''Husk, the universal bait''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
For those that may be unfamiliar with the name, Husk is the name in my area relates to the stage where maggots turn to Chrisalis, and float.

Yes I know that Maggots, bread and Worms would also qualify, but back in the day many of us believed that the husk would produce better quality fish of most species.

My question is, does anyone still use them, or are we now in a time where ''caster'' dominates? Funnily enough when fish ceased to come up for the Husk, the addition of a small shot(on the drop) I suppose would qualify as a form of caster. If it reached bottom then could it be classed as a pop up? A still water application however.

john step

Reaction score
For those that may be unfamiliar with the name, Husk is the name in my area relates to the stage where maggots turn to Chrisalis, and float.

Yes I know that Maggots, bread and Worms would also qualify, but back in the day many of us believed that the husk would produce better quality fish of most species.

My question is, does anyone still use them, or are we now in a time where ''caster'' dominates? Funnily enough when fish ceased to come up for the Husk, the addition of a small shot(on the drop) I suppose would qualify as a form of caster. If it reached bottom then could it be classed as a pop up? A still water application however.

Derek,
Some of the tight wads I know use the maggots paid for in any state and condition. The irony is some of them still seem to catch more than me. :eek:mg:

Keith M

Reaction score
Derek, When you say "the stage where maggots turn to Chrisalis" Do you mean a floating caster? or the maggot just before it fully transforms into a caster and just looks like a stiffish maggot?

When I'm using casters I keep most of them in water to keep them sinking, but I always keep a few on the side out of the water to turn into floating casters and will use one of these together with a sinker to slow down the baits descent in the water.

I also sometimes let my caster dry in the sun and fire a few of these out onto the surface when I am chasing Rudd shoals on the surface with a float.

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would still use floating casters if I wanted to make my hook baits more buoyant so I'd put a floater or two on the hook together with a sinker.

When fishing caster one of the first things I do is to skim ogg any floaters and keep them in a separate bait box, so I can play with different levels of critical buoyancy baits through the session.

Also, the last thing I usually want is to have any floaters in with my freebies only to entice fish out of my baited swim or peg.

rayner

Reaction score
One pond close to my home has a fair stock of Bream to about 3lb.
I use husk for them in warm weather.
The husk I use are left until they turn black, hook bait is suspended just touching the surface. The Bream love feeding from the surface.
It's strange that you rarely see the Bream until they're hooked.
Husk catches me more fish in summer, as good as pellets.

daniel121

Reaction score
I would still use floating casters if I wanted to make my hook baits more buoyant so I'd put a floater or two on the hook together with a sinker.

When fishing caster one of the first things I do is to skim ogg any floaters and keep them in a separate bait box, so I can play with different levels of critical buoyancy baits through the session.

Also, the last thing I usually want is to have any floaters in with my freebies only to entice fish out of my baited swim or peg.

Excellent post Peter,

People get to 'eat up' with wonder baits or pet floats or such things in fishing. Ultimately there is nothing wrong with these supertision's but realistically like my lucky coat - they mean nothing :)

There is no such thing as a wonder bait, the fish look at how baits both hook and loose feed act in the water, if using a floating caster helps with the presentation of the hook bait to make it look like the loose offerings - do it,

It's that simple really - bigger wisef fish fall to better presentated bait ;);)