new reel problems

nova12

Reaction score
Today I bought a new reel daiwa sweep fire 3000 for my float fishing. while I was spooling It up i realised the line was going on more to the top of the spool than the bottom .
I did some research and says take a washer off or put another on I tried this and it's still the exact same?
The line has gone on nice and I think it will help the line come off better when casting etc.?
What are your views on this will it hinder me in anyway?
Anybody else ever had this as it's my first time it's happend any help much appreciated

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You want the line to be the same on the whole of the spool, nice and even.

It's not going to help your casting if there's more line at the top of the spool, and i would say it could cause problems later on.

I would take the line off and start again. Sounds like you need another washer on if the line is spooling more at the top.

rayner

Reaction score
You want the line to be the same on the whole of the spool, nice and even.

It's not going to help your casting if there's more line at the top of the spool, and i would say it could cause problems later on.

I would take the line off and start again. Sounds like you need another washer on if the line is spooling more at the top.

That's right the spool is too low, I reckon a Diawa should come with the correct packing for the spool.
Perhaps try a felt washer it may lift it enough.

nova12

Reaction score
I've just put a washer on top of the other washer at the base and it's spooled up abit better but still a slight dome shape towards the top but not as bad at all think I can live with it now.
There are no more washers in the box so I guess this is how it should be

greenie62

Reaction score
Get yourself a spare washer asap for when you lose one! I've had this happen on big Shimanos - also the spare spool took less washers! :eek::eek:mg:

nova12

Reaction score
I've also known this to happen on shimanos I dot get why it happens ?
It only a float reel so not chucking far but still should be right when you buy them never has this from daiwa before

ken more

Reaction score
Where on the reels are everybody adding these washers to ? Are they put on or taken off, behind the spool? I cannot think of any reel that i have put line on that needs this:confused: Help needed:)

Ta

Meant to say that i had one of these reels and thought they were quite good

Last edited:

nova12

Reaction score
Take the spool off and put them at the base of the shaft if more line on the top of the spool add washers to lift the spool up if more line on the bottom take washers off so line goes higher that's what I've kind of figured out anyway

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Take the spool off and put them at the base of the shaft if more line on the top of the spool add washers to lift the spool up if more line on the bottom take washers off so line goes higher that's what I've kind of figured out anyway

I think I would (and still would) have just taken the reel back...and got a shimano ;).

trotter2

Reaction score
Personally I think that's a bit ridicules on a new reel, is this a common problem?

Think I would be taking it back ASAP

tom_moran

Reaction score
My daiwa black widow spooled up ever so slightly towards the top and I've not had a problem using it, tbh it casts very well

terry m

Reaction score
This is poor quality control regardless of the manufacturer.

The reel should spool up evenly out of the box, what is the point of buying a new reel if you have to ar5e about with shims and washers when you start using it?

As one or two other have said, go switch it out for a Shimano!! ;)

ravey

Reaction score
I believe that it's meant to taper up towards the lip of the spool. Daiwa introuced it as their 'ABS' anti-backlash system on the 2500iA and 3000iA top-of-the-range models around the very late 1990s IIRC, and it has been used by Daiwa since, although individual models have varied over time.

Shimano supplied their early Stradics (at least A and B front drag models) with washers that could be fitted (as already mentioned by another poster) to provide options from the 'traditional' slope down towards the spool lip, level, and the slope up towars the spool lip.

I actually prefer te ABS line lay, and think that it is an improvement, whether for float or feeder methods.

Hope this helps shed some light on the issue.

tom_moran

Reaction score
I believe that it's meant to taper up towards the lip of the spool. Daiwa introuced it as their 'ABS' anti-backlash system on the 2500iA and 3000iA top-of-the-range models around the very late 1990s IIRC, and it has been used by Daiwa since, although individual models have varied over time.

Shimano supplied their early Stradics (at least A and B front drag models) with washers that could be fitted (as already mentioned by another poster) to provide options from the 'traditional' slope down towards the spool lip, level, and the slope up towars the spool lip.

I actually prefer te ABS line lay, and think that it is an improvement, whether for float or feeder methods.

Hope this helps shed some light on the issue.
I have to agree! like I said above, I've always been told that line line should be perfectly flat but using this new daiwa has been flawless and it casts better than any other reel I've used. I won't be shimming it to change it.

nova12

Reaction score
So you think it casts better with more line at the top then?
I dot no weather to take it back or not until I try it out it may be ok?as it is only a float reel for chucking 20 30 yards

lee_j

Reaction score
This is quite common these days my daiwa entoh's came like this a mate had the same problem with a new set of daiwa reels , I found there wasn't enough washers supplied to level up the line lay also and had to dig my shimano bio master boxes out for the extra washers , it might not make much of a difference for short range apart from it looking odd but as already said new reels should be coming out of the box ready to go with extra washers for the option of a tapered line lay , you'll probably get some extra washers off eBay for peanuts pal if you've not got any old boxes lying about.

rayner

Reaction score
I would think if a spool is overloaded toward the top it would cause problems, loading toward the bottom would be better but still not right to my mind.
I'm old school and would always want line to be even on the spool, anything that doesn't look right to me would drive me crackers.