PVA and salt question...

fishplate42

Reaction score
I understand the principle of how PVA mesh/bags work but I have just discovered (university of YouTube) that if you add salt to the wet ingredients it prevents them melting the bag until it is cast into the freshwater. I assume the freshwater dilutes (dissolves?) the salt to a point where the PVA will melt again. Not being a chemist, or ever studied chemistry, I can't apply any logic to this process at the moment so any theory will be appreciated.

This sounds like the answer to using sweetcorn. Are there any other baits that you guys use with salt added to make it PVA friendly? Hemp maybe?

Also is there a recommended ratio of salt to water? All I have found so far just advises the addition of salt. The nearest I got to a quantity was 'plenty'.

Are there any disadvantages to doing this?

Ralph.

laguna

Reaction score
Good question Ralph.
A sodium chloride solution disrupts the hydrogen bonding of water molecules and retards dissolving of poly vinyl alcohol. In simple terms; the salt and salty particles coat the inside of the PVA bag and allows the angler more time to reach bottom before the bag melts.
Salt content will vary (one teaspoon is more than enough to reach a 30ft bottom in summer) and is dependent on temperature, PVA thickness, permeability of the bag, water saturation of bait and depth. You can also increase the breakdown time significantly by coating both the outside and inside of the bag with salt solution if you wish, though not necessary in my opinion.

*dry salt becomes a solution from the moisture present in the bait

One teaspoonful is ample to prevent the bag melting, but this is considered too much (a repellent) when the same amount would suffice for adding to 1Kg of bait used as an attractor for example.

Saltwater (sea water) will also affect PVA and retard breakdown times, its pretty much useless in the dead sea!

Some people reckon that adding salt is bad for the environment.

john step

Reaction score
Ralph, some bait distributors market tins of particles that are " PVA friendly.
Salt ...I reckon.
Also recently sea salt has been marketed as a carp attractor. Sold in polo mint shapes to attach to end tackle I believe.

Some people will buy anything with a carp label on it.

lee_j

Reaction score
I just use dry groundbait pal , drain your corn or whatever your putting in a bag mix it in dry groundbait and bag it , works a treat I also dump my end tackle in dry groundbait just to dry it off so it doesn't melt the pva before I get a chance to cast it out .

laguna

Reaction score
Ralph, some bait distributors market tins of particles that are " PVA friendly.
Salt ...I reckon.
Also recently sea salt has been marketed as a carp attractor. Sold in polo mint shapes to attach to end tackle I believe.

Some people will buy anything with a carp label on it.

I heard the salt rings have since been discontinued John, something to do with causing havoc with the machines? I find that particular reason a little curious as all is needed is a rubber mould to form a shape.

But your right, some do buy into anything. There was this time when a very 'famous' celeb angler (ex salesman) I know repeatedly sold out of bottled 'magic wonder liqueur' over the weekend at a trade show... all it was was a 500ml bottle of coloured saline with a name on!

lee_j

Reaction score
I can handle that John, it's explaining the fish meal stains to the missus I'm struggling with mate , I was thinking of starting a thread regarding this problem :eek: