Angling superstitions

flightliner

Reaction score
Anyone here have a superstition or ritual that they feel must be adhered to before wetting a line?.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Yes, but only down the Trent Valley. Prior to my first cast I always whisper ''Halloo Jack'', something I have done for many years out of respect for old JW Martin. But that's as far as it goes.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Might have a slash before wading out to mid river.

thecrow

Reaction score
When I used to fish sink and draw if possible I would always try to get my line touching a leaf where it entered the water, it came from the first time I did it I caught, only time it did though.

B

binka

Try not catch a fish on the first put in and get blighted by the Curse of the First Cast :eek:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
" Red "

I always like to wear something Red, usually socks, but it could be anything !!

At times I have been known to turn around and go home if I realise I'm not wearing any Red.

Bob

john step

Reaction score
Not really a superstition, but once i have arrived at my swim the first thing i always set up is a landing net. One mate always forgets to do this until it is too late.

Yes the net is an absolute first action rule....no exceptions.

The other thing, if using maggots worm etc to flick a few bits at the robin or chaffinch etc which is invariably there waiting to be fed....Always works, I catch more when this is done:eek:mg:

B

binka

The other thing, if using maggots worm etc to flick a few bits at the robin or chaffinch etc which is invariably there waiting to be fed....Always works, I catch more when this is done:eek:mg:

Funny you should mention that John, the first thing I do when worm fishing is to set a good handful free in long grass (much to the amusement and partial amazement of my regular fishing partner who will testify to such an act) although this is more of a conscience easer rather than superstition before I set about the rest with the chop scissors :eek:mg:

naxian62

Reaction score
Rub my hands in the bankside dirt/vegetation. Done it since I were a nipper.

robtherake

Reaction score
My youngest daughter (at age six) used to sing a little ditty, "Fishy, fishy come to me...." There were several verses and believe it or not it almost always worked. I've tried it myself in desperation once or twice, but it's apparently less effective if you're a self-conscious 50 something singing sotto voce so's no-one twigs that you're a loony.:)

thecrow

Reaction score
A friend and myself used to have what we called our "run stick" it was a stick that my friend had whittled on while waiting for a run (we were Pike fishing) the first time my friend shook it at the lake and asked for a run from the gods of angling I had a run which turned out to be a jack of around 5lbs, after that whenever things were slow the stick was brought out and shaken at the water, it worked on other occasions but was lost when someone's dog decided it looked good enough to eat, my friend whittled another but it was never the same.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not before I start fishing but typically just after lunch when I take a little sip from my hip flask then I'll drop a splash in the river as a "toast to the river gods"

I have done this for many years and it is amazing how often that first cast after lunch can reward you with a decent brownie . . . .