anybody recommend a good small float reel

nova12

Reaction score
Anybody recommend a small float reel 2500 or 3000 is this good float reel size?
I'm currently using a shimano hyperloop 2500 but now I feel the need to step it up a notch as I've upgraded all my rods now.
Any help much appreciated.
I will be after crusions,tench,roach,rudd and small carp to 5lb ish

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like the shimano stradic's, front or rear drag are equally as good imo, just down to personal preferance.

nova12

Reaction score
Nice but looking for something around £40 £50 pound mark

robtherake

Reaction score
A vote for the Shimano Exage 2500 here. Had mine 10 years, I guess, and still runs like new. It's been used with lines up to 10lb for margin carp and as low as 3lb for roach fishing and with every job from method feeder to pellet wagglery and does a fine job of them all. You'd think the small size would make it a little undergunned for anything more than light work, but I've never found it wanting.

In all honesty, though, my fave float fishing reel is a Shimano Power Aero HS (similar to the Supermatch), which is 90s vintage and still looks and works like it just came out of the box.

Keith M

Reaction score
What about a Drennan FD3000 or FD4000 front drag reels? both of which come with three different capacity shallow spools.

I use the FD4000 version both for waggler fishing and for light feeder work and have my 3 spools loaded with 3lb, 4lb & 5lb lines but if you only wanted to use it for light float fishing with 2, 3 & 4lb lines then the FD3000 might be slightly better for you.

See link < Drennan International reels >

I have caught plenty of Roach, Rudd, Tench and small 5 to 7lb Carp on this reel and even the odd Barbel on it without any problems whatsoever, however if I am deliberately aiming to hook 10lb plus Carp on the waggler then I will tend to use my Shimano Stradic (or even my centrepin)

The Drennan FD4000 reel with a small Carp caught with it using a light waggler and 3lb line setup.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Another vote for the Drennan series 7 float reel. Smashing little reel with plenty of spare spools for differing line ratings.

naxian62

Reaction score
Yep. Another vote for the Drennan Series 7. I have both, the float and the feeder, love 'em.

nova12

Reaction score
I'll go with the drennan then £30 at my local tackle shop plus 2 spare spools,how much 6lb line can they hold? They go well with a maver abyss 11 foot float rod?

nova12

Reaction score
I have the daiwa ninja 4000 for my feeder work cracking reel for 45.00 want something lighter for float as they arnt the lightest reels

greenie62

Reaction score
I'll go with the drennan then £30 at my local tackle shop plus 2 spare spools,how much 6lb line can they hold? They go well with a maver abyss 11 foot float rod?

I use my Drennan 40 with my Maver AbyssX 11' Float rod on still waters and with an Abu506mkII on rivers - suits both fine.

robertroach

Reaction score
Another vote from me for the Shimano Exage 3000 series. I love the rear "fighting" drag and I can't fault it in any way. It's about 50 notes.

Keith M

Reaction score

The 3 spools on the Drennan FD4000 take approx 100 metres of lines between 4lb and 10lb max (see link below) although it is also fine to use with lower breaking strains and I often use mine with 3lb main line when I'm fishing a waggler.

http://drennantackle.com/viewProductFrame.php?id=550&view=A1S#

I don't think there's very much (if any) difference between the FD3000 and FD4000 reels other than the FD3000 comes with a slightly lower capacity spool range for lower breaking strain lines.

I haven't used the other Drennan reels (series 7 & Red Range) but I suspect their float/feeder reels are probably fairly similar.

Keith

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
I noticed on a shimano stradic the other day there is so switch so you cant wind backwards. I regard this as an important feature on a reel.
Just thought I would mention it. I know the drag is impressive on a shimano and some people may not think this is nesesary. But It also prevents you backwinding a float down stream.
Is this the case with other Shimanos like the Exage?

robtherake

Reaction score
I noticed on a shimano stradic the other day there is so switch so you cant wind backwards. I regard this as an important feature on a reel.
Just thought I would mention it. I know the drag is impressive on a shimano and some people may not think this is nesesary. But It also prevents you backwinding a float down stream.

There's an anti-reverse switch on my Exage 2500FD, but it's the mark 1 model.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Are you sure it was a stradic Trotter? Both my rear drag and front drag stradics have anti reverse swithches....old and new models.