''Do you really need all that tackle''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Are anglers like Magpies, we seem to amass more tackle than is really necessary. I know I have been guilty of this as Mrs G constantly reminds me, my reply to her is one pinched from Sir Robert Bruce Lockhart's book, ''My rod my comfort''.

Are you still searching for the ''ultimate rod or reel''?

B

binka

My standard reply is that I don't have much gear, it's just well spread out :wh

That's probably not too far from the truth by comparison to some but I still have to concede that I don't really NEED a half of it, the other half being a mix of objects of desire and plain indulgence.

It doesn't detract from the pleasure of using it all though, I simply have no conscience :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
we seem to amass more tackle than is really necessary

Heresy!

I have divorced wives for less than this . . . . .

I might not have a different rod for every day of the year, but it would be a close run thing to count them . . . . .

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 ----------

"we seem to amass more tackle than is really necessary"

I have just re-read this and now I think I have to go and lie down in a darkened room to recover . . . . .

In the words of Oates: I may be gone for some time . . . . .

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Many years ago I had a spell where i'd use a 13ft Silstar match rod and two reels for everything. I'd use it for trotting, spinning, legering etc, even used it in the sea...many times!
I now have more rods than I actually need but I like having them and I try to use them all at least once at some point during the course of a year. It's just nice to have a choice of tackle to go at, as the old saying goes "a change is as good as a rest".
I have just sold quite a few reels and rods and am still in the process of thinning them down.

Next rod for the chop will be a Daiwa Tournament Amorphous (not amorphous whisker) Tommy Pickering 13ft 2inch Stick float Supreme, in as new fettle. The bottom 2inches of the corks are removeable to make for easier handling whilst passing the rod across your front etc....any one interested in it make me an offer :).

Keith M

Reaction score
I have dozens of different rods a couple of which I have never even used but each and every one of them has its use in certain situations LOL.

Each Birthday and Xmas my son and daughter buy me gift tokens from my local tackle shop so I am obliged to buy more tackle even if I don't really need it; aren't I? LOL

Yes most of us do tend buy more rods and reels than we really need but it's hard to resist that new rod or reel that feels and looks so good and is on the rack or shelf crying "Buy Me" "Buy Me" LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Of course we collect too much tackle. MUCH MUCH better than collecting stamps or matchbox tops though innit:wh

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
7548e908dc0c37d8993b92dea31b6dfa.jpg

terry m

Reaction score
I certainly have too much tackle, but one day, just one day I may need that rod, reel, insert other item....

Mt problem is not that I am a serial tackle purchaser (although I do buy the odd thing here and there), I simply do not throw anything away.

Hence my pool of regularly used kit remains the same, but my rarely used gear seems to grow inexorably.

rayner

Reaction score
I still have every rod or reel I have ever owned apart from one reel that escaped into the Tidal Trent. Of course I've lost a good number of floats but still have floats going back years on my shelves. I also have loads of stuff that was rubbish on my shelves, that stays till I go.
My tackle is all kept in MY tackle room that no one goes in without an invite. My wife says it needs cleaning.
I even have a kettle in there and a small sink, my wife has threatened to have me sectioned.
When she said this I just bolted the door and looked at my hooks.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek,

It's not that I have too much fishing tackle, it's just that I don't have enough room for it !!

I have never sold or given away anything when it comes to fishing tackle, you know when you might need it ?

Bob

robtherake

Reaction score
Weird; I determined recently that I had more than enough of everything, then popped into the local tackle shop to chew the fat with a helpful fella who works there and put my name on a second-hand Okuma spodding reel that had only just come in. How easily I was swayed says it all. :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
I managed to have a really big clear out from the garage to fleabay prior to our house move last July. I now only have 23 rods.......................

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do hope that nobody has been encouraging you :wh

:D

Mmm...come to think of it Steve, you've had a hand in me spending a wedge or two in recent weeks :eek:mg: seriously good stuff though ;) :D.

seth49

Reaction score
The first thing I did when my son moved out, was get rid of his bed and move all my tackle into his room.
No one else goes in there I do any cleaning that needs doing,

Still have the first rod I ever bought, and nearly every one since.
Hate to part with anything. I did sort my grandson with some tackle for his eighth birthday.

If he really takes to fishing he will get the lot when I go.

steve2

Reaction score
The simple answers is no, but I still get tempted by Ebay bidding. Ended up with 2 spiltcane fly rods because no one else bid. I only go fly fishing a couple of times a year and I have already got 4 carbon rods for that.

trotter2

Reaction score
I must admit I have got rid off a load of gear, stuff what has sat in the same corner off the room never to be used again.
Trouble is you buy new stuff, think its the bees knees for a few months then realise its no better and in some cases not as good as the stuff you have used for years
Its very easy to be tempted and invent some excuse for another rod or reel LOL. :confused:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I had to have a clear out the other year, far to much gear.

My 3 sons have all their own gear, but I let them have first pick of anything they wanted.

I gave a lad who is a friend of the family, some gear as he was getting into fishing, the rest got sold off.

I am now down to 46 rods and reels, 7 bivvies, 6 brolly's, 4 rod bags, countless holdalls, 5 chairs, 4 landing nets and a partridge in a pear tree. :D just joking.

I have just got the right amount now, the new rod and reel i got the other day replaced a rod i broke, and the reel, well it just went with the rod :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
Always looking for something better. However, I'm well aware that new, or at least new to me, doesn't necessarily mean better. Just to be on the safe side, you've got to keep the old stuff until the newer stuff has proved its worth.