideally from a feeder stream) with robust materials such as lengths of old telegraph poles for legs that were sympathetic to their surroundings would abound just above the lake surface at various interesting and well spread distances that had been heavily planted either side with reeds.

Planting of lily beds in the margins and shallows would complement the already matured bankside and an unobtrusive bark covered path would wind it's way in an un-uniformed manner through the bushes around the lake.

My lodge, based on a two storey, glass fronted log cabin design with open fire, would of course overlook it on a green rolling hillside.

Stock wise it would have all the traditional stillwater favourites... Roach, rudd, perch, tench and crucians along with a handful of mirrors and commons just so I could watch the V's cutting through the surface from my veranda whilst relaxing with a beer on a warm summers evening, I feel as though I would be cheating myself if I didn't chuck a few silver bream and gudgeon in too just for good measure.

I really need to win the lottery!

Edited to add: Sorry, I forgot the overgrown classic boathouse complete with wooden punt all tied up and ready to go :)

Last edited:

tom_moran

Reaction score
I think about this a lot! I'd have a large lake fed by a small stream, sort of split into two by a reasonable sized island in the middle leaving two 10ft gaps between the two sections of the lake. I'd have a big Scandinavian style wooden house on the island complete with all things manly. The island being only accessible by watercraft or maybe a drawbridge ?. One side of the island I would have at no more than 4 ft deep the other side would be varying depths of 4-10ft with a couple of deep holes at 20ft. I'd want one side of it completely covered by a forest of mixed evergreen trees right to the waters edge. I'd have a few wooden pegs constructed out of reclaimed solid wood such as telegraph poles and railway sleepers. I'd plant reed beds and lily beds in patches but none on the forest side. Fish wise I'd stock pretty much everything you would find in a UK canal or river as long as it would survive and be balanced. I would stock a big head of tench, and probably 10 10lb carp. Loads of perch but no pike.