shimano st4000 mini bait runner help

nova12

Reaction score
I've recently bought a shimano st 4000 bait runner and was wondering if it will be ok to put it on a 12foot carp rod chucking 2.5oz leads out or will it damage the reel.
I originally bought it for feeder work but not had any use for it yet as I like my daiwa reel.
I usually put a carp rod in the margine or leave it out while I fish the feeder any help much appreciated.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chuckin' 'em out won't damage it and if it's not got enough cranking power to bring them back in i'd bin it. A normal 4000 size reel will wind those weights back no prob's so I don't see why your shimmys won't.
How big's the daiwa reel your using?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Diawa over shimano's every day for me, but the reel should do the work your asking of it. If it doesn't, shows how poor shimano have got, as my Diawa 4000 have done this kind of work for years.

nova12

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I originally bought it for the feeder rod for light feeder work pellet cone with lead system etc. With 1oz lead but my carp real broken for my caro rod and I was going to use the shimano st if it is suitible I'm hoping to get 15 to 19lb carp on it on the carp rod etc.
My feeder reel I use is the daiwa ninja 4000 just a feeder reel

rayner

Reaction score
I wouldn't class a 4000 size reel as mini.
Mini bait runners come around 2500 a 4000 reel is far bigger and I would imagine stronger.