Credit where credit due

The bad one

Reaction score
Last week I had cause to phone the EA over a slight pollution incident in my local park. The background to this is thus: I'd gone in birdwatching as I do most days, it's a large park with quite diverse habitats, therefore we get lots of birds in it, some quite locally rare. In one of the Dells (small mature wooded valley) there's a stream in it. The stream appears on old maps (100 year old) but doesn't have a name, and drained the surrounding fields from the time before they were built on with housing.

To accommodate the sewer drainage for the housing development that was built (1960s) the then utility company put a main sewer pipe in from it under the stream. I can only come to the conclusion that the stream must have been dry when the surveyors looked at it and drew up the plans. Thereby deciding that was the most direct route to take to the down hill the sewerage works about a mile away. Why else would you put in a main sewer pipe under a stream?

Anyway on the day I noticed the stream was discoloured about halfway down it. So down the embankment I went to investigate what was causing it and was met with the pungent sewage smell. This little stream meets another slightly large stream that runs into two small reservoirs that are owned by a Dead Man's Shoes Angling Club, which I'm not a member of. I followed the pollution to it's source up stream to a manhole cover, which had lifted slightly in the heavy rains we have had all winter up here.

I rang the pollution hotline for the EA, and thanks to the beauty of the Smart Phone GPS I could give them a precise grid reference to within 5 metres of the source.
It's a point worth bearing in mind for several reasons as anglers, not least reporting incidents and/or if you have an accident whilst out fishing and you need the emergency services.

With in an hour I had a call back from an IPC officer who was on site looking at the pollution and just about to get United Utilities out to fix the problem, which was done within 8 hours of me reporting it.
So as the title says, credit where credits due!

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done for reporting it, a lot of people would have just kept on walking.

ALL Anglers ought to report each and every incident if and when encountered.

To do so you simply have to call: Telephone: 0800 80 70 60 FREE

Read about what types of incident can, and should, be reported HERE:

https://www.gov.uk/report-an-environmental-incident

Call
Send SMS
Call from mobile
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fair enough Phil, that's great, and good on you for reporting it but that's just one minor problem solved...a token jesture from them maybe.
I know of far more instances where no credit is due than the odd one where it is.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well done Phil, you did the right thing.

Now next time you use your Loo, make sure your man hole is covered ;):D

Philip

Reaction score
I like this story as I think it highlights why anglers ARE fish friendly.

I doubt very much if a non angler would have gone to the effort of Phil to determine the nature of the problem. I imagine most non anglers would in fact not even have noticed the problem in the first place.

Ban angling. Fish are better off without anglers.

Yeah sure.

Well done Phil.