Fred Buller - Angling’s Great Researcher

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Fred Buller - Angling’s Great Researcher

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_events/headlines/18266-fred-buller-angling’s-great-researcher.html

This excellent article from Rod sturdy first appeared in Waterlog Magazine and has been reproduced with kind permission from Jon Ward-Allen, MD, Medlar Press

NzVhY2YxMDkyZjVjOThmYjE1ZDEwNTBlMDkzZGIwY2Pm2l1Nm_zDSTi9hbxSJBVwaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vODBmZjQwMGJkYTYwNGQzMmJjZjZjNTJjNjdkZjgwODAzMDg5NDJlY2Q2N2ZlNzAwOWJkOTlhZTYzYWY3MDg0Ni5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4Mzk0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Superb article, Rod...many thanks to you and to Jon Ward-Allen. I look forward to receiving more.

B

binka

A great and informative insight Rod, many thanks... My head is reeling after reading the article let alone spending a day with the great man.

This in particular would have been my idea of a living nightmare when I was a kid...

"Fred regards it as one of the saddest things that children are generally no longer allowed to enjoy fishing, either on their own or with their friends, during their formative years, as a direct result of perceived dangers to them if left unsupervised"

It does make me wonder what happened somewhere along the line, despite what by comparison seems a now sanitised world to years gone by, has it also by some contradiction become a more dangerous one?

Or has the parental common sense gene simply diminished? :confused:

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
A difficult and very complex point to address, Binka! At the risk of ruffling a few feathers I’d say the feminization of society over the past couple of decades has dragged-down the whole country, with males becoming less assertive for fear of the ‘sexist’ or ‘bully’ label. Our junior schools are almost exclusively run by females (males are petrified of abuse allegations) who have an obsession with “…keeping our children safe” This mantra must surely convince kids there’s a monster around every corner and that they should never act without first asking someone – a woman preferably. Take a look at the latest nonsense from the Feminazis: the banning of TACKLING in school rugger. Because statistics prove (quite genuinely, no doubt) that 1 in every 55,000 tackles results in an injury and 1 in every 233,000 tackles results in a concussion (or something very similar) these cosseted, unworldly women deem it their duty to ‘protect’ children…to ‘keep them safe’. What these overbearing women fail to see is the bigger picture; that society thrives on risk and chance and adventure and independence, and that casualties of one kind or another are the price we must pay for a well-balanced, dynamic society.

barbelboi

Reaction score
A most enjoyable article - I remember using his tackle and gun shop at Edgware (Chubbs) for some years after Jim Bruce closed down his Ealing shop.