''A fascination for weirpools''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Since my very earliest memories, weirpools have held a special magic for me, and has taken me on a journey from one end of the country to the other. I personally find them some of the most captivating areas. Sure some of them can be difficult, I know of ''one'' as outlined on a previous thread, but by and large have found most to be highly productive once having established the whereabouts of snags and bottom contours. Yes, it's taken time but the rewards can surpass your wildest dreams.

Do you avoid them, or like me grab every opportunity?

theartist

Reaction score
I used to love fishing them on the Thames back in the day. Using one of those pins with the ball on the end inserted into the top of my float so that I could see it in the froth. Ledgering was a nightmare as it was so snaggy but spinning was always pike heaven as they were everywhere.

Now I prefer the small more intimate weirs you get on smaller rivers and the natural rock ones you get on proper grayling streams in the hills. Rock hopping magic.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I love weirpool fishing but, IMO, no two weirpools are the same and any given weirpool is constantly changing anyway. The only way to read a weirpool is by fishing it and your lead may well behave differently from session to session........

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I love weirpool fishing but, IMO, no two weirpools are the same and any given weirpool is constantly changing anyway. The only way to read a weirpool is by fishing it and your lead may well behave differently from session to session........

What you say is true Jerry, but it's the ever changing features that make them addictive to me. They rarely get stale, or totally predictable, plus the ever changing fish population, surprises if you will.

barbelboi

Reaction score
It's the same for me Derek, I didn't explain myself too well. I also enjoy the unpredictability of the weirpools, which is probably why I generally prefer fishing running water to still.....

lambert1

Reaction score
We have one on our club waters which has been good to me, but not being very sociable I tend to avoid it in summer because it is near a public footpath and you can arrive to find a couple having a picnic on a rug (even though it is private property the landlords are very tolerant!) or there are kids dogs etc and there is too much disturbance. I tend to go there towards the end of a session when it is almost dark and have had some good Chub and Brown Trout. It has some very big snags, but you soon learn to navigate those and it is constantly changing. I suspect there are some real specimens lurking there. If I could fish it undisturbed it would be heaven but that is an unrealistic and possibly a little selfish outlook:D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I love weir pool fishing; anything from the tiniest sluice on my local Hampshire Avon up to some of the very large weirs on the Thames . . . . .

There is a fascination that is enhanced by the speed of the water and the constantly changing conditions that I think that makes them such a magnet for me.

Many years ago I used to have a Thames Weir licence and would visit the Hampton court weir a lot in those days.

B

binka

I love weir pool fishing; anything from the tiniest sluice on my local Hampshire Avon up to some of the very large weirs on the Thames . . . . .

There is a fascination that is enhanced by the speed of the water and the constantly changing conditions that I think that makes them such a magnet for me.

Many years ago I used to have a Thames Weir licence and would visit the Hampton court weir a lot in those days.

That pretty much sums up my sentiments too Peter, anything from big river weir pools which hold so much character in terms of changing depths and the number of species, right down to something like this that simply feeds through a series of local lakes...

They're all magnets for me and in the latter instance completely ignored by everyone else .

Result! :)

john step

Reaction score
right down to something like this that simply feeds through a series of local lakes...

They're all magnets for me and in the latter instance completely ignored by everyone else .

Result! :)[/QUOTE]

BINKA -That photo almost mirrors a place I have fished this winter. I have had many roach in the flow where everywhere else was a real struggle. Its a lake and chub even manage to spawn in the in- flow.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Weirpools are a magnet for me, I have no idea why other than its a piece of river that behaves in a totally different manner to other parts of a river, somewhere where the river gains even more life. There is nothing that lives in a river that wont be found in a weirpool at some time or another, perhaps its that feature that draws me to them.

terry m

Reaction score
My favourite place to fish as a kid was the Harnham Old Mill on the Nadder in Salisbury. It was very kind to me and I always did well.

From those days on I have loved weir pool fishing, and can sometimes be spied on one of the Ibsley Weirs.

simon dunbar

Reaction score
I love weirpools , have fished a few on the Dorset Stour and Hampshire Avon, always good for pike , chub and perch. On the Stour some of my favourite weirpools have changed so much over the years with each flood ,that what were great swims are now completely different .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score