brolly recommendations

mattyo

Reaction score
looking to get a brolly to help with the British summer

I manly day fish on lakes and a bit of river so just looking for some shelter from the rain and wind for me and my kit.

john step

Reaction score
looking to get a brolly to help with the British summer

I manly day fish on lakes and a bit of river so just looking for some shelter from the rain and wind for me and my kit.

I have paid too much money for brollies. They turn inside out and break just a quickly as a bog standard cheap one.

rayner

Reaction score
I have a 50" Nubrollie that I bought around 1985 it's as good as new, very strong with a green reinforced cover that's almost rip proof.
If these are available now I don't know but worth checking.
I've had a look and they are still out there, the colour looks darker than my one but have a look.
The cover on mine is a grass green colour with fibres visible in the fabric on the underside.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I have a 50" Nubrollie that I bought around 1985 it's as good as new, very strong with a green reinforced cover that's almost rip proof.
If these are available now I don't know but worth checking.
I've had a look and they are still out there, the colour looks darker than my one but have a look.
The cover on mine is a grass green colour with fibres visible in the fabric on the underside.

Rayner, thats very interesting. The latest brolly disaster was in fact a Nubrollie. I feel that the product quality must have deteriorated since your 1985 model?
I chose one because it was advertised as lightweight and ideal for carrying whilst roving .
The arms had no grommet on the ends and within a few uses the arms wore through the mesh holders at the edge of the canopy. I had to improvise to repair them.
In a wind then thing was so flimsy it easily turned inside out and when pushed back the right way I found the fibre arms twisted in a spiral shape and no amount of effort will make them line up again.

In short a load of rubbish. I have now reverted to re-proofing an old 45 incher from "Bent nets of Sheffield". I wasted about £47.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I have a Matrix ' Space Brolly ' x 125cm....

This comes in its own carry bag except it doesn't have any form of carry strap / handle !!

I can only say it seems to do the job, BUT I only use it in extreme conditions such as VERY heavy rain and NOT when the wind if blowing a gale. In other words its a ' last resort ' form of protection.
Generally speaking, I find present day brolly's very flimsy and whilst weight is very important, manufacturers seem to have gone OTT and taken away some of the rigidity so necessary to keep the thing from turning inside out etc etc.

This particular model will tilt, but again it's not a quality mechanism IMHO....

It's okay, but as I'm not au fait with ALL makes it's probably worth a look....

ps If, in your search you find something that's really ' the dogs cahoonas ' then please let me know !!!

pps If anyone can explain how the two material ties ( to secure the ' folds ' of the brolly ) when closing it down after use, actually work, I would love to hear from them.......I don't believe I have ever managed to get it back to the original shape at delivery !!

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have two brollies, a Weavelock, very strong, but heavy. Had it for years and has never let me down.

Just before christmas i bought a New Korum Brolly, not cheap. it has a couple of pegging points, which is good in the wind, and has carbon rather than metal rips. I will add that this brolly isn't light to carry either.

I bought the Korum because one of the clubs i am in, do not allow night fishing on one of its waters, and oval brollies, (those with sides) are banned, along with bivvies. This is because anglers will try and fish at night with such a brolly, and claim they have just got to the water. Mad, as i know anglers who will use a normal brolly, or no brolly at all. I also got the brolly as one of my sons now has a permit for the lake, and only has an oval brolly and bivvy.

The weave lock must be all of 30 years old, I am not sure if they are made anymore, as material's have come a long way over the years. Best brolly i have ever had. I will let you know about the Korum in time.

I have used the Korum a couple of times, the pegging points are a plus, and it did the job it was bought for, but only time will tell just how good it is, or isn't.

Light weight brollies for me are a No, No, most leak, blow inside out, or Rip.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would never spen a lot on a brolly, as John says they all break just as easy. I have a leade 50 inch brolly and i've had it for about 9yrs and it's till ok. I think you can pick them up brand new for 25 notes. It is metal but not heavy compared to others i've seen.

Keith M

Reaction score
I've had my 50 inch Wavelock (or Weavelock) for many years. It may be heavier than most of the other brollies but it is much stronger plus it wraps around you more giving a little more protection from the wind and rain.

I do own a lighter 45 inch brollie too but I doubt if it will last as long as the Wavelock (or Weavelock).
I don't know whether they still make the heavier Wavelock nowerdays.

Keith

robtherake

Reaction score
I got a lightweight 45" brolly from a boot sale for...not very much. :) It has fibreglass (carbon?) ribs and so far seems to be a sturdy little thing, although it has to be said that it doesn't cover much. (I remember 36" brollies in the time when they were all made out of green canvas; how the hell did anyone get everything under one of those?) I'd say 50" is a minimum if you want to sit comfortably and dry. The old-style wavelock brollies were damn near indestructible if you can get hold of one.

The bad one

Reaction score
I've got 3 brollies, a Wavelock (50 in) to dammed heavy, only gets used if I'm fishing near the car on a stillwater day sessions. A Daiwa 60 inch which take an overwrap for night sessions. Still to heavy to lug about. And a keenet 45 in I found on a reservoir that had broke at the plastic universal joint and left by the previous owner, it was brand new!
Not a problem for a man with my immense talent for fixing things.
Took the cover off and fitted it to a set of 45 ribs and pole I had in the shed. It's the go to brolly as it light very durable and can be lugged down the river to the far off swims.
Had that brolly now for about 8 years and it's still going strong even after the battering it got 3 weekends ago in a 60 mph gale.

Nephew broke his expensive Korum brolly in that gale. But he wised up a bit as he's got older... Err Uncle Phil any chance you can fix it for me? Bu$$er, I though I was on for another buck shee brolly.
My advice don't pay to much for a brolly 25 rips is well enough.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
After reading other reply's I think my brolly may well be a Weavelock.
Even the name Weavelock suggests it holds fibres in the fabric as I said it's heavy and others say the same so I perhaps have the name wrong.
The only part of my one that's worn is at the end of the ribs that was my fault through poor use.
My wife repaired it with some heavy duty plastic fabric use for lorry sheeting.
Sorry for misleading you with the name.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is the brolly i've had for the best part of 10yrs .....

CAMOFLAGE Leeda Quality Umbrella ONLY ?44-99

I didn't get it because it's camo, a friend of mine got a couple cheap and gave one to me. The colour is good though and it does blend in with the surroundings more than a plain green one.
Here's a plain green one which willbe the one I get when mine kicks the bucket....

Leeda Price Buster 50inch Umbrella

rayner

Reaction score
Both links you've put up tigger are a darker green than my one, mines more of a grass colour.

sumtime

Reaction score
I've had my Waterline Fibrelite for years, it's never blown inside out when a wind has picked up, never had a problem with it, excellent brolly.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
While it's not the answer to the original question, I can recommend a decent quality poncho for when you're roving. It'll cover the angler and go right over a standard low chair. With your gear tucked underneath you remain completely dry - if a little exposed - until the shower stops. Only recommended for impromptu use on showery days.

B

binka

While it's not the answer to the original question, I can recommend a decent quality poncho for when you're roving. It'll cover the angler and go right over a standard low chair. With your gear tucked underneath you remain completely dry - if a little exposed - until the shower stops. Only recommended for impromptu use on showery days.

I'm very much with this idea, something I've looked into a couple of times but never gotten around to buying.

Failing that, there's always the brolly that follows you everywhere...

:eek:mg: