new guru plummets

nova12

Reaction score
So today i bought some new guru plummets (yes I no a plummets a plummet ) but these have a inline system so the line goes through the plummet to the btm so you are getting pin point accuracy to the depth you want.what do you think? they come in 3 sizes 10 gram what I bought and 2 heavier ones which I didn't realise till i bought them why would you want a heavier plummet also if you are only fishing in waters up to 12feet depth won't the 10 gram do all types of depths as my old faithfulls where 14 gram? I buy alot of guru tackle from micro lead clips to rod rests and so on and so on and like all there tackle and nets also but is this going too far?

B

binka

To be fair, I would imagine that level of micro-accuracy could be too easily lost due to other factors such as a silty bottom.

If I needed that level of precision I would discard the plummet altogether and just shot the float up as normal and pinch an additional small shot, capable of sinking the shotted up float if under depth, onto the bend of the hook so that it doesn't sink into a soft bottom.

Each to their own like, that's just my way.

Edit to add: That's on the assumption you are fishing a stillwater, on rivers I go for the opposite and use the heaviest plummet I can.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a few plummets and find they're ok for cattying at people that annoy me :w.

Chefster

Reaction score
Ive bought some,in 20 and 30 g,as steve(Binka) said its impossible to plumb to dead depth,unless the lakebed was like a snooker table:D,but its nice to know your being as accurate as you can be,also i think the inline design will be kinder to light hooklengths..Gazza

bracket

Reaction score
Like binka I use the heaviest I can get, in fact I don't use a plummet at all. I take a 1oz bomb, cut off the tip, to give a flat surface, then use a slice of cork from a wine bottle which I secure to the bottom of the bomb with a small self tapper. Crude, but it certainly finds the deck on a river and resists the push of the flow. Plus the fact the cork base is easily replaced when worn. Pete.

Keith M

Reaction score
My favourite plummets used to have a coin shaped flat bottom with a 1inch long thin stem sticking up that had a short length of tubing over it, and came in various sizes.

They would tend to settle on top of silt (instead of sinking into it) and present the hook just off bottom.

I'm sure there were 3 or 4 plummets of different sizes in a packet and were only a pound or two per packet so only cost between 25p to 50p each.

Unfortunately I can't find these plummets anymore.

Nowerdays I just pinch a large shot over the bend of my hook and that does me fine.

Keith

Last edited:

Chefster

Reaction score
Like binka I use the heaviest I can get, in fact I don't use a plummet at all. I take a 1oz bomb, cut off the tip, to give a flat surface, then use a slice of cork from a wine bottle which I secure to the bottom of the bomb with a small self tapper. Crude, but it certainly finds the deck on a river and resists the push of the flow. Plus the fact the cork base is easily replaced when worn. Pete.
yes,but your not a tackle tart lol:D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well i have yet to find a plummet that doesn't hit the lake bed, and give me the depth.

In line ? i can't see it will make an ounce of difference from any other plummet, still interesting.

bracket

Reaction score
yes,but your not a tackle tart lol:D

Too true Chefster. No way could I be mistaken for a "tart " of any description. To my mind any tackle item must be practical and is for improving, modifying and generally using and abusing. If you want to own works of art, go shop at the Tate.

peterjg

Reaction score
For a light plummet I use 3 inch galvanised nails with a bit of silicon tubing pushed on the end, I then stick the hook into the tubing - I know, I know, I'm a tackle tart!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
For a light plummet I use 3 inch galvanised nails with a bit of silicon tubing pushed on the end, I then stick the hook into the tubing - I know, I know, I'm a tackle tart!

You nailed it though ------(that was dire, I know)

I use old nuts of various sizes, wrap a piece of copper wire round it with a small loop formed and super glue a piece of wine cork in the middle. They are flattish so dont sink much in silt.

Last edited:

dann

Reaction score
Us anglers really make it easy for the sales/marketing departments. Who ever decided a lump of metal with some cork on needed improving to get better accuracy.

I think we are all mugs :wh

Mine should arrive in tomorrows post :D

rayner

Reaction score
I use a 1oz plummet for most of it, I like an heavy one as I think it's easier to judge if I'm on much silt.
With silt the more fish you have feeding in the swim the deeper it gets as feeding fish dig a hole in the soft bottom.
If I want to plummet on top of the silt I then use a 2p coin with a piece of foam glued to it. I use this for fishing bread punch or bloodworm and joker.

laguna

Reaction score
I don't use plummets anymore I just stick a swan on the hook!
the old ones are the best... :D

anyway, I always thought the whole idea of a heavy plummet was for it to sink in silt so you could properly lay on.

nova12

Reaction score
Intresting now seeing what you all using lol never thought of it all like this ☺