feeder arm or bank stick?

nova12

Reaction score
What are people's preferences when it comes to the feeder rod. I've aalways used a bank stick for it with my chair but looking into a feeder arm what do people think of these as some people say they hinder them?
Are there ones you can get to fit a chair or only just boxes?
Any help much appreciated

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've only ever used a feeder arm once, that was on my m8's korum chair, everytime I moved a muscle the rod tip would bounce...the one time was enough for me. I prefer to use banksticks. Even when fishing off a stage I use banksticks (long ones if the water's deep next to the stageing).

greenie62

Reaction score
I use the Middy StarGrip system middytackle.com - on my chair - they also make a Universal system to fit Box systems as well - and was initially pleased with it. Biggest problems tend to be:
- Butt rest position too close to hips / jacket and hinders movement,
- Feeder arm angle not variable enough - either too high/too low,
- Periscope feeder arm can twist dropping rod-tip in water,
- Need to sit rigidly still in chair else tip bounces around everywhere!

These tend to be common problems irrespective of make and model - they don't tend to happen with separate bank sticks - however the feeder arm system can be used from platforms over the water where there's nowhere to stick your sticks!:cool:

Try them out and see if it annoys you as much as it annoys me on occassions - but I still use it rather than bank sticks or sometimes as well as to space the butt rest away if wearing the big jacket!
Tight Lines!

caelan

Reaction score
hi I use a korum feeder arm on my chair yes it can snag your clothing and it moves when u move but its the long pull rounds I am waiting for big thames
slabs I used it on the severn for barbell as well no problems hope this helps

seth49

Reaction score
I have the korum feeder arm that has two stabiliser legs on it.
These are a lot better you don't get any extra movement on the tip, from your movements, fits on my korum chair a treat.

nova12

Reaction score
Just what u thought I'll stick with bank sticks lol cheers save me money

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to use the Korum Feeder Arm with the stabilizer legs but became very frustrated with the movement that happens any time you move on the chair.

So, I typically opt for bank sticks these days except when using my Preston seat box in which case everything hangs off of that, feeder arms, keepnet arms, side trays etc. etc. etc.

rayner

Reaction score
Feeder arm, love it. Fastens to the leg of my box in seconds and never moves.
No messing with bank sticks anymore for me.

sumtime

Reaction score
Like Mike, I too use the Stargrip, ideal when you're struggling to get a rod rest in hard ground. They're cheap enough too.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Bank stick and the butt goes on the seat between my legs.

If on a platform don't need long rod rests just use the matrix stage stands, again, one bankstick for the rod, rod butt on the seat.

robtherake

Reaction score
Quite apart from the fact that the tip moves every time you scratch your bum, I always find that it's hard to position the reel without fouling the arm. They have their uses but on balance I much prefer the flexibility of a bankstick set up.

For stony and rock-hard banks - where it's hard to get a bankstick in - I got around this by carrying an old-fashioned drill (a barn drill or gimlet?) which is very probably an antique. It's a larger version of this gadget and can be used to make holes in wooden staging as well as the ground.

http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8850/17742393894_fd64814f72_m.jpg

nova12

Reaction score
I've seen the stage stands might get one screw straight onto wood then and just chop a bank stick down to about 4 inches

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I've seen the stage stands might get one screw straight onto wood then and just chop a bank stick down to about 4 inches

You can buy banksticks to go with the stage stands, most are stainless steel,but cutting one down is cheaper.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Bank sticks every time. Although I mainly fish running water when fishing stills it's easy to plant one in the water if the bank's too hard with the business end on a bucket, or similar............
sprr_zpslqotj5vr.jpg

B

binka

The only ever feeder arm I've bought is still hanging in the garage unused after two or three years, it seemed like a good idea at the time :eek:mg:

I did make my own for a particular chair which I have used, it's solid and doesn't move but there's always that problem that most have mentioned of movement if I have to do anything other than blink whilst sitting there.

Bank sticks every time for me, I've got plenty including some of those long Dinsmores ones that aren't expensive and extend from around four to eight feet and come in really useful especially when fishing off of staging :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bank sticks every time for me, I've got plenty including some of those long Dinsmores ones that aren't expensive and extend from around four to eight feet and come in really useful especially when fishing off of staging :)

I have some of those dinsmore ones myself. The longer one's I have are thin so you need to watch you don't bend 'em, I think they're calles spiral points.
The other thicker more heavier duty dinsmores I have are called powerdrive.
Those long ones have come in handy many times and as you say Steve they're cheap compared to other brands.

dannyboy1

Reaction score
Banks sticks on naturals, seat box attachments on man-made waters

Sent from my HP 8 G2 using Tapatalk

bracket

Reaction score
I use both. I have an extending feeder arm, which has a single location on my OnBox. I use this, set up horizontally, in conjunction with an adjustable bankstick, that has a small length of padded angle iron screwed in, to support the feeder rest at the business end. I also have a completely adjustable extending feeder arm, that has two location points on my OnBox, and is rock solid. These I use on still waters. For the rivers I use two conventional 6ft extending banksticks, as the rod is up in the air and I tend, mostly, to stand when fishing the feeder. I don't have any problem with either setup. Pete.

Last edited: